Board index Gaming Gaming General The IGS Playdates topic.

The IGS Playdates topic.

Want to talk about games that aren't indie? Do we have the forum for you!

Post May 28th, 2013, 1:12 am

So firstly, thanks to Player for putting this idea in my head. I really hope this topic can take off, could potentially be a lot of fun. So we chat all the time on IRC, but rarely do any of us play any games together, well I haven't anyways, so I thought perhaps a new topic was in order. In this topic we post what online games we are playing and a rough time we plan to play them, then others can come and go as they please. This way we have a general idea of what time so we can join in.

- Just simply post in this topic what online game you'd like to play and a day/time you plan to play.

- Frequent this topic and join in! That is if you own said game.

It can be anything, say you're just looking for one other person to play Wyv and Keep with, or a slew of people to blast each other in Gimbal. It can be any game at all, Dota, LoL, Awesomenauts, StarCraft 2, Blood Bowl, The Ship, I could go on and on. So please, feel free to post here if you have a rough estimate on when you'd like to play and let's do this!

Post May 28th, 2013, 1:59 pm

I am in for some gimbal or guns of icarus, tonight around 9PM Central time. Let me know if anyone wants to play.
Youtube channel: mrskid117

Post May 28th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Most of the time I'm free so just let me know. I'm down for Gimbal, Dota, Awesomenauts, Guns of Icarus and Blood Bowl.

Post May 28th, 2013, 4:12 pm

I just got Awesomenauts so i am also down for that.

Post May 28th, 2013, 10:43 pm

This is a nice idea, provided we can get it to actually work. I have some experience in trying to set up community gaming times on another site: see here and here for two failed attempts to kickstart the Game On! events over at Arqade (formerly gaming.stackexchange.com). I even made a video splash screen which only got used a handful of times before we gave up trying to bring it back.

The general overarching problem is that it's very difficult to get enough people in the community together at regular times to play specific games together, especially given that many of us are in different time zones. There usually aren't as many people actually interested in these sorts of events as it may appear at first, partly because many will just skip it unless it's a game they really like.

It's difficult to choose game[s] that everyone will be interested in, and want to play; this normally isn't a problem in self-directed multiplayer sessions, particularly on large-scale gaming communities where you just make a thread for a specific game if you want to find people to play with. Something like what you're suggesting here means the gaming meetups will be scheduled to fixed times, and the game being played will be dictated to the participants. If I don't have Gimbal, for example, I probably won't turn up to the Gimbal game session. Factor in the nearly 100% chance that at least one or two of the people who do have the chosen game (and are interested) probably won't be able to make it for whatever reason, and you end up with 2-4 people very often. Something you can do to alleviate some of this issue is to include free games in the rotation (TF2 was a favourite on Arqade, for example). This way, people who don't have the other games can still participate. Including extremely popular games (Minecraft) is another way to get more people interested.

Soli wrote:
- Just simply post in this topic what online game you'd like to play and a day/time you plan to play.

Simply having everyone post "I'm up for x game at y time" in the thread is essentially an exercise in futility. Nothing would ever get played; there's too much entropy, when you toss in a dozen or so (at the very least) users. To really make this work as a regular thing, there needs to be a really well-designed system in place, and how you approach that depends entirely on the community. If we really want to get this off the ground, some users interested in helping out should get together in the chat or something and come up with a plan for how it's going to work. One thing I would highly suggest right off the bat is to work contests and special events into the system as part of the 'branding'; stuff like this really helps to generate new interest in the community program from otherwise apathetic community members, as well as from outside sources.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

I'm not saying that this idea can't work, but it's going to take a lot of effort on the part of the community (and active users in particular); probably more effort than a bunch of you guys realize and/or may be willing to put into it. The Game On! event was phased out at Arqade because we couldn't get it to work, and Arqade has a much larger amount of engaged community members than IndieGameStand does at this point.
Last edited by GnomeSlice on May 29th, 2013, 12:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post May 28th, 2013, 10:53 pm

I'm obviously down for this, and we can totally place it as an event on Steam when we have agreed times (especially for GoIO and Gimbal)!

