Board index Gaming Gaming General Tower Defense games are boring?

Tower Defense games are boring?

Want to talk about games that aren't indie? Do we have the forum for you!

Post January 12th, 2013, 7:42 pm

So I've been playing "alot" of Tower Defense games lately. Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, Dungeon Defenders, Defense Grid and I've also played some time ago Atom Zombie Smasher (not really a TD) and Revenge of the Titans. But, I really like these games when I start playing them but after a couple of missions I found them to start getting me bored. Is it ok for me to assume this isn't a genre for me?

Post January 12th, 2013, 8:37 pm

I would say that it is probably not the genre for you... I would still recommend going back in time using a time machine and playing TD mods for Warcraft III. Also, some F2P flash versions like Desktop TD. It is best when there isn't a predetermined path for the mobs imo, like in Desktop TD. If you really want to make a leap, you might try Dota 2 which is still technically TD but totally stripped to the bone with all the upgrades and tower placement removed. This all started from the RTS genre and people like me that just built tons of towers around our base so we couldn't be destroyed.

Post January 12th, 2013, 9:55 pm
dliebner Site Admin

I love tower defense games. Defense Grid is one of my favorites, it's a great modern execution of tower defense. Dota is a bit of a different genre, but I'm also a big fan of League of Legends. That being said, if you don't like Defense Grid, you probably don't like tower defense. But perhaps a new take on the genre would be appealing to you. Keep your eyes peeled on IGS for just that :)

Post January 12th, 2013, 10:02 pm

I heard FieldRunners is a good TD game but I never gave it a chance. I forgot to mention Plants VS Zombies, it's a different type of tower defense but still, I enjoyed the hell out of it. From what I played from Defense Grid I've liked it so far, I also like the way they put the story into the game via the narration system. But, I also enjoyed the roaming around the map of Dungeon Defenders. Revenge of the Titans looks stellar to me but it's WAY too hard imho.

Post January 12th, 2013, 10:57 pm

I generally love TD games, but havn't had much experience outside of Defense Grid or the WCIII/SC2 custom games.

The WCIII ones really got me on it but havnt really played anything that kept me as interested. Maybe it was the fact that the TDs were designed as multiplayer? Either as co-op or VS.

not sure, but I'm always looking for a new one to try.
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post January 13th, 2013, 5:40 am

The only TD which didn`t make me bored after counltless hours ingame is McDroid. Which is not a real TD actually....
I also liked Defence Grid very much but yeah- got bored ;)

Post January 13th, 2013, 8:15 am

Has anyone tried Tower Wars?

Post January 13th, 2013, 9:50 am

Tower Wars looks interesting however i like single player experience which is not avaible yet (afaik).

Post June 22nd, 2013, 8:17 pm

Zorder wrote:
I heard FieldRunners is a good TD game but I never gave it a chance.

Field Runners is actually really good in my opinion. Got it as a free app of the day on my phone, and ended up buying it on steam for my computer. Then again, I like tower defense games that pretty much give you an open area and lets you have at it. They do change things up a bit of course by adding some obstacles to move around, but they never really FORCE you to build towers in a certain way, which is something I really like in a TD game.

That being said... I love tower defense games. Love em, and always have. I've had plenty I've played for hours on end (see above). But it's like every other genre where there are some games are good, some are bad, some just aren't your style... or you just don't like the genre. I don't think TD games are boring, but I know my boyfriend does. I think racing games are boring... but other people love them. It all boils down to preference.

Post June 22nd, 2013, 10:22 pm

Zorder wrote:
Has anyone tried Tower Wars?

Tower Wars has two modes. There's the normal mode where you have to split your resources. On one hand you have to build and upgrade the towers defending the paths to your castle. On the other hand you have to build and improve the units you send to attack the enemy castle. Meanwhile the enemy is doing the same thing.

You can play against the computer, it's not just multiplayer.

There's also "classic" mode where you play pure defense only while the computer sends waves of enemies at you that get stronger, faster, etc. There are 3 maps for this and it keeps track of how long you stay alive as your high score.

I personally didn't like the first mode, where I had to attack and defend at the same time. But that might be the thing that would keep some other player from getting bored. If you can get a copy cheap (I think it was bundled before) you might give it a try.

I did enjoy the classic mode, and played it while waiting for the Steam trading cards to drop. You eventually reach a point where there's no more room on the map for towers, there's no more upgrades you can buy for your castle, and you're just waiting for the enemy waves to get strong enough to smash your defenses. There's also only 3 maps. There are multiple paths and some enemies will leave the path and find alternate routes if you let them, but still... only 3 maps. I wouldn't buy the game just for classic mode as other TD games give you so much more of this style of game play for your buck.

Post June 23rd, 2013, 7:22 am

I've already bought Tower Wars and played abit of it, I may get into multiplayer after getting used to the all the upgrades and doing the mazes and getting familiar with the game.

Post December 24th, 2013, 8:06 pm

I also enjoy tower defense games but not PURE tower defense. I like when they mix other things in with it.

I'll go ahead and plug a game my studio is working on that is applicable to this discussion.

Tower of Elements 2

Tower of Elements 2 is a real time strategy and puzzle game with deep city building and match-3/tower defense combat. From your capital city you lead your Kingdom against the invading Void Army.

Your strategy, tower defense, and match-3 skills will determine the fate of your armies, but the many political decisions you make as a leader affect the story and the culture of your kingdom.

As your capital city improves, you will have access to more powerful spells, mightier elite troops, and better battlefield gear and armaments.
Michael Hartman
Frogdice
Our Worlds, Your Imagination
http://www.frogdice.com

Return to Gaming General