Board index Gaming Indie Games Survival Games

Survival Games

Talk about all things indie gaming here

Post November 9th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Hello there, so Don't Starve is now avaiable for pre-order on Steam and it really looks interesting but I was browsing and I found out this game called Haven & Hearth. I believe it's in alpha and it's free to play at the moment, some people say it is similar to Don't Starve. Have any of you guys played any of these two games? If so what are your opinions? Regards, Z

Post November 9th, 2012, 7:42 pm

I haven't played either - but, i wish that Gnomoria had graphics on par with those games (animation-wise). I can't help but feel like a lot of others do, that Gnomoria is Dwarf Fortress with StoneSense. I don't really like the graphic style of Don't Starve, but it is probably the stronger version.

Post November 9th, 2012, 8:21 pm

I have played both games. Neither are anything like Gnormoria or Dwarf Fortress, more like Minecraft in its single player crafting up, if you get me.

Don't Starve is single player only. Its quite fun, but early in development and missing stuff. Its made by the people that make Shank, and Mark of the Ninja so expect high quality.I have it as a google chrome app, I am not sure if the steam version is the same. Its worth the price as you get 2 codes, one for a friend, so you could split the cost. Its regularly updated, plus when you research and learn things you keep it the knowledge after death, so each game you get better and better, there is a lot of experimenting, so if you like to figure things out by yourself and don't mind dieing a lot in games, its for you

Haven & Hearth is a multiplayer MMO, with a lot of griefers, its got a great idea but its really had to get into. It is also very old but never near finished. They have another game atm that they are working on called Salem, which is the same idea as H&H and Don't Starve in that you start out with nothing and have to scavenge and learn and build up to get a camp site and then a house, and find a town to join. Its a crafting MMO. I played in the first stages of alpha and loved what I played for a time, but there was a lot of griefers and you needed to spend a lot of time at it to get any where. I have no idea what state it is in now, as that was 3 months ago or more. I have a spare Beta key for Salem if you want it Zorder. Salem website http://www.salemgame.com/

In conclusion Don't Starve is great but if you want to try Salem, let us know and I will shoot you a code.

Post November 9th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Even the evil IGN has brought attention to Salem... as a result, it will probably do well. The graphics are basically H&H with a lot more work.

Play for free (limited codes per day) @ http://beta.salemthegame.com/

@ Kiril: Thanks for the heads up, my fam came from Denmark so it is always nice to see stuff from Sweden/Scandinavia (albeit, Paradox (which is hit or miss))... i got my code and am going to try this out.

BTW: Salem is an MMO, but you can operate fairly autonomously... with the exception of the occasional griefer, which is in some cases encouraged (career criminal). You just build up your defenses.
Last edited by PlayerReview on November 9th, 2012, 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post November 9th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Hey Kiril, I had never heard of Salem but it looks interesting do you mind giving away that key? Also is it single player only and/or multiplayer?

Post November 10th, 2012, 7:42 am

Salem is a full MMO, like Haven & Hearth, but set in the Americas with the first pilgrims.

Return to Indie Games