Board index Gaming Indie Games Free Indie Game of the Day!! (may not be every day)

Free Indie Game of the Day!! (may not be every day)

Talk about all things indie gaming here

Nice games :D i need to try them out!

123. Rock Dude

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Two Bros. Games
Platform: PC
Release: 2012

Rock Dude by Two Bros. Games, the same guys that made Climb to the top of the Castle, is a platformer about climbing rocks and trying to be speedy about it. I personally haven't played much of it, but I've heard some good things. If it's as polished as CtttotC was then it's probably pretty decent. Here's a fun fact, they originally called the game Rockman, but changed it to Rock Dude so people didn't get it confused with Mega Man.

ROCKDUDE is a 2D Platformer that lets you grab onto any surface as you rock climb across the game's diverse mountain environments in search of Creds, Discoveries, and new Gear which will give you new abilities, including Gliding, Swimming, and Explosives that enable you to explore hidden areas and take on the game's many Challenges (like getting to the Summit as fast as you can.)

So there you go. According to that description it has lots of hidden items and stuff that give you different abilities. There is no real plot though, you're just a guy, climbing mountains I think. And again, I'm pretty sure there's a timer and you kind of want to get through levels as quickly as possible. What bothers me most about this game, and it has nothing to do with the game itself, is like the last game I posted, it has to be downloaded from Indievania. Kind of a lousy website in my opinion, but not a huge deal I guess.

Download:
http://www.indievania.com/games/rockdude

I like this game! :mrgreen:

Soli wrote:
123. Rock Dude

Two Bros make great games. I just wish they'd use something other than Indievania to distribute them. x_x
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

124. Copy Kitty

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Entanma Project
Release: 2013

So Copy Kitty, I had nearly forgotten about this game. I actually tested a very early version of this game back in they day, I remember thinking it had potential. I got to test said alpha because before I started frequenting this forum I would frequent another and would occasionally bump into up and coming indie devs over there. Well just two actually, this guy and also the dev of Chester.

So yeah, Copy Kitty is a fast-paced action shooter. You play as Boki, who has this weird but seemingly useless ability to copy things. It isn't until your uncle gives you some military training game that you fully understand what your ability to copy is actually capable of. I'll just spoil it for you, you copy enemy attacks.

Boki has a special power like none other: being able to perfectly copy the abilities of anything she fights! But not content with mere mimicry, Boki can also mix and combine up to 3 abilities at once to form completely unique ones! She wants to be a hero one day, but doesn't think she's cut out for the job. To help hone her skills, Boki's insectoid uncle sends her into a virtual reality to do battle with hordes of dastardly robots!

The dev is working on an extended version of the game and currently has a Greenlight page. So go ahead and play this version of the game, and if you like it, give it an upvote. I should warn you the game is very flashy and bright, could cause seizures and stuff.

Download:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/copy-kitty

I'd like to add a personal favorite in here as well...

Kobo Deluxe
http://www.olofson.net/kobodl/index.html

This is an enhancement over the classic Linux game xkobo, adding more graphics options, controller support, sound and so on. The game is clearly inspired by the old arcade game Bosconian. Fly your ship around destroying space fortresses while trying not to get shot.

Downloads for Windows, Mac, Linux and a other platforms here (as well as the source code):

http://www.olofson.net/kobodl/download.html

125. Trilby: The Art of Theft

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Release: 2007

So hey, Trilby, this is the game that was featured on the IGS Christmas charity event. This game takes place 5 years before the events in 5 Days a Stranger, the first in the Trilby Adventure game series. I kind of consider it a stand along game really, the gameplay is completely different, and it feels like a different game. In other words you don't have to play any other Trilby game to enjoy this one.

1991. Two years before the events of 5 Days A Stranger. The eccentric British cat burglar Trilby is at large in an American city, robbing the rich to give to himself. Distrustful of his fellow man and patiently skilled in every aspect of burglary, Trilby is on an ongoing quest to scare the ignorant rich by hitting them where it hurts - their wallets. But will his arrogance cause him to bite off more than he can chew?

