Board index Gaming Indie Games Vigilantes: Turn Based RPG [Free Alpha]

Vigilantes: Turn Based RPG [Free Alpha]

Talk about all things indie gaming here

Moderators: reg_igs, ben_igs

Post October 17th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Free Windows Alpha Available Here

Hello!

Thanks for stopping by. My name's Daithi, I'm an indie developer from Ireland. If you can spare a moment, I'd like to show you the game I'm currently working on. It's an as yet untitled turn based, crime themed RPG. I've been working on it for around 11 months now, since releasing my first game, Deadstone. Here's an artwork which the artist has just finished, of a restaurant with a little more than food prep going on inside.

And here's an in game shot:

The gameplay comprises strategic planning, tactical battles, and lots more. Here's an early video of a tactical battle where you meet a potential ally, and engage a group of paramilitary survivalists. It's worth noting that it's pre-alpha footage, and a lot of the game's visual elements are placeholders.
Edit: Video doesn't appear to be working, but you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AOYSsnt5fA

phpBB [video]

And finally, here's another illustration, this time of the protagonist about to get himself into some trouble.

If you have any questions, comments or observations, please let me know. I'd be happy to talk to you. Also, if you'd like to stop by my facebook page to say hello, and for occasional updates, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/Timeslipsoftworks
Last edited by Timeslip on March 31st, 2016, 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post October 17th, 2015, 9:39 pm
GnomeSlice User avatar

Hey Daithi, great to see you posting here (I loved Deadstone by the way!).

Really cool theme, I'm not sure I've seen a crime-themed thurn based RPG before. Best of luck with the project!

Post October 18th, 2015, 7:28 pm

Hey GnomeSlice. Thank you for the welcome! Yes, a lot of the turn based RPGs seem to centre around sci fi (alien, cyberpunk, post apocalyptic) or fantasy settings, so I'm hoping to do something interesting in a modern day crime setting. Will keep you posted on developments with, well development : )

Post October 19th, 2015, 5:52 pm

Inspired by Jagged Alliance? ;)
Undecima Wants You!- a new online browser multiplayer strategy game

Post October 20th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Hey MKerogazov. If I told you I didn't spend a good part of my youth playing Jagged Alliance, X-Com, Fallout, I'd also have to tell you that you shouldn't believe everything I say : ) Of the three, it is most similar to Jagged Alliance though, as you observed.

Post October 20th, 2015, 5:33 pm

But X-Com was my favourite :) - You know, there are criminals among aliens as well :D

Post October 22nd, 2015, 7:03 pm

Yeah, I liked them all, would struggle to pick a favourite, though I think X-Com was the first. It's kinda the same when comparing books I enjoy, usually end up thinking that the one I read last was the best. Have given up on the idea of a favourite book/game/film at this stage : )

Post October 24th, 2015, 8:02 am

This brief development video shows how firing from full cover works, strafing out, firing, strafing in. Added this for two main reasons: to avoid firing projectiles through solid cover, and to give the game a more cinematic feel. So, without further ado, here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSu7R17RBK8

Post November 7th, 2015, 10:02 am

Someone's looking for trouble in the wrong side of town in this most recent illustration for Vigilantes. This one will be used as a base for the main menu. Comments, criticism and questions are welcome!

Post November 14th, 2015, 9:52 am

Hello,

Hope you're having a good day!

Here's the new splash screen for Timeslip Softworks. Comments and criticism welcome! It's worth mentioning that there's no sound with the video for now, as the same track plays between the splash screen and main menu. I'll make a video of the whole thing soon!

This week, I've also been working on a day/night cycle for Vigilantes, which adjusts the lighting, sky, and reflections, based on the time of day. Once in place, this allows mission areas to be changed between day and night easily. I've attached a screenshot of one mission area during the day, and at night. It's worth nothing, that these are pre alpha screens, so the mission area isn't as polished as it's going to be and the UI elements are placeholders, which will be replaced by professionally created graphics this week.

Post November 16th, 2015, 4:33 am

I was going to say earlier but something distracted me :) I watched one of your videos and I think that your weapons should shoot a bit faster and have some recoil - that will make it looking more realistic ;)

Post November 17th, 2015, 8:46 am

Thanks for checking out the video, and for the suggestion. That makes sense. I've been experimenting with the bullet effects and muzzle flares, and have changed it over to creating trails, rather than a solid bullet for now. Will keep at it till I get it right : )

Post November 21st, 2015, 11:59 am

This video showcases how lighting and weather conditions affect the landscape, showing a transition from a sunny summer's day to a stormy, rain drenched night. Hope you enjoy. Comments and criticism welcome!

