Board index IndieGameStand Featured Game Deals Inescapable [Jan 15th-18th]

Inescapable [Jan 15th-18th]

Official threads for IndieGameStand's 4-day game deals

Post January 15th, 2014, 10:35 am

Inescapable is a Sci-Fi action adventure in which players unravel the mystery uncovered by a remote interplanetary mining operation. What did they find? What threat does it pose? And ultimately, what does it truly mean to be a hero?

Named "Best PC Metroidvania You Didn't Play of 2013" by Matthew Zulawski of the Metroidvanias Tumblr, and featured as one of the other notable games in Indiegames.com's Top 10 Indie Horror Games of 2013!

* Side scrolling action combined with adventure style puzzles.
* A large world to explore with an intriguing story and an unusual, thought-provoking ending.
* Hand drawn pixel art for a classic 16-bit era graphical style.
* Features optional CRT screen simulation effect for a more authentic look on modern LCD monitors.
* Available DRM-free for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post January 15th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Very cool game. :ugeek:
Remember to vote for it on Greenlight. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=180427325

Post January 15th, 2014, 2:24 pm

I'd sincerely advice against buying this. It's very fun at first, but the ending ("oh by the way this is just a video game, here, have an irrelevant quote") is a slap in the face and looks more like the developer had no idea how to end this rather than a profound reflection on anything.

Plus most of the platforming is very frustrating, like an old, bad NES game.

Post January 15th, 2014, 3:34 pm

First, before you purchase, this game intended to simulate not just old-style games, but to actually be EXACT like old Amiga games, so, expect : frustration hardness, bleak picture, palette swapping, rudimentary movement of enemies.
Its games for peoples who really want to feel how it was in OLD games, not "modern game with classic flavor". Please DONT try itif you not sure about it.

Second, about linux port - damn its great! Works out of the box for me, with no special work.
Third, IGS, but...this game just was not long ago on Groupees, right?

Post January 15th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Toyotame wrote:
this game just was not long ago on Groupees, right?

Yes, it was on Groupees Spotlight. It still is doing very well on IGS though. :D

Post January 15th, 2014, 6:27 pm

Toyotame wrote:
so, expect : frustration hardness, bleak picture, palette swapping, rudimentary movement of enemies.

In other words, all the good stuff in games like grandma used to make. :)

I had the game from another site, it's fun if you have a hankerin' for an old school side scrolling explore and shoot game.

Post January 16th, 2014, 2:25 am

I'm having a problem with the Linux version:

I am using a PS2 dual shock 2 controller via a PS2-to-USB adapter. I would like to use the D-pad to control up/down/left/right movement, which jstest reports being mapped to axes 4 and 5. Unfortunately, the game only seems to pay attention to axes 0-3.

This is not an issue on Windows because it maps the D-pad to a POV hat input.

Post January 16th, 2014, 6:58 am

HunterZ wrote:

I am using a PS2 dual shock 2 controller via a PS2-to-USB adapter. I would like to use the D-pad to control up/down/left/right movement, which jstest reports being mapped to axes 4 and 5. Unfortunately, the game only seems to pay attention to axes 0-3.

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble. The game actually supports 10 axes, so I'm not sure what the problem might be. While I look into it, you might like to try a program that translates controller inputs to key presses like QJoyPad or Antimicro for instance (I haven't tried either but they seemed the most promising after a quick google search). It's not a perfect solution but it should let you play the game with your controller at least.

Hope that helps!

Post January 16th, 2014, 3:49 pm

MagneticRealms wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble. The game actually supports 10 axes, so I'm not sure what the problem might be. While I look into it, you might like to try a program that translates controller inputs to key presses like QJoyPad or Antimicro for instance (I haven't tried either but they seemed the most promising after a quick google search). It's not a perfect solution but it should let you play the game with your controller at least.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I figured there was probably that style of workaround available on Linux (since such tools also exist on Windows) but figured I'd report the issue first in case it could be fixed in the game itself.

Post January 17th, 2014, 12:40 am

Update: So I remembered that turning off analog mode on the PS2 controller maps the D-pad to axis 0-1. I am able to use this as a workaround.

The weird thing is that if I map move up/down/left/right to something else and then turn off analog, the mapper still doesn't recognize me pressing the d-pad, so I have to turn on analog to map movement to axis 0-1 and then turn analog back off to make it use the D-pad.

My guess is that the mapper detection code doesn't like the fact that pressing the D-pad directions makes the axis positions jump directly from 0 to +/- 32767. This would explain why I'm having issues regardless of whether the D-pad is reporting on axis 0-1 versus 4-5.

Edit: I'm also experiencing some very static-y sound in Kubuntu 13.10 Linux, almost like it's having continuous buffer underruns.

I also noticed that it's possible to get stuck against a doorway if you try to go back too quickly after entering a room (or after loading an auto save).

So far the game reminds me as much of Flashback as it does of Metroid. I guess that makes sense considering it is supposed to be Amiga-inspired.

Post January 22nd, 2014, 10:33 pm

Just saying I found the game through IGS and have enjoyed playing. I've had one period of frustration due to a missed item it took me forever to locate (the bird ring) and am currently trying to figure out exactly which flames to light in the long, vertical wind shaft. 'Tis a bit annoying to navigate to determine the proper combination (given there are something like 5 elements), but I suppose I'll figure it out eventually. Hope it isn't just me missing a switch somewhere. :P

Post January 23rd, 2014, 12:33 pm

I also had trouble mapping a controller (axes just wouldn't register), so I resorted to using Joy2Key. Joy2Key works perfectly, as it does with just about anything. Keep in mind that if you are using the d-pad on most controllers, you will need to check an option to enable the POV switches (d-pad) on your controller.

As far as the game goes, I haven't played too much so far, but this is a good experience. I would sum up the game like this: Metroid - gameplay variation + story
If the gameplay of Metroid was what really excited you, you may feel like Inescapable is a bit easier and less intricate. However, if you are more motivated by story elements, Inescapable has more atmosphere than a Metroid game. These two aspects are part of a scale, I think, since the more you have to focus on intricate gamplay, the less attention you pay to the story.

I have enjoyed playing Inescapable and will probably play to its conclusion.

Post January 23rd, 2014, 5:17 pm

Yeah, it captures that Star Guard vibe of progressively revealed story telling. I dig it. :)

That said, if anyone knows which flames to light in the giant wind turbine tunnel, I'd appreciate a tip.

Return to Featured Game Deals