In The Art Of Theft, the player controls Trilby in a 2D stealth adventure as he embarks upon a number of daring high-profile heists in various outposts of wealth and power across Chapow City. With an arsenal of thief skills at his disposal, he must lift the trinkets and valuables of the idle rich while making as little fuss as possible.

Took all of that from the website, honestly I couldn't have explained it any better and it makes my job easier. Very fun game, if you didn't get it from IGS you can find it in the link below.

Download:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content ... artoftheft

126. Javel-Ein

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Daniel Linssen

So Javel-Ein is a was a Ludum Dare #28 game. The theme was 'You only get one'. In this game you get one weapon, a javelin. This isn't like a lot of platformers where you can throw the javelin an infinite amount of times, you can throw the javelin once, then you must go retrieve it to use it again. Usually I won't do Ludum Dare games, while a lot of times they are fun, most generally they are really quick games, often times buggy and incompletely due to the time restraint the developers have to make them. However, this current version of Javel-Ein is a fleshed out version of the original Javel-Ein that was made for Ludum dare, lots of stuff was added.

So there is a story to Javel-Ein, something about finding a throne that gives you infinite power or something along those lines, I didn't read it all that carefully, it's right in the intro of the game though. It's mostly the gameplay that makes the game though, it's just a lot of fun to play. WASD move you about, and you use the mouse to point the javelin and just click to throw. Like I mentioned above you only have the one javelin, so once you throw it you must retrieve it. There are also gems scattered throughout the land to collect.

This game is pretty fantastic and is definitely worth a look. It has 61 levels divvied up into 12 chapters, secret gems to collect, and even some bosses to fight. It has a timer you can turn on or off in the upper right corner so you can try speed running the game if you like. Nice retro graphics and some great music as well.

Download:
http://managore.wordpress.com/javel-ein/

127. Juniper's Knot

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Dischan
Platform: PC, Mac, Linux
Release: 2012

So I'm personally not a big Virtual Novel fan, I think I've said this before. Seems to me a good chunk of VNs are all about girls with big boobs and you trying to make the right choices to get them to take their clothes off. Now if I wanted that kind of content I would probably go elsewhere, and it certainly wouldn't involve any kind of reading, but I digress. Juniper's Knot doesn't have any of that as far as I'm aware, which is a good thing, granted I still haven't tried it, but I might one day.

Juniper's Knot a pretty short game that is told from two different perspectives, a demon and a boy. That's pretty much the only description I got. The game took the developers roughly one month to make. The game got some praise back in the day, and the art does look really nice. I've also listened to some of the OST on the Youtube and you know what? Not all that bad for what it is.

So, if you're on the fence about VNs and maybe want to try one that is pretty short and doesn't have nudity then maybe give this one a whirl. The link is below.

Download:
http://junipersknot.dischan.org/

128. Night of the Cephalopods

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Spooky Squid
Release: 2008

Wow, I had nearly forgotten about this game until today. Night of the Cephalopods was one of Spooky Squids early freeware games, yup, the same Spooky Squid that made They Bleed Pixels. It's kind of an arcade shooter horror type game. You pretty much have to survive for a certain amount of time and very with limited bullets while being hunted by octopi. It also has a narrator of sorts that describes some of the actions you take as you do them on screen.

So the story is you're dropped in this forest, I forget how exactly, and you must survive for 6 in game hours I believe, until daylight, that's when the octopi run off. This is not an easy task however, you have very limited ammo. If you get lucky you may fine a few shells on the ground here and there, but you want to use them sparingly. I wouldn't call it a horror game so much, but it can get pretty tense. Also the narrator doesn't help. He will narrate when you are running low on ammo, or when you are attacked by an enemy. That's right, Night of the Cephalopods was doing this long before Bastion, heh.

