Board index Gaming Indie Games So, what indies are you currently playing?

So, what indies are you currently playing?

Talk about all things indie gaming here

Post November 1st, 2012, 10:27 pm

In this topic we discuss what indies we are currently playing, our progress in the game, and what we think of it. Great little topic for discovering and introducing indies others may not have played or even heard of. I'm currently playing two different indies and recently beat one that I will also mention:

The Real Texas: This is my third time starting this game up, the reason I kept restarting was because I kept missing all the little side-quests in the game, it's chalk full of them. As of now I'm not too awful far in the main story, but I made sure to do all the different side-quests up to this point. It's really good fun, if I'm willing to start it up 3 different times that surely says something about it. If you were a fan of ALttP I recommend this one. The game is 14.95 but if you Greenlight it I think there's a 30% discount, not sure how it works though, I bought it long before it got on Greenlight.

Pid: I only just started up Pid, been watching it's progress and anticipating it's release. I really can't say too much about it now, like I had said, I only just started. What little I did play is great fun though. It's currently 9.99 on Steam.

Ascension: So I started and beat Ascension in just one night. Partially because it's a pretty short game, but more so because I just couldn't stop playing it. It's a 2D horror game made by Magnesium Ninja Studios. It takes place inside your workplace, a skyscraper (I think). Suddenly the lights go out and your daughter goes missing, your main objective is to find her and get out. Of course the workplace is suddenly full of these creatures... Pretty fun game, only takes 1-2 hours to complete, but it's also free so you really can't go wrong there.

Post November 1st, 2012, 11:59 pm

Lovely topic. Here are two indie games that I'm currently enjoying.

Iji: An older indie game but a fantastic one nonetheless. A fully fleshed out metroidvania stylized game with an interesting story, solid leveling system, multiple ending, and plenty of hidden extras. Extremely easy to pick up and enjoy. I've probably played it about 5 times and it's just as fun as the first time I played it. I really love how you can go about beating a level through different methods and the leveling system allows you to play the game based on your own preference. You can even skip most of the dialogue if that's not your thing since they're mostly audio logs strewn about the levels.

Treasure Adventure Game: A pixel-art sidescrolling adventure game. Exploration at it's finest. Probably one of my favorite soundtracks to boot. A constant challenge, at least for me including some really fun boss battles. It's based on a world made of smaller islands akin to Wind Waker so you eventually get a taste of some 2D open world exploration throughout the game. Oh and the puzzles, absolutely perfect.

Both of the ones I'm playing are free but you should be able to get a solid 6+ hours out of each of them. I haven't quite beaten Treasure Adventure Game yet either.

Post November 2nd, 2012, 12:08 am

Iji, I played a good bit of, never did beat it though. TAG however I did beat and enjoyed immensely. One boss towards the end I'll never forget, he gave me such a hard time. I literally quit the game for like a month because of him, then I went back to it and beat him within a couple tries, maybe 3 or 4. Funny how that works sometimes.

I just beat Unfinished Swan on PSN - AWESOME AWESOME GAME. One of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I have had in awhile. That game proves that video games are Art.

I've also been playing Retro City Rampage and a good amount of MegaByte Punch.

Post November 2nd, 2012, 11:12 am

Gnomoria, that's what brought me here in the first place such an awesome game. It's one of those games that makes me really care about by "people" watching them die is just sad.
Awesomenauts, can't get sick of that game, I only find one problem that's sometimes you play against/with people with so much high ping and it just screws up the experience.
NEO Scavenger, this game is a blast! Hand drawn environments plus turn based combat oldschool with random loot. That was what I was looking for a while.
And last but not the least, Project Zomboid. I'm pretty sure you guys are aware of this game if you'r not you must check it out. I must say that is for me without question the top 2 if not top 1 zombie game I ever played. It's not just a zombie shooter, it's an isometric survival game in which the point of the game is to survive as long as you can but no matter what you do you end up dying either if it's by running out of supplies or by zombification, you will die!

Post November 3rd, 2012, 12:33 pm

FTL ( Faster Than Light ) Awesome game, really fun and can jump in and out if you do no have much time to play. GOod for when I'm in a casual mood.
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Amnesia and Lone Survivor (still in post Halloween mode). Just finished my first playthrough of Home (I am one of the few people that apparently enjoyed it, if mainly for the storytelling).

Also, getting back to Resonance, Stealth Bastard, Of Light and Shadow and the much acclaimed Bastion.

Stealth Bastard, great game, haven't played it in awhile though. You know they're making a Deluxe edition and releasing it on Steam sometime this month? Really looking forward to that.

