Board index Community General Discussion Online Gaming and Dating

Online Gaming and Dating

Talk about anything!

Post November 10th, 2012, 9:11 am

Just saw this on GOG tweet feed, it might be a bit stupid but what you guys think?
http://images.onlineuniversity.net.s3.amazonaws.com/gamers-get-girls.gif

Post November 10th, 2012, 1:35 pm

That is an awesome article. I love the layout. Some of those stats to me are hard to believe, but they really put it in a good perspective.

In a survey of WoW players, 74.7% are dating someone else who plays the game? Maybe cause no one plays WoW anymore, or the demographic has changed, or the survey is just off. Regardless, I like the stat from whatever group they got it from.

42 Percent of woman gamers find themselves attracted to another player.

The Canj Theory: 100% of male gamers want a female gamer, 90% of female gamers are socially broken. (Info taken from 1 nerd's miserable journey through dating)

Great read though, gonna share this with plenty of nerds.

Conclusion, your're god damn right I'd rather battle demons and trolls on a date then grab boring coffee. :geek:

-Canj
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post November 10th, 2012, 5:35 pm

I saw that infographic a bit ago. WoW's as valid a place as anywhere else is where meeting other people is concerned. Of course you'll get pretty tight-knit with other players after months or years of interaction.

I've seen a lot of people mistake gaming as a reason to date instead of a way to become acquainted with others. In my eyes a shared hobby isn't much of a base for that brand of relationship, but I'm also not in the camp that makes gaming a lifestyle. Plus, the casual sexism and horrendous harassment that I receive from the small but significant group of more outspoken male players has not done much to endear me, hahaa. It's disheartening that I've developed a negative/apprehensive reaction to seeing new messages or friend requests.

Post November 10th, 2012, 6:30 pm

@ Eri

Well, there are certainly an increasing number of female gamers, especially in MMOs. It shouldn't be too much longer before you can abandon your apprehensions.

Post November 11th, 2012, 2:38 pm

"I've seen a lot of people mistake gaming as a reason to date instead of a way to become acquainted with others"

Wait, you mean, you've seen "a lot" of people considering gaming a reason to "date"?

I mean, I'm a clown, but ive never come across that. INteresting.

do tell.
Matt "Canj"

Post July 22nd, 2013, 6:29 am

I've seen a lot of people mistake gaming as a reason to date instead of a way to become acquainted with others. In my eyes a shared hobby isn't much of a base for that brand of relationship, but I'm also not in the camp that makes gaming a lifestyle. Plus, the casual sexism and horrendous harassment that I receive from the small but significant group of more outspoken male players has not done much to endear me, hahaa.

Post July 22nd, 2013, 7:54 am

canj wrote:
"I've seen a lot of people mistake gaming as a reason to date instead of a way to become acquainted with others"

Wait, you mean, you've seen "a lot" of people considering gaming a reason to "date"?

I mean, I'm a clown, but ive never come across that. INteresting.

do tell.

Haven't you ever heard of people discussing how they absolutely want a partner that also plays videogames? There's some (almost exclusively male) people that take that to the extreme and end up harassing other players of the opposite sex by seemingly getting obsessed with it. I've seen plenty of discussions in games that begin with something like "Omg, a gurl in the server?", and continue with a ton of somewhat intrusive questions.
Of course, having a common main interest is welcome, but it's not enough to base a meaningful relationship on.
Support Private Infiltrator on Steam Greenlight!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92924211.

I want all of your cameos.

Post December 9th, 2013, 9:06 am

I dont insist on my girlfriend being gamer, but she would need to respect my gaming hobby as valid hobby for adult men, and not something childish and shameful, what happens a lot of time (eg. "gamer = loser" attitude)

But in reality, most people who have positive attitude towards gaming are gamers themselves. Dating a gamer then makes a sure bet that the one wont be ridiculed and disrespected for his/her hobby.

if "gamer = loser" public opinion is strong and dominant, Games then seek cover in "shells" with other gamers as friends and partners, where they wont be seen as losers. if this attitude disappears, gamers will stop seeking gamer girls for dating naturally. In the end, it is just the old thing that everyone wants to feel respected and loved.

That is my opinion.
steam acc: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074769015/
desura acc: http://www.desura.com/members/lurtzcz
cat in my avatar is called Wendy. (and it is male, "Wendy" sounds gender-neutral in Czech)

Post December 10th, 2013, 1:11 am

Sort of a counter point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEH9p0zCk0s

tl;dwv she's basically saying if the only reason you're attracted to someone is because they're a girl gamer, that's pretty crappy.

I'd say find a girl who likes to do other things. Experiencing things you wouldn't normally do with someone you enjoy being with is what makes dating interesting. Play WoW with your nerd buddies. Take the girl to the zoo or beach or whatever instead.

Post December 10th, 2013, 9:03 am

Yea, I like what you're saying there. Glad this thread got some new life, it can be an awesome discussion.
Matt "Canj"

Post December 10th, 2013, 10:29 am

I pretty much agree on everything Lurtz said but like Alanah also said, if you're dating or looking to date someone just because that person likes video games that's kinda creepy, atleast the way I see it.

Post December 13th, 2013, 12:46 pm

oogla wrote:
Sort of a counter point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEH9p0zCk0s

tl;dwv she's basically saying if the only reason you're attracted to someone is because they're a girl gamer, that's pretty crappy.

I'd say find a girl who likes to do other things. Experiencing things you wouldn't normally do with someone you enjoy being with is what makes dating interesting. Play WoW with your nerd buddies. Take the girl to the zoo or beach or whatever instead.

That is not counterpoint.

I was talking about what is cause of such a behavior and she was more or less talking about what is consequence of such a behavior. Yes, she was assuming that gamers seek gamers for common hobby, and that is a contradiction, but she was not defending that though, see naturally assumed it is true, so she did not really made counterpoint to me.

again, I, personally, don't seek for gamer-girl as girlfriend, but i would want to keep this hobby secret, and i thing this is something most of us would not put out on first date.

But normally, that is what first date is about. finding out what other part is into. passion for something almost always attracting, but passion for gaming makes people feel exactly opposite. i am simply saying that gamers who do victimize gamer girls are victims them-self, victims of pressure of society. (but i am not justifying them)

:?: But I am really interested to what others see as cause of this. i really thing that it is exclusion from society by non-gamers, i would like to know what is the opinion of others...
steam acc: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074769015/
desura acc: http://www.desura.com/members/lurtzcz
cat in my avatar is called Wendy. (and it is male, "Wendy" sounds gender-neutral in Czech)

Return to General Discussion