It's a pretty fun game, tough as well. I had more fun trying to see just how many different things the narrator said, that right there gives the game a ton of replayability, that and it really isn't that long of a game, you can do a couple runs in one sitting if you like. Good stuff though, don't now why I forgot about this games existence or even what made me think of it today, but I'm glad I did, you can find the game below.

Download:
http://www.spookysquid.com/

129. Bosses Forever 2.BRO

phpBB [video]

Platform: PC/Mac/Ouya (Browser, DRM-free. Steam Greenlight (will be free there as well))
Release: 2014
Developer: TOO DX (Austin Montville and Nathaniel Green

Game Description:
A game about slaying bosses. Bosses that adapt to your playstyle to provide an infinite challenge. This is a follow-up to Austin's previous game Bosses Forever, this time also including #2 BRO, a friend of the original Fro Bro. If you haven't played the original, PLAY THAT FIRST! I will link both. I really enjoyed the first game, and this one seems to be a great upgrade in graphics. Once again the music is by nicklePUNK. So check it out!

Bosses Forever (original): http://austonmontville.com/bosses-forever
Bosses Forever 2.Bro: http://www.bossesforever.com/
Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    The Floor Is Jelly
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

So hey, this silly topic has been here a year now. I'll probably post another game later today once I figure out which I want to post. It's been fun, here's hoping it lasts another year.

130: Bad Dream: Butcher

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: DesertFox

So I didn't even hear about the Bad Dream series until recently, I guess that isn't too crazy considering they only came out last year. This one, Butcher, was the first one of what is now four short point and click adventure games. The are horror games, and despite the simple graphics, they are in fact kind of creepy.

So as I mentioned I only just started these games, they are pretty fantastic though. The games are pretty short, but they are also just pieces to the whole. I'm not sure if all of the stories tie together or not, but you do want to play them all. I really only played a few minutes of the first game, just get a feel for it, I will more than likely finish it eventually though. I guess the first story is about a Butcher, who likes to chop of limbs, fingers I think? Creepy stuff.

The art in this game all looks like pen drawings on parchment paper, and it's all pretty simple. Like I mentioned above though, it still manages to be creepy. I think it's a combination of the parchment paper, the music and sound. Also just the stories themselves, that goes without saying. Other than that I don't know what to say about the game, it's a point and click. It's from a first person perspective, but it kind of goes scene to scene as appose to letting you look around, imagine a picture book turning pages, that's how it transitions. Still it's good, worth a shot if you're up for a horror point and click.

Download:
http://desertfox.itch.io/bad-dream-series

131. Uin

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Biggt
Release: 2010

Wow, Uin is 4 years old already? Seems pretty crazy to me. I remember playing this one awhile ago, it's a pretty crazy platform adventure horror game. Not really scary, but a very creepy atmosphere. Music is creepy as well. A very strange game that I enjoyed quite a bit.

You start the game off following your brother into a cupboard which just so happens to have a portal in it. The portal leads to some crazy dark land which your brother claims to work in, family business. Once there you're pretty much just trying to find your brother, that's the story.

The game is all in kind of a gray scale, and just has a very atmospheric look. The music adds to the creepiness as well, it's very well done. Although the game isn't all that scary, it's just so weird.

Uin plays like a platform game should. You can shoot, however you only get nine shots before you have to recharge, jumping is a tad floaty if I recall correctly, not a big deal though. There are a few puzzles in the game, and I recall one area which infuriated me, a couple different boss fights, mini games, and even a few secrets. Highly recommended by me, even though I don't have a whole lot to say about it.

Download:
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/123139

132. Purple

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Bowser
Release: 2007

So here's another oldie but goodie. It was first released in 07 with just one stage, it was completed in 09ish I believe. It was a very good first attempt by Bowser. It was a Super Mario World like platformer, you completed stages collected things and found secrets. I remember playing a little bit of this back in the day and enjoying it.

