Board index IndieGameStand Featured Game Deals Guns of Icarus Online [Apr 18th-22nd]

Guns of Icarus Online [Apr 18th-22nd]

Official threads for IndieGameStand's 4-day game deals

Post April 18th, 2013, 7:42 am

Notice: Guns of Icarus Online is available exclusively through Steam. A direct download is not available for this game.

“Calling All Loyal Citizens!

CAPTAINS and CREW Wanted! Take charge of your destiny and gain valuable SKILLS for the future!

PILOTS – GUNNERS – ENGINEERS – All needed for cargo transit and airspace defense!

EXPLORE strange lands! CAPTURE valuable resources! TRAVEL the world and DEFEAT pirate scum!

JOIN THE AIRSHIP RESERVE!”

- Empire Recruitment Flier

It’s not an easy life, but there’s nothing else like it. Plenty of folks like yourself have decided to slip the surly bonds of earth and take to the skies after hearing tales of bold Captains, fearless Gunners, and cunning Engineers and their high-flying exploits. Think you have what it takes to join their ranks?

Raising the stakes on team-based PvP combat with an emphasis on strategic competition and truly cooperative play, Guns of Icarus Online is the premier airship combat game that’s all about teamwork, tactics, and fast-paced action. With a good ship and the right crew, you can conquer the skies!
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post April 18th, 2013, 8:33 am

Steam-only? Abandoning DRM-free? I see...
Probably its easier to sell just keys without any hassle with downloads and such thing, but on other side - that then makes you different from numerous steam-key stores? Anyway, not going to pay for it and will not encourage anyone.

Post April 18th, 2013, 8:44 am

This game is only available on Steam - we approve each deal on its own merits

Post April 18th, 2013, 9:20 am

Toyotame wrote:
Probably its easier to sell just keys without any hassle with downloads and such thing, but on other side - that then makes you different from numerous steam-key stores? Anyway, not going to pay for it and will not encourage anyone.

Guns of Icarus is a multiplayer only game, and for some indies its much easier to for them to use steams matchmaking etc.

Guns of Icarus is quite an interesting title, its very team orientated. We need more of these types of games around the place. Its fun and frantic with a great style.

They also have a Kickstarter up for adventure mode, which is add a persistent world, with towns and trade, kickstart it here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mus ... e?ref=live

Post April 18th, 2013, 9:28 am

I honestly don't care if a game is Steam only. I'd rather have good games that are Steam exclusive come here than them not be on IGS at all. That being said.. I got Guns of Icarus Online from an Indie Royale, the only thing I'm missing is the DLC so I'll be passing on this deal.
Last edited by spoderman on April 18th, 2013, 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post April 18th, 2013, 9:29 am

Yeah Multiplayer games have stricter DRM requirements - remember Gimbal? It was not DRM free and required the developer's own key.

Post April 18th, 2013, 11:01 am

mgnade wrote:
Yeah Multiplayer games have stricter DRM requirements - remember Gimbal? It was not DRM free and required the developer's own key.

But we at least was not required to register on steam, install client and so on. Its strange to how developers getting lazy today - "multiplayer? oh, just use Steam". Just like its cannot be maintained without 3rd party servers. Fine fine, Airbuccaners, you did lazy development and got lazy sales, fair enough.

Post April 18th, 2013, 11:03 am

The developer designed this game to run on Steam's technology - it uses Steamworks or something like that

Post April 18th, 2013, 11:22 am

Toyotame wrote:

I understand your frustration but I don't think this is entirely fair. It's not like we are talking about a poorly drawn flash quality game here. If you're a Steam user, this is a quality deal. If you're not a Steam user, yeah this deal might not be for you.

The important thing is, no one was misled. I feel like IGS did a good job being up front about exactly what they are selling here. Good on them for that.

Post April 18th, 2013, 11:25 am

Cutting its short - its game that developed to work solely on Steam with Steam DRM, multilayer provided by Steam, and steam steam steam.
Well, that that developers decided, so nothing to add.
But i really disappointed by IGS here. I was kind of believing that IGS is nice new provider of NON-Steam or NOT-ONLY-Steam games (if you object about DRM-free and multilayer), but now i see that this was wrong idea.
Yeah yeah, you need to do serious business here but its sad thing to see.

Post April 18th, 2013, 7:53 pm

And so the last bastion of multiplatform[*] DRM-free games crumbled into dust. Sic transit gloria mundi... :(

[*] Not as often as I'd like, but... it's something.

Post April 19th, 2013, 2:37 am

I would just like to say that as a steam user I found this deal amazing, since essentially it's providing a service that can make a game up to 95% off its retail value while at the same time encouraging donating to charity. Steam is probably the best service for creating multiplayer focused games because Steam can provide the matchmaking and whatnot, as opposed to the indie developer having to. Being so upset at IGS that it's a steam exclusive title just seems elitist to me. Though maybe that's just steam's steam bath brainwash on me.

Post April 19th, 2013, 3:23 am

Numberfox wrote:
I would just like to say that as a steam user I found this deal amazing, since essentially it's providing a service that can make a game up to 95% off its retail value while at the same time encouraging donating to charity. Steam is probably the best service for creating multiplayer focused games because Steam can provide the matchmaking and whatnot, as opposed to the indie developer having to. Being so upset at IGS that it's a steam exclusive title just seems elitist to me. Though maybe that's just steam's steam bath brainwash on me.

