Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions Not The Robots

Not The Robots

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Would you like to see this game featured on IGS?

Yes
33%
No
11%
Maybe
11%
Store and featured
33%
Store, not featured
11%

Total votes : 9

Post December 8th, 2013, 10:59 pm

phpBB [video]

Not The Robots
$9.99, PC, Mac, Linux (right now Steam only, but that could change later)
http://nottherobots.com/

A procedurally generated stealth game about learning to survive, making sense of your surroundings, and eating furniture.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post December 8th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Saw the screenshots, voted yes.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post December 9th, 2013, 7:50 am

'maybe' as shiny pictures aren't enough to sell it to me.

Post December 9th, 2013, 8:15 am

Duck wrote:

Did you watch the trailer?
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post December 9th, 2013, 8:28 am

Bronxsta wrote:
Duck wrote:

Did you watch the trailer?

Yup. Though the pictures were more promising to be fair than the vid.
This is a need to REALLY see and feel to fully judge.
Seeing the competition of new dungeon-crwaler/rogue-lites around
or below their intended price it's a tough sell for me for just a gimmick.

Post December 9th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Managed to get a pre-release build of Not The Robots, releasing on Steam this month. Here are my early impressions:

So NTR is essentially a stealth roguelike, where, rather than lurking through dungeon tunnels or planning turns, you're evading sentry bots, avoiding lasers, and myriad other hazards as you progress through procedurally generated floors. Your uni-wheeled robot can roll fast to quickly break line of sight of armed sentries or keep up with a moving laser grid, as well as crouch to hide behind obstacles and avoid other dangers. To complete a floor, your robot must devour a set amount of furniture per level to unlock the exit and there in lies the strategy. Removing furniture means less places to hide, less barriers to block lasers, and makes getting to the exit that much more challenging. You have limited health and your only course of action when seen is to run and hide.

Besides your natural hiding skills, you can collect a limited use ability, from going invisible (but motionless) to placing a block down which you can hide behind. You can only equip one ability at a time and they can be used once before having to recharge (by eating furniture) so they must be used tactically and at the most opportune moment. Multipliers, logs that gradually piece together the story behind the game, health packs can also be found throughout each level

Besides the procedurally generated campaign, there are also 20 challenge levels to test your skills, so there's something for the speed-run fan as well. In both the campaign and challenges, you earn more points for not being seen, for collecting multipliers, and speed among other factors.

Controls are smooth and responsive. WASD to move, mouse to move the camera, other keys to crouch, use your selected ability. Gameplay is a mix of fast paced planning and maneuvering and evasive sneaking around obstacles to avoid enemies: procedurally stealth with a dash of puzzle elements (as planning what furniture to remove or not remove will help your escape, especially since sentry patrols will change once you open new paths).

---
After playing a bit more:
- There are upgrades found throughout the levels, providing things from an extra inventory slot (so you can two abilities rather than just one) and a scanner to see what abilities are contained in a box

- Found some cool new abilities. Dig lets you remove a wall and Sprint give you a few seconds of boosted speed. Dig is especially cool because it lets you alter the layout of a level, opening up new paths for you to use

- You also get extra points for eating all furniture and taking no damage. Upon death, you rank up and can unlock permanent upgrades

Post December 9th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Hey guys! This game was made by a sound guy (David Carney) and myself. This thing is pretty weird, so let me know if you've got any questions about it and I'll see if I can clarify!

Post December 10th, 2013, 10:33 am

Looks crazy and awesome, count me in!

Post December 10th, 2013, 11:34 am

2DArray wrote:
Hey guys! This game was made by a sound guy (David Carney) and myself. This thing is pretty weird, so let me know if you've got any questions about it and I'll see if I can clarify!

Any chance of a preview demo or such soon(tm)?

Post December 10th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Not until they come out-of-Steam

Post December 12th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Post December 12th, 2013, 4:58 pm

The free demo is now live on Kongregate:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/2DArray ... -free-demo

Post December 12th, 2013, 7:44 pm

For some reason I've never been able to get Unity games to work on Kongregate. It always thinks I don't have unity webplayer installed. =[

Post March 11th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Hey, David Carney (the game's composer) has just released the soundtrack on bandcamp. 4 tracks for 4 bucks.

https://dvgmusic.bandcamp.com/album/not ... soundtrack

Return to Game Suggestions