Board index Community General Discussion Child's Play Child's Play Child's Play

Child's Play Child's Play Child's Play

Talk about anything!

Post December 19th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Why is Child's Play the only charity involved in this 12 Days of Christmas thing? I wish we could choose other maybe more worthy charities. "I'm bored" is very much a first world problem when people in many countries can't get any medical care at all. How about Doctors Without Borders if you want a real medical charity?

The (admittedly small) dilemma I'm faced with is that I'd love to be able to download these free games conveniently from IGS but I'd much rather the money went somewhere other than Child's Play. I can donate my money wherever I want, but only giving it to Child's Play will let me add these games to my account. =/

Post December 19th, 2013, 7:41 pm

SirPrimalform wrote:
Why is Child's Play the only charity involved in this 12 Days of Christmas thing?

According to what's in the bottom of the Christmas deal (https://indiegamestand.com/christmas.php) :

IGS website wrote:
We selected Child's Play because it is a widely known charity and a popular selection on our site. When we contacted all of the game developers, we told them that the proceeds would go to Child's Play. Some of us here at IndieGameStand also have a personal connection with Child's Play and the work they do in our area at AI duPont Children's Hospital and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Sometimes I also would prefer if one or other developer chose a different charity, but as I see it, this was the charity that IGS staff picked. But we can also lobby for a poll or something to choose more interventive charities next year! :roll:

Post December 19th, 2013, 7:56 pm

steam acc: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074769015/
desura acc: http://www.desura.com/members/lurtzcz
cat in my avatar is called Wendy. (and it is male, "Wendy" sounds gender-neutral in Czech)

Post December 20th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Agree totally with TopicStarter. I not against things like EFF, Amnesty, WWF, Pure Water and other "real" charities, but when i see "help bored children to get more games to play" i usually set charity share to zero or just disable it. Maybe its sounds like a jerk, but Childs Play is WORST choice that can be ever made. I wish i could select something else.

Post December 20th, 2013, 4:52 pm

https://indiegamestand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1556

I'm sorry if I'm kicking chins here, but there's worse suggestions made
which charities are 'preferred/suggested partners' for IGS in there than
Child's Play to me.
I'm sorry, but if e.g. you feel you think American (Read: 1st/2nd world though)
children need better reading skills, you don't need a charity, you need a
political rally for actual schooling and better parenting, not a (small-time) fundraiser..

A poll 'pick your top 5 international (or 3rd world nation) charity' by users would be
something that would create a positive buzz among current and not-yet-but-browsing
users both.
Follow that with say '3-most-voted-for charities' combined w the 'developer's
choice' and you have a winner IMO.

I know some stores will argue it's too much work to split between charities / it costs too
much. They're missing the part where it's charity I guess though and toss it on the pile
of 'people we owe money to'. Charities do not normally charge for donations, are happy w
every penny and will help you get more pennies themselves.

(Slight edit: the poll topic gives me a 404 when I try to vote/do anything.)

Post December 21st, 2013, 9:59 am

I was half expecting to get attacked for 'hating children' something. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that Child's Play (while being nice and all) is massively over exposed, particularly in game bundles (because of the gaming connection I guess).
I guess it feels particularly stupid here that the 100% charity drive is going to a charity that only operates in first world countries (mainly just the US, I don't even live in the US) and doesn't even save lives there.

Post December 21st, 2013, 7:20 pm

I just went to take a look at the http://www.childsplaycharity.org/ site, looking at the other sponsers and the are quite a few geeky entries :geek:

Lurtz wrote:
https://indiegamestand.uservoice.com/forums/155133-general/suggestions/5025710-make-charity-selectable

pls upvote this then

Yay, thanks!

Post December 22nd, 2013, 9:01 am

SirPrimalform wrote:
I was half expecting to get attacked for 'hating children' something. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that Child's Play (while being nice and all) is massively over exposed, particularly in game bundles (because of the gaming connection I guess).
I guess it feels particularly stupid here that the 100% charity drive is going to a charity that only operates in first world countries (mainly just the US, I don't even live in the US) and doesn't even save lives there.

It's OK to hate some kids; the little demons that live across from me e.g :mrgreen: But yea, it's a very capitalist view on 'charity'. Can't have kids without Playstations..

nullzero wrote:
I just went to take a look at the http://www.childsplaycharity.org/ site, looking at the other sponsers and the are quite a few geeky entries :geek:

Child's Play was founded and run by Penny Arcade's team; it's basically all gaming-related from the onset. It's a must to be a massive (gaming) nerd there. Check out the team
in the videos on their site, there's a recruitment drive they had two (?) years or so back and Child's Play stuff there too.

Post December 23rd, 2013, 7:34 pm

Yeah. Playstation...You know, i once stumbled on one site here, in russian internet, about some charity for parentless kids, like collect money to filfull childs wishes, i was even able to read that they want and kinda select which one will get money donated. I looked in about 100 wishes, with childs fotos and stuff and guess that? about 90% of them was Playstation. Both girls and boys! Only few was about dolls (barbie actually) , several bicycles and skateboards.

Post December 24th, 2013, 3:44 am

Toyotame wrote:
Yeah. Playstation...You know, i once stumbled on one site here, in russian internet, about some charity for parentless kids, like collect money to filfull childs wishes, i was even able to read that they want and kinda select which one will get money donated. I looked in about 100 wishes, with childs fotos and stuff and guess that? about 90% of them was Playstation. Both girls and boys! Only few was about dolls (barbie actually) , several bicycles and skateboards.

I will have to agree with some of the opinions... somehow, malaria nets sound like better bang for your charity buck than a playstation. But, I suppose Child's Play isn't evil or anything [I hope].

Post December 24th, 2013, 11:27 am

So I guess my 2 cents on this is thus: If you don't like the charity currently being featured on a site, why don't you stop bitching and do something FOR the charity you prefer? You know, donate directly to them (most charity sites have SOME function to allow for direct donations), or maybe even organize your own event to bring attention and donations to your preferred charity (something like a game-binge stream, like so many other people do to raise money for charities, or even something along the lines of contacting indie devs to participate in your endeavor).

Seriously, complaining about a 12 day charity event based solely upon the fact that the charity is "over featured" is just useless. Go out and DO SOMETHING for your preferred charity instead of bitching through the anonymity of internet forums.
Know all of your enemies
We know who all of our enemies are
steam : twitch : desura
Way to plant, Ann!

Post December 27th, 2013, 1:23 pm

cst003 wrote:
So I guess my 2 cents on this is thus: If you don't like the charity currently being featured on a site, why don't you stop bitching and do something FOR the charity you prefer? You know, donate directly to them (most charity sites have SOME function to allow for direct donations), or maybe even organize your own event to bring attention and donations to your preferred charity (something like a game-binge stream, like so many other people do to raise money for charities, or even something along the lines of contacting indie devs to participate in your endeavor).

Seriously, complaining about a 12 day charity event based solely upon the fact that the charity is "over featured" is just useless. Go out and DO SOMETHING for your preferred charity instead of bitching through the anonymity of internet forums.

I actually covered this in the OP. The (admittedly small) dilemma that I'm faced with is that I would like to add these games to my IGS account, I just wish my money would go to a more worthy charity.

Return to General Discussion