Source: http://indiegames.com/2012/10/stealth_bastard_deluxe_coming_.html

Post November 10th, 2012, 2:12 am

So I started playing Waking Mars, I just picked it up from HIB Android 4. Amazing game, can't recommend it enough, seriously, go buy it.

Post November 10th, 2012, 3:21 am

@ Soli - thanks for the update on Stealth Bastard.. it is insane that it is F2P... it is a fantastic game - also, I am enjoying Waking Mars... unfortunately, I've only gotten as far as starting to plant from seeds... so, not far in enough to have a credible opinion. However, it is apparent that it has great mechanics as well as story-telling.

Post November 15th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Just started playing Little Inferno and it's very reminiscent of World of Goo. Simple but strangely alluring with a wacky story... first hour went by in a wink.

Post November 15th, 2012, 2:11 pm

I'm actually playing Torchlight, but I'm almost finish. Next game I'll playing is to the moon.

Post November 16th, 2012, 5:32 pm

FTL, Hotline Miami, Unity of Command and Probability 0.

Post November 17th, 2012, 1:41 pm

I'm a pretty avid player of Indie Games. I've played a load of them, and here are some of my recommendations:

If you guys haven't already, you should definitely check out Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers. Despite its length, it's a fantastic game, and well worth the $9.99 they're charging for it right now.

Another one to try is sidescrolling Out There Somewhere, which is also quite short, but still extremely good.

The Lunar Pack is a small bundle containing BossBaddie studios' first two games, and their soundtracks. The bundle is worth the full price for Wake alone, which is an intense and atmospheric sidescrolling game where you play as an engineer trying to escape a sinking ship. Even better, I think they forgot that they have it for sale on indievania, because the price still hasn't been raised there from the $1 minimum.

King Arthur's Gold is a game you simply must try. It's sort of like what would happen if Team Fortress and Terraria had a baby. You can play with a free account with most of the features, and a premium account is only something like $10 (totally worth it).

Nitronic Rush is 100% fun and 100% free (but you really need a gamepad to play it properly).

Megabyte Punch feel like an homage to Super Smash Brothers; the gameplay is very similar. It's a sidescrolling fighting game where you can destroy enemies robots and pick up their parts to give yourself new abilities. You can customize your entire body to give yourself the abilities and attributes you like the most.

I haven't played Voxatron in months, but it looks like it's still receiving update after update and the community is still extremely active. Lots of community content in this one means you have hundreds of levels to play through.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post November 18th, 2012, 1:43 am

Just won a premium beta key for Air Buccaneers, so, going to give that a try. I'll suggest it if it plays well - it has already been greenlit.

There is also a free beta (guest) version - DL at http://www.ludocraft.com/games/airbuccaneers/download/ if you want to try it out.

Update: Game is already almost all polished. Very nice game - I encourage everyone to take a look at the demo.

Post November 18th, 2012, 3:04 pm

PlayerReview wrote:
Game is already almost all polished. Very nice game - I encourage everyone to take a look at the demo.

I picked this up a while ago in one of the GamersGate indie bundles, and I finally got around to trying about a month ago. I only played for maybe 2 minutes and I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing or how to do it. From your post though, it sounds like I'll have to give it another look, I really liked the concept from reading about it.
Last edited by GnomeSlice on November 21st, 2012, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post November 18th, 2012, 7:04 pm

It is now in beta - a high-ranked player says it will be released on steam on 12/5/12. It feels polished enough for release and they have fully utilized the unity engine unlike so many developers that have not used it to it's fullest.

Post November 21st, 2012, 12:48 pm

Speaking of Unity, you guys should check out a company called 'Blurst' (now on hiatus). They (or maybe just the one guy who is left) made one of my favourite indie games ever, Raptor Safari. You can play it for free in a web browser, and I still think they offer a bundle pack of four of their games you can buy... anyway, check it out, it's a lot of fun.

Also, Super Spring Break Speedboat Hero SD is a really neat and entertaining browser game using Unity. It's a boat racing game where you can build your own tracks and then share them with other people via a URL.

Post November 28th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Stealth Bastard Deluxe, now on Steam!!!

Post November 29th, 2012, 12:34 am

i'll probably ultimately acquire the deluxe addition since I never donated any money to the developer for the f2p. I will wait for a sale though... has great (original) splinter cell nostalgia (although incredibly different in so many ways it shouldn't constantly remind me of it). I guess the light/dark and the avatar must evoke that nostalgia. Anyway, it is an absolutely fantastic game. I really hope the dev gets $$$ and makes more games.

also, I think the extra features and levels should help as a reward to get the deluxe stealth bastard.

Next

Return to Indie Games