Board index Gaming Indie Games The Daily Royale ^^

The Daily Royale ^^

Talk about all things indie gaming here

Post December 11th, 2013, 8:40 am

Indie Royale has a limited-offer daily now @ http://www.dailyroyale.com
(http://www.dailyroyale.com/faq for FAQ)

It's Strike Suit Zero now for 4.75 EUR | 4.99 USD
(4.99 USD = 3.62 EUR so using Desura conversion, not Indie Royale's).

1,000 Steam keys, game's not on Desura, no word on stand-alone versions so
doubtful.

Counter seems to be stuck for me on 71hrs, 26mins and 46secs so not quite daily :P

Side-note: Game has been cheaper couple times, so might want to sit this
one out till at least the holidays..

Post December 11th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Dammit, are they going nuts, all that sites?
Anyway, not really surprised, look like they just decided to move frontpage sale from desura to its own site.

About game, are you sure about "game not on Desura" ? I see Dailyroyale use same account system as Desura\IR
http://www.desura.com/games/strike-suit-zero - looks like they just released on Desura, with drm-free Linux version (yay), but its question if they will continue to sell it here. I guess it will be added to your collection too.
More info about game is better read here - http://www.gog.com/gamecard/strike_suit_zero

P.S. Hmm, i gettin this error - The Strike Suit Zero Deal is not available for purchase in your region.

P.S.S Ooook, looks like i bumped at region restriction on Desura. Second time ever. Checkout form simply wont allow me to even TRY to purchase this game.

Post December 12th, 2013, 2:55 am

Well, there's no Desura version being advertised there, just
platforms it runs on and Steam. Could of course be they use the
same 'logic' as Indie Royale, where only games not actually on
Steam are mentioned as 'Desura games'.
It's an 'invite-only' game on Desura though and those are typically
bundled games by IR.

The Steam database was updated around the same time the
daily went live and which got rid of the Metacritic scores, also
got two new, shorter entries for the game.
There's a region-lock on Korean and Russian versions which
both not seen any changed in months it seems.
As it's often the same across the board, and not just Steam,
it's likely that the game Desura offers is the same version.

(Isn't the game.exe for this series always DRM-free actually?)

Post December 12th, 2013, 2:59 am

Ok, I do see where some are getting some confusion here, and I know I am confused by it too. First the page referred to keys as Steam keys. Now it just calls it keys. Also, you see the platform icons, Windows, Apple, Linux, Steam. If it were available for desura (as a part of this offer at least) you would think it would be included with that list. So at least in the way the front page presents it, it appears that it would be Steam or nothing copy as nothing really indicates a competing platform like Desura.

Now this is something I find incredibly distressing if it truly is steam only. When deciding on this storefront thing, Did no one stop and say

"Hey, does anyone else see a conflict of interest launching a new storefront with a sale on a product that is redeemed on a different distribution platform when we have our own platform we could just as easily distribute it directly through and retain greater shares of the sales profit?"

Post December 12th, 2013, 6:09 am

IR have had steam-only before in their bundles, which I'm okay with.. we're going to have a thousand of these sites in a year and each will have a daily or weekly deal or a spotlight, whatever you want to call them. Sites are just monetizing the shit out of anything they can.

Post December 12th, 2013, 9:52 am

IR has plenty of Steam-launched titles. They don't do exclusives as such for Steam.
You get an 'invite-only' activation in Desura but you need to have Steam installed
because of semi-hard-coded Steam (dare I say) crap baked in.

I've not had any issues that I recall with running a Steam-only game from IR from
Desura without ever activating it as a Steam game.
See it as a Ubisoft game bought through Steam. You get one key (for Steam) but
effectively you play in Uplay and normally need to have that installed (although
Ubi is quite civil about DRM).

The statement 'you can play on >insert OS<' doesn't mean anything at all. It means
you could get the game running on it, not that it's a stand-alone installer pack.

I don't know anybody who'd pay this silly high amount for the game so won't be able
to verify if it gets the 'Steam-only / by-invite-only' Desura treatment though it is likely.

If you really want this game (and don't mind Steam), wait a bit. It's on sale for about 2USD
at every sale this year from both Amazon and Steam direct. Or better, get the bundle of
both games in the series.