I agree with you, having a few Steam-only deals on IGS every now and then definitely isn't a bad thing. Having a more limited selection of games to choose from just because some people don't like Steam-only deals would affect IGS negatively IMO.

Post April 19th, 2013, 7:17 am

Many bundles think same way and end up offering only Steam keys. "Just because they more popular".

Post April 19th, 2013, 8:35 am

Numberfox wrote:

I'm sorry, but that's too much for me. I can put up with being called an elitist just for defending DRM-free games and showing my discontent with an indie games venue which seemed to encourage and support them. I can obviously also put up with being offered a game I can't play based on my principles, after all it's only a matter of waiting 3 more days until the new feature comes up. But please don't mention the charity aspect, specially after blatantly pointing out the fact that people can get (and most of them have got, according to the sale figures) the game at a ridiculous price.

It's the most recurrent argument to arise when someone complains about a sale lacking either DRM-free or multiplatform games, they're sistematically shooed away as if what they were opposing to was the charity in itself. And to prove their point, the shooers then go and pay as few as they can to get the game/bundle/whatever. They are being cheap but hey, it's all for the charity! :roll:

So please say you're a happy Steam customer, that you love the multiplayer, the achievements and other features provided by Steamworks, but don't pull the charity crap on me/us.

Post April 19th, 2013, 11:21 am

I like what's being said here.

The view that Toyotame presents is common in some of our users, and I think it is a very valid argument.

Though, we have only had maybe 2 games that were not "drm free". I think that some are quick to not understand the concept on the business side of gaming. If you are making a multiplayer online game it would be DUMB to not try and work steam only into your game. If you have a lot of money and don't care about people playing your game, then that is fine. Gimbal is a great game - I rarely see a huge amount of people playing that game at one time.

Programming a stand alone multiplayer mode is not just hard, it's costly.

Still, IGS is not going to reject a great game because it's online-only through Steam.

I'm also quite confused about why anyone even cares about this whole DRM free thing. So you can give it to your friends? Archive small indie games without keys? Personally it has no effect on me. SimTower, SimCity, SimAnt, SimFarm back in the day had keys - that was just normal.

AND - When you own it through steam, you own it forever. So it is still yours even if you format your drives.

I could be way off, for me personally DRM free doesn't factor in a game purchase. If the game is cool, I get it.

Nerdlife.
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post April 19th, 2013, 11:27 am

canj wrote:
I'm also quite confused about why anyone even cares about this whole DRM free thing. So you can give it to your friends?

You're starting to sound dangerously close to the Ubisoft CEO.

BTW, almost all my games have DRM of some sort. I just like the idea of non-drm and am afraid that without fighting against it that we will continue to see more intrusive forms of DRM. Personally, I'm okay with Steam and key activations. Not okay with persistent online, TAGES Solidshield, GFWL (sometimes), uPlay (sometimes) and some other nasties I can't think of atm.

I am really glad to see Guns of Icarus Online here at IGS. I think a lot of people are. I also hope we continue to to have games like we have in the past and that we feature some lesser known (under-the-radar) games here and there. I like when we can help get stuff Greenlit or give starving devs some money to feed themselves. But, I know this is a business too, so I can appreciate that some money-makers might take precedence.

Anyway, I am likely to always be a fan of IndieGameStand and their choices.

Post April 19th, 2013, 11:35 am

And now i will correct to that you OWN NOTHING on Steam - you just "rent" them without time limit. There was NUMEROUS cases about Steam account to be banned, about keys be revoked.
All this crap impossible then you have installer not tied to anything.

Everyone here like music in wma files with drm? no? no, everyone using mp3's, but then we talking about games some peoples just turn in to creatures obsessed with having icons in profile. "its not on steam? i will not purchase then". "i pirate everything not on steam".

So, you believe that you owns something located not on your PC? Ok, there is example - IndieGala going to shutdown all Drm-free and music downloads they included in past bundles. Gala customers "had: these files ant in instant they have nothing if..not bucked up them.

I dont need that. Nope, i better store them all on my huge HD like in past

I will cite Richard Stallman in then end "Do your own computing on your own computer with your copy of a freedom-respecting program. If you use a proprietary program or somebody else's web server, you're defenceless. You're putty in the hands of whoever developed that software."

Post April 19th, 2013, 11:41 am

canj wrote:
Still, IGS is not going to reject a great game because it's online-only through Steam.

Way to go. Start with small, there is bright future of selling defunct Steam games in future as Gala did it in previous bundle.
That yours site and service and IGS can sell anything yit want, even apple pies, but we dont need and we wont support it.
There is tons of key only store and bundles after all.

Post April 19th, 2013, 11:42 am

PlayerReview wrote:
canj wrote:
I'm also quite confused about why anyone even cares about this whole DRM free thing. So you can give it to your friends?

You're starting to sound dangerously close to the Ubisoft CEO.

I don't know if the Ubisoft CEO is a cynical hypocrite, but surely here canj is acting like one. If you don't care at all about this whole DRM free thing, why do you advertise your site as not only DRM-free-friendly but as a DRM-free-only one?

Next

Return to Featured Game Deals