Post January 16th, 2016, 10:51 am

Here's the most recent development video for Vigilantes, bringing you from the splash, through the main menu, all the way to the end of the first mission. Comments, questions, and criticism welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7bzU0Mscvo

The alpha will be made available within the next 6 weeks. If you'd like to be the first to try out Vigilantes, feel free to visit https://www.facebook.com/Timeslipsoftworks for further updates.

Post January 30th, 2016, 10:51 am

With the alpha release looming over the coming weeks, efforts to flesh out the game mechanics and apply polish have redoubled. For the last few days, I've been working on explosives, in particular the effects for IEDs, incendiary and smoke grenades. Here's a screenshot showing the incendiary effect.

If you'd like to see this effect in action, along with the smoke grenades and IEDs, I've also made a video, which you can find here. As always, comments, questions and criticism are welcome!

Timeslip wrote:
Here's the most recent development video for Vigilantes, bringing you from the splash, through the main menu, all the way to the end of the first mission. Comments, questions, and criticism welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7bzU0Mscvo

The alpha will be made available within the next 6 weeks. If you'd like to be the first to try out Vigilantes, feel free to visit https://www.facebook.com/Timeslipsoftworks for further updates.

Very nice - all movements very fluid and natural - but (as you asked for critics :D ) will it be the same slow as in video as it's the only problem I saw. Especially since it's a turn-based, they can kick and jab much faster, which will look better and will make the game progress faster ;)

Post February 13th, 2016, 8:11 am

Thanks for checking out the video and for the suggestion, MKerogazov. I've improved bullet effects as per your last suggestion. As to increasing animation speed, I can see your point. It's something I'll have a look at later, as the animations took an absolute age to get the timing right between the various attacks, evades and impacts.

Here's another illustration, showing one of Reiker's City's Gang, The Church of the Final Exodus, in the middle of a bizarre cult ceremony:

As always, comments, questions, and criticism welcome. If you'd like to be notified when the alpha is available (it's free to try), feel free to follow Vigilantes on IndieDB or on Facebook

Post February 20th, 2016, 11:08 am

Character art and background info for Ray Case, a recruitable companion in Vigilantes. Comments and criticism welcome!

Name's Case. Ray Case. Licensed private investigator for the Greater Reiker Metropolitan area. If you're in the market for a Seamus, look no farther. Need a guy to shake a few trees, see if a monkey falls out? I'm in. Need someone to put the squeeze on a blackmailer for 25 dollars a day plus reasonable expenses? I'm your guy. Remember, the first sap I take to the back of the head is on the house.

If you'd like a heads up when the alpha is available (it's free to try), feel free to stop by on IndieDB or on Facebook

Post February 27th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Hello again.

Here's another illustration from Vigilantes, showing Elena Furey, a character who may join your struggle. I've included the character's intro also. Would be grateful for any feedback on either the illustration or the text. Thanks for reading!

Character Introduction

Cancer took him, then they took her. There's nothing left.

A year of days of rage and grief, a constant cycling between gym, firing range, dojo. A year ago a nearly hysterical woman crossed the threshold of the Reiker City Civic Gym for the first time in her life. The same, but a different person walked out those doors this evening.

Every thug in this city has a boss. One of those bosses gave the order, and he or she is out there right now, living out the violent, end of days, gun nut fantasy that is the survivalist approximation of a normal life. I'm going to keep stepping over corpses until I get a name, and when I do, I'm going to find them, and teach them the true nature of violence.

Find out more
If you'd like a heads up when the alpha is available (it's free to try), feel free to stop by on IndieDB or on Facebook

PlayerReview User avatar

Timeslip wrote:
Character Introduction

Cancer took him, then they took her. There's nothing left.

A year of days of rage and grief, a constant cycling between gym, firing range, dojo. A year ago a nearly hysterical woman crossed the threshold of the Reiker City Civic Gym for the first time in her life. The same, but a different person walked out those doors this evening.

Every thug in this city has a boss. One of those bosses gave the order, and he or she is out there right now, living out the violent, end of days, gun nut fantasy that is the survivalist approximation of a normal life. I'm going to keep stepping over corpses until I get a name, and when I do, I'm going to find them, and teach them the true nature of violence.

I'm enjoying the writing.

Next

Return to Indie Games