Post December 12th, 2013, 12:46 pm

viroodiem wrote:
Also, you see the platform icons, Windows, Apple, Linux, Steam. If it were available for desura (as a part of this offer at least) you would think it would be included with that list. So at least in the way the front page presents it, it appears that it would be Steam or nothing copy as nothing really indicates a competing platform like Desura.

Yes, i seen that too, BUT
1) there is page for that game on Desura, which appeared just two days ago
2) This game is not Steam-locked, for example its sold on GOG
3) DailyRoyale uses same account system as IR and Desura. I dont why they shoul not provide executable.
4) Desura page for that game dont have "game requires Steam to run" notice
Duck wrote:
There's a region-lock on Korean and Russian versions which
both not seen any changed in months it seems.
As it's often the same across the board, and not just Steam,
it's likely that the game Desura offers is the same version.

Yeah, great, but on GOG we can purchase it without problem. Stupid.

Now, that i really dislike is..GODDAMN, ANOTHER DEALS?
Check out their FAQ, they intend to sell ONE GAME EVERY DAY once they gather enough popularity. And thats will be not PWYW, at least, not a 1$ deals. IGS, Groupees joined fun and now Desura itself? ZOMG. There was someone here who called it "bubble ready to explode" and i starting to feel like its really going to explode damn soon.

Post December 12th, 2013, 1:20 pm

Yes, i seen that too, BUT
1) there is page for that game on Desura, which appeared just two days ago
2) This game is not Steam-locked, for example its sold on GOG
3) DailyRoyale uses same account system as IR and Desura. I dont why they shoul not provide executable.
4) Desura page for that game dont have "game requires Steam to run" notice

1. This often happens for IR gmes too if 'Steam-only'
2. Yea, I expect the game itself is unlocked with not even a key-activation
3. Desura/IR don't provide stand-alone versions for all games, that depends on the dev/supplier
4. But it does have the standard 'by invite only' thing so it's not actually for sale @ Desura. They
want/need to make a game page for stuff they don't even sell (bloated much? :P)

Yeah, great, but on GOG we can purchase it without problem. Stupid.

Well. GoG is Polish, Steam, Linden and such are US-based, Desura/IR WAS at least UK/AUS-based.
Regional mumbo-jumbo by different publishers is often the main reason for artificial blocks like this
though so I don't expect it's any of their 'faults' as such, could be in this case the EU-based GoG
can supply the game from a (for us at least) better source..

Now, that i really dislike is..GODDAMN, ANOTHER DEALS?
Check out their FAQ, they intend to sell ONE GAME EVERY DAY once they gather enough popularity. And thats will be not PWYW, at least, not a 1$ deals. IGS, Groupees joined fun and now Desura itself? ZOMG. There was someone here who called it "bubble ready to explode" and i starting to feel like its really going to explode damn soon.

Well. Yes, but that's logical. But that's I think more Linden's 'input' than let's say 'Desura'. The 'deal' is horrid as I said; Steam and Amazon sold it for half this price couple times already. I'd almost suggest looking up the "which Steam games are DRM-free" list there should be. Sure, you'd buy from Steam but you'd not have to use it then as such..
(I'm always popping bubbles so that's likely been me :mrgreen: )

Post December 12th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Duck wrote:
1. This often happens for IR gmes too if 'Steam-only'
2. Yea, I expect the game itself is unlocked with not even a key-activation
3. Desura/IR don't provide stand-alone versions for all games, that depends on the dev/supplier
4. But it does have the standard 'by invite only' thing so it's not actually for sale @ Desura. They
want/need to make a game page for stuff they don't even sell (bloated much? :P)

1) Actually, not all, especially Steam only, games have title pages on Desura. Need to redig it.
2) Again i dont understand why not provide downloadable installers if they already did that on GOG? They even win at some point on Desura, because there is no Linux verson in GOG store.
3) Yes, even for games later released DRM-free elsewhere, lake Sam&Max, but thats usually is case for Steam locked games.
4) Not really. Very often games featured on IndieRoyale, even games already selling on Desura, but, mostly, newly released, have "invite only" sign while bundle is running. For example Diehard Dungeon. But once bundle finished they put price tag and purchase button. So, "invite only" while deal is not automatically means that games will not be sold normally after. On other side this DRM-free game http://www.desura.com/games/strong-bad not became purchasable after bundle.
For Steam only games its more difficult to predict.
Like http://www.desura.com/games/sam-max-the ... -playhouse - its now in WEIRD state with price tag but invite only. As it says "only invited persons can purchase this game". OMG

But back to question - "They
want/need to make a game page for stuff they don't even sell (bloated much? :P)" I think its made because game which want to go in IR have to make "kinda" release on Desura. Not all developers even understand that, like PID one, which was not even knowning his game is selling on Desura. I guess its made to add standalone files later, once they released. Like a billet to be used later.
OFC all that stuff makes Desura store total mess with game which not is not selling to anyone, games which contains only Steam key and so on.