Purple is a Game Maker game, the graphics are very colorful and kind of do remind me of a Mario game. The music is pretty good as well. The dev warns that the game could be buggy, it being his first game, however I could never tell if he was referring to earlier versions of the game or his final release. Some of the complaints people had about the game was the difficultly and lack of save points. I never made it quite far enough in the game to form an opinion about these complaints myself. However the dev said he would take all criticisms into account for his next game, which I'm not sure will happen, it's been several years since Purple was released.

The game doesn't really have much of a story I don't think. You were captured by some evil cat? You of course escape and then go after said cat. I think that's it, not sure. Controls are just fine, arrow keys, Z and X I believe. Regardless, it's a fun little platformer, link below if you want to check it out.

Download:
http://kbg.awardspace.com/

133. Action Painting Pro

ImageImage

phpBB [video]

Platform: PC/Mac/Linux (DRM-free)
Developer: Ian MacLarty

Game Description:
Discover your inner Pollock with Action Painting Pro creative software for Windows, Macintosh and Linux home computers. Create great works of art from the comfort of your desk chair. With Action Painting Pro being creative is as simple as playing a video game. Basically it is a platformer where you are also making art.

"This game is part Mario, part Picasso, 100% awesome"
—Philippa Warr Wired UK

Link: http://ianmaclarty.com/action-painting-pro/
Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    The Floor Is Jelly
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

134. Super Adventure Pals

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Corupted
Platform: Browser

So Super Adventure Pals is a crazy good platformer. It's a little bit Super Meat Boy, with all the traps in the stages and the fact that you are timed and encouraged to complete the stages as quickly as possible for a better rank, the difference is there are actually enemies you need to attack, so you're nut just running and jumping. You can also level up in Super Adventure Pals, either your weapon or your life. Even the story is somewhat Meat Boy-ish.

The story is, Mr. B steals your pet rock, and you and your pet giraffe are on a mission to go get it back. The end. There are four different boss fights, three different towns, and a world map to explore. I mentions the level ups above.

It has a SMB meets Adventure Time kind of look to it, very nicely done graphics. The cut scenes look good as well. The music is also great, this is just one of those games, it probably should cost a couple bucks but it doesn't. In fact not only is it free, but you don't even have to download it, you play it right in your browser. The link is below, I suggest giving it a shot.

Play it here:
http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/su ... als/22257/

135. Hotline Trail

Platform: Browser
Developer: rezoner

Game Description:
Hotline Trail is a game about staying on the straight and narrow. It is "simple, rhythmic endless runner type game with a great soundtrack." Be warned that it is EXTREMELY frustrating to play. A helpful hint: Pay attention to the signals that appear onscreen and the accompanying narration, which tells you which patterns in the track are going to appear next.

Link: http://hotlinetrail.rezoner.net
Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    The Floor Is Jelly
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

136. Sanctuary RPG

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Black Shell Games

So I have yet to play much of Sanctuary RPG. I have it downloaded, and I know it works, but I never got past the title screen. I have watched a number of gameplay videos of it though and it looks like a lot of fun. It's a text base RPG adventure.

It looks like a pretty hardcore old school RPG. It looks difficult, depending on the difficultly you choose I imagine. It's a lot of reading obviously, and decision making. I'm not sure what the story is about or if it's any good, I would hope so though, beings it is a text based RPG.

I really can't say a whole lot about the graphics, it being text based, and the music is just fine. The game is getting a bit of acclaim though and I've been meaning to check it out. It is still in beta, 0.9.8 or something along those lines. I'm not sure if the final release means the game goes full commercial or not. As of right now, the are taking donations for it, but you can choose to go straight to the download page and download for free. I say if you do happen to have a spare couple bucks, go a head and help the devs out, they put a lot of work into this game.

Download:
http://www.sanctuaryrpg.com/

PreviousNext

Return to Indie Games