Board index Gaming Indie Games Free Indie Game of the Day!! (may not be every day)

Free Indie Game of the Day!! (may not be every day)

Talk about all things indie gaming here

106. Zaga-33

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Michael Brough
Platform: PC, Mac (commercial version on iOS)
Release: 2012

Zaga-33, made by Michael Brough, the same guy that made Vertex Dispenser, was originally a 7 day rougelike game made for the 7 day rougelike contest I imagine. It was so well received that it was expanded upon quite a bit. There's even an iOS version, that isn't free, but it's only .99 cents.

In it you are stranded on an Alien Planet, Zaga-33. Enemies on this planet are tough, real tough. It's best to avoid them altogether if possible. However there are some alien devices you may find lying around to help you defend yourself when needed, teleports, drones, spells, all that good stuff. These items are kind of sparse, so you want to hold on to them until they are absolutely needed.

The graphics are very retro. You play as an '@', however the enemies actually look like enemies, green blob things they are. Same goes for the items. The gameplay is what you would expect from a rougelike, the enemies move when you move if I recall correctly, and you use the numbers to use items. The music is pretty good as well. Very fun, punishing rougelike.

Download:
http://www.smestorp.com/

107. Monolith

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Vector.co.jp (couldn't find the actually dev name)
Platform: PC
Release: 2010

So Monolith is a Japanese platformer, I was kind of hoping one day they would come out with an English patch for this one, but I guess it never happened. There really isn't much text anyways, but really that's all the more reason to translate it, it really wouldn't be all that much work. The only part I saw with just Japanese text was the intro, and you can almost figure out what's going on by just watching.

So this game is incredibly cool, but really difficult. It's a platformer, only you're inside these cube like worlds I guess, and when you get a key you can spin these cubes to progress. I'm sure there's a better way I could explain this, just watch the video above you will see. My best guess to the story, you're chasing after your evil doppelganger for whatever reason, maybe he stole your favorite pair of socks. For whatever reason, you travel through 4 different worlds to find him.

This game is insanely tough though, I've never made it past the first world. Of course I haven't played it in awhile either. The graphics and the gameplay are spot on though, and the way you make the cubes spin around, crazy awesome. The music in the game is really good too. My biggest gripe about the game was that there was no checkpoints, and I don't think it saved either. It's one of those games that, I think, once you memorize the stages, they really aren't all that long. It just feels long because the first time through, a lot of sections are kind of a pain. So hey, if you're up for a challenging, really great looking platformer, look no further.

Download:
http://www.pixelprospector.com/monolith/

108. DataJack

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Rickshaw
Release: 2013

I've been meaning to try this one, and I will, probably today even. Desura hasn't been cooperating with me, so I have to download from the developers site I guess. I've also been side tracked the last few days with other things. This game looks great though, I saw it pop up on Desura a few days back and I've even had people message me about it.

Just from watching the trailer, it looks like one of them really old school X-Com games, but from what I've been reading, it's trying to be similar to Deus Ex, I guess setting and mission wise. Below is a brief description taken from the website:

DataJack is an upcoming 2D cyberpunk stealth action / RPG game which has been under development for four years. Set in the year 2030, following the collapse of nation states, the world of DataJack is run by megacorporations who recognize no rule of law beyond sheer military force. The game follows the career of a corporate mercenary who hires out his abilities as assassin, hacker and gunslinger to the highest bidder.

It looks incredible for a free game, however it also looks pretty in depth, I'm just afraid I'm going to get crazy confused with everything. Certainly worth taking a look at though.

Download:
http://epicbanana.com/

Or find it on Desura:
http://www.desura.com/games/datajack
Last edited by Soli on November 25th, 2013, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recently released but it's really good.

Blade Rush

Plays like a mix of SMB and Mark of the Ninja. Really fast paced and you can build some badass combos
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

109. Null Divide +

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: MTMB Studios
Platform: PC, Mac, Linux

So here's a top down shooter with some metroidvania type elements in there, you need to find different power ups to get to different areas. I'm not a huge fan of shooter games, though this top down shooter looks different then your typical shmup type game, so I might have to give it a go sometime.