Nobody has a better userbase than IGS! Okay, that is probably naive... but, i have played with several IGS community members on various games and it was better than anything I've ever experienced in my life.

I'm working now (again), so I am not as flexible as I have been... but, the weekends would be great :) What games do you want to play, and what times do you want to play them?... I never fall through on a commitment and if a few of us commit, then at least we'll have one bitchin' night. I'm available Friday and Saturday nights to dominate with those that stand by my side. If 1% of our Steam group got together, that is 3 of us, and to me... that is a win!

Post May 29th, 2013, 12:45 am

Saturday, 6/1/13 at 10pm est, Player, cst, Adoray and myself will be playing Guns of Icarus Online. All are welcome to join in.

Post May 29th, 2013, 1:00 am

I am in.

Post May 29th, 2013, 1:03 am

I made a IGS Steam event post on this playdate, if it helps... it is probably obvious, but i just modified the names from Soli's post (cheap copy/paste job)

IndieGameStand Playdate (Guns of Icarus Online)

Post May 29th, 2013, 11:25 am

PlayerReview wrote:
i have played with several IGS community members on various games and it was better than anything I've ever experienced in my life.

Boy, your wedding must have been shit.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post May 29th, 2013, 12:44 pm

We should also schedule an Airmech play session since it's free. (Gnome's idea)
I probably won't be playing Guns of Icarus with you guys since I believe it's around 3 AM here in Portugal at that time. :cry:

Post May 29th, 2013, 10:06 pm

I think that steam is the best way to do this. I have waaay to many games that I play but I would love to get in on something. Gimbal would be great but I am UNBEARABLE..
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post May 29th, 2013, 10:48 pm

So I've been playing a bit of The Banner Saga: Factions today. Enjoying it, wouldn't mind playing some of you guys, I don't have any date or time in mind yet, but expect it soon possibly. I'm pretty terrible, but it was fun.

Post May 30th, 2013, 1:49 am

I actually play Rift. It's an great MMORPG and makes a lot of fun!
On 12th June Rift gets free to play (not pay to win). But it's possible to play the lite version until you're level 20 and if you download raptr and play 14 hours you get the full version and the storm legion add on for free and have permanent advantages.

Post May 31st, 2013, 2:32 pm

I would love to, but to be fair, I am married and have a work schedule of around 70-75 hours a week.
AAAAAND I am probably on a different timezone of you all, so it would be REALLY hard for me to try and play with all you guys. What would be easier is if we had posts on the steam group whenever ppl got togheter to play anything!

Post June 1st, 2013, 6:58 pm

I'm playing Guns of Icarus Online right now in the EU servers so if anyone wants to play feel free to drop by the IGS Steam chat.

Post June 1st, 2013, 11:14 pm

Lots of fun guys hope we have another game night soon.

Post June 2nd, 2013, 1:32 am

Yeah it was a good time. Hopefully we'll do it again soon, perhaps a less laggy game, heh.

Post June 2nd, 2013, 2:05 am

Well, we did finish in style at least (ships IGS Heavy and IGS Lite decimated the competition)... we were able to see at least 7 community members in the game and it was great fun.

Some of the members I'll mention were there at various times were:

Soli, Zorder, CST003, Adoray/IndyAdvant, SKID117 and T-Rexx. If I missed anyone, please let me know.

This was a great idea for Soli to post and I hope this thread stays alive and we can play more games more often. I hope to arrange something officially again maybe for next Saturday and I am interested in moving the time slot earlier so more players can join (Zorder stayed up very late for us and it was appreciated). Not sure on the game yet, but do have some ideas. Feel free to post anything here or on the Steam forums (or both) regarding games and times... all ideas are welcome and we have a good deal of them already.

Post June 2nd, 2013, 5:45 am

I'm glad to see that everyone enjoyed it, including myself even though I was barely awake (heh). I'm also happy to see that our mighty feel gave no chance to our enemies, I hope there's still some rum and ale left on the ship's basement for me to celebrate!

Next

Return to Gaming General