"These days, folks have a lot of funny ideas about what makes a Real Cowboy..."
The Real Texas is an action adventure game that plays like a mashup of Zelda: Link to the Past and Ultima VI.
Sam, an ordinary Texas rancher, is on holiday in England when he steps through a blue portal and into a purgatory dimension, Strange:
Here, a friendly witch is handing out guns to visitors. A crazed, German-speaking wizard hurls elecbolts from his castle. And upriver, something's going on that involves a lot of chickens.
Stuck in the middle sits Sam, a Real Cowboy.
... But that's just his job title back home-- it's not obvious that it's of any practical help here!
The game has been out for awhile-- here's some reviews from other sites:
- "This thing is like some bizarre voxel dream, with its square, swaggerin' cowboys and its castles and insane German wizard-scientists and talking rats . . . It's fun and beautiful and a little bit rough on purpose, and I suppose I'll never forget it." - Abram03
- "i will never forget this surreal nostalgic ride. i haven't had such a rewarding experience in a long time." - countersweet
- "This game is incredible and I cannot recommend it enough to everyone." - Microwave
- Kill things with six types of classic cowboy and fantasy weapons
- Rummage through peoples' houses without fear of retribution while they go about their daily business
- Help people out with their PROBLEMS (*rolls eyes*) often by shooting your gun many, many times-- just like real life!
- Many special items and powerups, optional areas, and two types of chicken cutlets to collect
- Wear a bullet-proof vest underneath a sequined evening-gown if you want
- Supports all main game/life perlis including boss battles, enemies, traps, the estate tax
"The Real Texas is an incredibly smart game, particularly in how it deals with large metaphysical ideas and conveys them to the player. The dialogue is well written and the humor is one of game's brightest aspects. Although not all of the ideas work out perfectly, this is certainly an experience that is hard to find anywhere else... " - Read More
"The Real Texas is like Earthbound – a quirky, easygoing bit of RPG design and storytelling. It’s like Ultima – a wide-open RPG world that expects you to live or die by your own choices and freedom to roam. It’s like Zelda – a focused action-adventure full of dungeons to explore, bosses to conquer, essential gear to collect and a day to save. " - Read More