Null Divide+ is a top down shooter presented with a retro look and authentic NES music. Your ship is out of fuel, and your only hope for getting home is to salvage a nearby abandoned space station. You’ll explore the station, do battle with the machines lurking within and find upgrades for your ship to aid you in your mission.

It also features some crazy boss fights, and large areas to explore. It has an NES look and feel to it, the music is very retro as well. It also features controller support as well as keyboard and mouse, options are always nice. Other than that, I don't know much about the game. If you're into top down shooter games, you might wanna give this one a look.

Download:
http://mtmbstudios.wordpress.com/

Or find it on Desura:
http://www.desura.com/games/null-divide

110. Moirai

Screen:

Developer: C. Johnson

Moirai, a very short game, but so neat what it does. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what it does without spoiling the game, so you're just gonna have to play it. That is in fact the reason I couldn't post any gameplay above either, just a screenshot. It was originally going to be for the 7days FPS thingy, but it didn't get done in time, they did however continue to make the game and finish it. Really glad they did.

The townsfolk tell you that a woman named Julia has gone missing. You venture out into the cave just beyond the village looking for her. You’re given a knife to protect yourself. What you find there may surprise you.

The graphics are fine, there's even some decent music. Be sure to poke all the sheep for some silly sound effects. The game is short, as I mentioned above, so I really don't know what else to say about it. I will say, I think all of you should give it a whirl, it's only a ten meg download, and will only take 10 minutes of your time. I think once you finish it, you'll be glad you tried it.

Download:
http://cjohnson.id.au/

Regarding Moirai...

I just played/finished the game. Wow...awesome.

Everyone should give it a try. :)

111. Abobo's Big Adventure

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Team Bobo
Platform: PC, Mac, Flash

"The Ultimate Tribute to the NES" according to Game Informer Magazine. The game is pretty amazing if you liked the NES days. It's constantly changing it's gameplay style to match different games that were on the NES. There's the obvious Double Dragon level, you'll also play a Mario type level, Mega Man, Zelda, all the great classics. So like I said above, if you liked all these old NES games, which I'm sure many of you did, then there's no reason not to give this game a go.

The story is short and sweet, you play as Abobo, and your son Aboboy has been kidnapped. You got to go rescue him. To do so you'll have to play through several different gameplay types, lots of bosses, all that good stuff.

The graphics are as they should be, as is the music. This game is all around a great homage to NES games. It's quirky as well with a good sense of humor. There's also controller support I see, which I was unaware of. I played the game awhile ago, not sure if I ever finished, but I don't remember playing with a controller, maybe it's always been supported though. You should probably give this game a go if you haven't already, it's not too long, just perfect at 1 to 2 hours to complete probably.

Download:
http://abobosbigadventure.com/index2.php
(There's a flash version of the game on the site as well.)

112. Katawa Shoujo

Opening:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Four Leaf Studios
Release: 2011

So Katawa Shoujo, it's one of them Visual Novels. Some people argue that they aren't real games, and I can understand why they would think that I guess. However my argument is that there are choices to make, it's not like you're just sitting there reading a book. So I dunno, it's really not my genre, I did however manage to finish a single playthrough of Katawa Shoujo, if that says anything about it. It was okay for what it was.

Katawa Shoujo is a bishoujo-style visual novel set in the fictional Yamaku High School for disabled children, located somewhere in modern Japan. Hisao Nakai, a normal boy living a normal life, has his life turned upside down when a congenital heart defect forces him to move to a new school after a long hospitalization. Despite his difficulties, Hisao is able to find friends—and perhaps love, if he plays his cards right. There are five main paths corresponding to the 5 main female characters, each path following the storyline pertaining to that character.

So there you go, the story taken right off the main site, I'm getting lazy. So there are five different paths, one for each girl you can get with, aww yeah. There is a little nudity in the game, however if that's the only reason you're playing the game you will be pretty disappointed. It's all hours into the game and it's all kind of meh. However if you're playing it for the story and the relationships or whatever, then you will probably like this one, heck if you're into VNs then you've probably already played it. I sort of enjoyed it, not enough to play it more than once though, never been a huge VN fan.

Download:
http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/

113. 2x0ng

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: dto

So I don't know a whole lot about this game, but it looks like a lot of fun. It's kind of a combination of puzzle and rogue-like. You have to hit colored blocks with your projectile to get the color, then hit the corresponding colored gate with the correct colored ball to unlock it and proceed to the next floor. I'm sure I made that sound way more confusing than it actually is. Regardless, looks pretty cool.

2x0ng is a procedural puzzle-combat roguelike game rendered in an 8-bit retro style. Pronounce it "TOO-zong". You control a little pixel-person running through a procedurally-generated maze; with your bouncing, color-changing Squareball, you can match colors to unlock new areas, and destroy an onslaught of enemies as you make your way to the exit. The rest of the rules are for you to discover in-game.

So that's kind of like what I said, or meant. As described the graphics are pixely, retro, and lets not forget colorful. The music is very fitting, very retro as well. The game looks like a lot of fun, I just hope the fact that I'm colorblind doesn't ruin it for me, hah. Download links below.

(So I was just informed by the developer that there is in fact a colorblind mode, for those that are worried about that!)

Download:
http://blocky.io/2x0ng.html

Or find it on Desura here:
http://www.desura.com/games/2x0ng

114. Rocky Memphis and the temple of Ophuxoff

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Trevor Storey and Stuart Collier
Platform: PC, Mac
Release: 2010

Rocky Memphis is a huge platform game. In the game you explore a temple with over 600 rooms. The goal of the game is simply to go in, get as much treasure as possible, and get out. One of my bigger complaints about the game is actually the title. Curse words spelt differently to try to disguise them, just seems dumb to me. Other than that, the game itself is fun. Lots of challenging rooms to get though.

Rocky has stumbled upon the greatest tomb of the ancient world. Guide him through 600 treasure filled rooms collecting everything then return to your vehicle and become the greatest adventurer ever, even better than indy jones!. upload your times/progress to the scores page and see who is top dog.

I like that you can also see you top scores online and compare to others, leader boards always add a lot of replay. The graphics and music are kind of NES-ish, which is fine, I like that. Rocky does move a little slow in the game if I recall correctly, but you can pick up speed ups, so it's forgivable. Fun game though, despite the silly title, give it a whirl if you like treasure collecting type games.

Download:
http://rocky.ovine.net/index.php

115. Famaze

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Oryx Design Lab
Platform: Browser

So Famaze was released roughly a month ago, and somehow it slipped by me. It's a really neat rouge like, maze, puzzle type game. Played it a bit tonight and got hooked real quick. Takes a few minutes to figure out just how to move in the game, so I'll just tell you right now, look at the map, not the character on screen. You want to use the map to move and attack, once you figure that out, you're good to go really. That and the 'M' key opens up a bigger map for your viewing pleasure.

The story is nothing short of silly. A mad king has turned all of the rutabagas into crazy violent monsters and is searching for the recipe for rutabaga pudding. You must delve into the kings domain, and save the rutabagas. Told you it was silly. Doesn't matter though, game is still good fun. There's alternate paths you can take, lots of gold to find, all sorts of good stuff.

The graphics are fine for a game like this. A lot of the time you're just gonna find yourself staring at the map more than anything anyways. And the map works well, color-coded things, red enemies, yellow items, white is for exits, or rutabagas to be saved. Also I wanted to mention the music, it was done by Diasterpiece, pretty well known for all his good musics, you can purchase the soundtrack here. Definitely a game worth checking out, and it can be played in your browser, so there you have it.

Play it here:
http://oryxdesignlab.com/famaze/

Happy Holidays everyone. Sorry about the lack of updates.

116. Murder at Masquerade Manor

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Skysthelimit

A murder! You have been invited to a ball for Mr. White, when you arrive you hear a scream, Mr. White was killed. Everyone that attended the party is now a suspect. You must first find the murder weapon and then question everyone to get clues as to who the killer is. But, be very careful, there is a killer on the loose, and if you turn your back to the wrong person, you are as good as dead.

A very cool game, reminds me a lot of Clue. The game is completely randomly generated, the killer, murder weapon, and the room in which the murder occurred is always changing. Which leads to some very awkward voice work. Because the voices have to be able to say different things each playthrough, the speech sounds very put together, but if you can get past that, the game itself is very fun. You pretty much just ask everyone at the party the same set of questions and try to narrow down who the killer is without getting killed yourself. There's also a bit of a horror game aspect as well, after you question some of the characters, some will start to follow you around, and like I said above, if you turn your back to the wrong person, you're dead, so you have to be very careful.

The graphics aren't bad, it's easy to get lost in the manor though, I wished they would label each room as you enter it, like above the doors so you can kind of remember what room is what, it would make it a lot easier, that's my biggest complaint. I already mentioned the voices sounding put together, but considering the game is randomly generated every time I can understand why it's done the way it is. I've been having fun with the game though, only played through a few times, haven't caught the killer yet though, I keep dying. Give it a go yourself, link below.

Download:
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/mur ... nor/19336/

117. Corrypt

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Micheal Brough
Platform: PC, Mac, iOS (commercial)

So here's another smart and fun game by Brog. Corrypt is kind of a combination of puzzles with dungeon crawling I guess? It's more of a puzzle game in my opinion. You are sent on different little missions, like collecting mushrooms, and in order to do that you must go room to room solving these crazy puzzles to get said mushrooms, or whatever the task may be.

Like I mentioned above, it's a really clever game. Very satisfying when you finally solve some of the puzzles in the game. It can be beaten pretty quickly, but only after you played through the game once. Once you learn all the puzzles and have them down pat, you can beat the game in under 10 minutes, your first time through though, could be up to an hour? It all really depends on your puzzle solving skills.

It's graphics are sound are both nice, some might say the graphics are bad, those people are silly. The graphics look very similar to the rest of Brogs games, I kind of like them, kind of retro. I should mention that this game won Indiegames.com best puzzle game of 2012. That's saying quite a bit, not only that but the game is free. So give it a whirl, link below.

Download:
http://www.smestorp.com/

118. Heroine's Quest

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Crystal Shard

So I've only just started playing this game and I am already insanely impressed. It's an Adventure/RPG hybrid game. It's got elements from both point and click games, with RPG level up and a very neat combat system. The game is 4, well almost 5 years in the making I imagine, they started making the game in 2009 from what I read. It definitely shows, one of those games that really shouldn't be free, the quality and work that went into it is just astounding.

As I mentioned I didn't get far, really I just got past the tutorial where I learned to fight and talked to some locals in the village I woke up in. After selecting your class, the game starts with a scene of you walking though a mountainous, wintery landscape, being stalked by a two headed troll. The troll causes an avalanche to collapse on you, of course the troll assumes you are dead and leaves you there. He reports your death to his master. You of course are not dead, you are saved by some villagers. This is where your journey begins.

The game is beautiful, nice pixely old school point and click graphics. Very colorful. Both the point and click and the combat gameplay is great, granted the combat might take a little getting use to, but it's fun as heck in my opinion. the game also has full voice acting, which really surprised me. If I had just one complaint, it's that the game has to be played in a window as far as I know, unless I missed something. I didn't see an options menu at the start of the game, maybe there's a way to change it in game? No matter, not really a big deal, the screen you play in is big enough.

The game claims to have different routes you can take, depending on which character class you select. So there's quite a bit of replayability there. Also it has different difficulties, so if your kind of casual, you can play it on easy and decrease the encounter rate. Or go crazy and play it on hard. Very good looking game and I'm looking forward to playing more of it, download link below.

Download:
http://crystalshard.net/hq.htm

119. A Game with a Kitty

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Origami Hero
Release: 2005

So I thought we might go back and do another older indie, A Game with a Kitty, or AGwaK for short. AGwaK is a pretty short, yet fun and challenging little platform about a kitty! A pretty dumb kitty that gets talked into exploring a tower. It really doesn't take all that much convincing though, Kitty isn't too bright.

So as already mentioned, you play as a kitty called Kittey, and you are convinced by the village elder and the other kitty townsfolk to explore this mysterious tower that recently arose from nowhere. Without hesitation you agree to this task, hey it could be fun! Kittey is kind of dumb and you can tell most of the townsfolk are annoyed by him, which is why they have no problem sending you on this dangerous task.

As with a lot of older indies, it has a few issues on today's computers, nothing major though. If I recall correctly you can't play fullscreen and you can't rebind the keys, the developer admits to never figuring out how to do that. The game was made in two weeks, so it's relatively short, a few hours. It get's pretty challenging towards the end though. It's a colorful game and the music is pretty good as well. Overall it's a pretty fun platformer, I enjoyed it.

Download:
http://www.origamihero.com/ori6/

120. Ib

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Kouri
Platform: PC, Mac

So I haven't played Ib, but there was a time when just about every lper was playing this game, so I've seen enough youtubes to know what the games about. It's an RPG horror game made in RPG Maker 2000 I believe. The game takes place in an art museum and seems pretty creepy.

You play as Ib and you go to this art museum with your parents, lights go out and suddenly everything goes dark, and creepy as hell. You have people banging on the other side of mirrors, fruit falling from out of paintings, and you get messages on walls. Let's not forget all of the traps set up in the museum to kill you, and the hands that reach out of the walls to get you.

The graphics are pretty typical for an RPG Maker game, not the greatest but not terrible. The character portraits look nice though. It's more about the story and the scares anyway, both which are pretty good. The music is also pretty creepy. This game does what it does pretty well, it's pretty creepy and has it's jump scares. Check it out below.

Download:
http://www.vgperson.com/games/ib.htm

121. Mari0

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Stabyourself
Platform: PC, Linux, OSX

So I was a bit hesitant to post Mari0 on here, mostly because it's a clone of the first Mario Bros. game. From beginning to end the game is just Mario Bros. The only difference being, they threw in portal guns and you can play local co-op up to four players. I think that's a big enough difference to justify a post here.

So everything is as you would think it is story wise, still just trying to save the princess I believe. The graphics and music are from the original as well, so I really don't have too much to say about those.

The great thing about the game is the portal gun and screwing with your friends multiplayer. I've watched a lot of Youtubes on this game and it seems like it can be a ton of fun if you can get a couple friends around to play. Setting up portal traps into spikes or pits. All sorts of crazy things you can do with that silly portal gun. So this is probably the shortest write up yet, I just don't have much to say about it, except it's a ton of fun. Give it a shot, link below.

Download:
http://stabyourself.net/

Yeah, Mari0 is great.
I played that a lot.

sad thing is that even with portal gun i can not beat world 8.
steam acc: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074769015/
desura acc: http://www.desura.com/members/lurtzcz
cat in my avatar is called Wendy. (and it is male, "Wendy" sounds gender-neutral in Czech)

122. Mysterious Castle

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Jeremy Jurksztowicz
Platform: PC, Mac,

So I've been hesitant to post this game, only because I keep thinking there's an update for the game coming, and sometimes, if I know there's an update coming for a game, I'll hold off posting it until after the update. On Jeremy's website (mysteriouscastle.com) he has updated the iOS version to 1.12, whereas the PC version is still 1.09. I was really hoping that he'd get around to updating the PC version as well, but he never did and his last blog post was in September of last year. Regardless, even 1.09 is very good.

Roguelike-like redefined! This graphical adventure game pits a party of characters against a procedurally generated world made up of treacherous forests, caves and, of course, mysterious castles! Turn based combat based on (but not limited by) the award winning and ubiquitous SRD 3.5 standard provides endless tactical possibilities, as you go up against parties of Orcs, Undead, Dark Elves, Demons and more! Collect amazing items to wield in battle, study old tomes to increase your skills, and gather mushrooms to brew into powerful spells. An incredibly minimal interface devoid of the clutter so common to roguelikes lets you perform both simple and complex actions with ease. Lighthearted coffee-break combat or meticulous powergaming, the choice is yours.

I stole that description from the Indievania website cause I felt it did a much better job at describing the game than I ever could. I have played a bit of this, then I stopped, mostly because I thought there was an update coming. It is good fun, and hopefully one day, the PC version will get updated. Would be nice, but don't get your hopes up. Unfortunately, the only place to download the full version of the game is Indievania, so I'll link that below.

Download:
http://www.indievania.com/games/mysterious-castle

(unfortunately, Indievania is the only place you can download the full version of the game)

PreviousNext

Return to Indie Games