Post December 13th, 2013, 8:07 am

If a dev has no intent of selling the game directly from the Desura within a reasonable frame
of time, no page is created. Even games launching in several month's time (ignoring alphas here)
have a proper page, with a proper price on Desura. The 'oh we have a page and we may or may not deicde
to launch on Desura in 6yrs is BS of course, I hope you get that ;)

I agree that in a wonderful world we would get access immediately when the game goes live, often that's
not the case. That goes for Humble-store as well. New games often delay their upload of the DRM-free/stand
alone version. I'm tossing that on an anti-piracy pile.
In general though I don't see the point of advertising and providing the stand-alone if you have it as a dev/publisher. Piracy? Don't be silly. Most DRM is cracked within days if not hours and the game is out there.

I'd settle for a key-activation DRM, be it a Desura/Steam/Dev code, it doesn't matter. If that's all of it, go for it.
Don't Starve on GoG e.g. uses it to update via their own launcher as do others. They want to know who plays
and that the user/code is valid? Go for it. Give me things like regular updates/patches in return to make it
worthy of having it.

Let's hope Desura gets some funding from Linden to go through their digital stock and make the site more
transparent. Preferably even filter better (read: at all).

Post December 16th, 2013, 3:16 pm

And Next DailyRpyale is Nascar 2013 for 12$ (WHOA!), Steam key included, Desura page established.

Post December 16th, 2013, 4:09 pm

The Desura page just confirms it's a Steam game again like the website does ;)

Note that the game is apparently so well liked that the publisher had the Metacritic
score removed from the Steam page (64 / 4.9) :P

Post December 16th, 2013, 10:36 pm

NASCAR GOTY ....DON'T FORGET TO TAKE A LEFT TURN :geek:

Post December 17th, 2013, 5:38 am

Nascar Racing by Papyrus waaaay back in the DOS days was one of the best racing games ever. The only one of the Nascar games I've tried from the Windows era was (I think) Nascar Thunder and it was terrible.

Anyone try Nascar 2013? From looking at the video on the site, it doesn't look like the damage modeling is very good. The video shows cars slamming into each other or the wall at high speed with little or no damage showing on the cars. Lack of attention to details like that doesn't make me hopeful that the rest is any good.

Although I guess it's a moot point. $12 is more than I'd be willing to spend on the game right now anyway.

Post December 17th, 2013, 10:04 am

The only racing games I enjoy fall into the Mario Kart-ish group :mrgreen:

From what I've read the AI is horrid and the game overall glitchy/bugged.
Ah well.. The publisher must be intent on resolving that as they pulled the scores :P

Post December 17th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Cannot say Nascar selling well, only 140 copies purchased so far. Probably both significant price and questionable quality tales action. No surprise.

ADD. Looks like Nascar was selling REALLY bad, so it was replaced prematurely with Cognition Season Pass, also redesign of page already, four boxes, 3 days, 1 week, ???.
Dont tell me that Linden already decided to reconfigure that brand new sale in another IndieRoyale ot that?

Post December 19th, 2013, 3:48 am

They're starting to run and possibly pre-announce games now
simultaneously; 11hrs to go on Nascar and Cognition pops up.

Another poor deal but it'll fool the people who only shop @
Steam I suppose..

Post December 19th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Hmm, nope, looks like it Gravity Badgers AND cognition at same time in two parallel deals. Hmm, i not sure about this game....

Post December 20th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Gravity Badgers isn't that awesome but the Steam cards basically make it free on
Desura, Steam and you get the DRM-free stand-alones for all 3 platforms ^^
It's also more adorable than Birdies in Space :mrgreen:

Post December 23rd, 2013, 7:22 pm

So, next 3 deals is...Gender Bender DNA , Vid Of Darkness and Always Remember Me (secret link - http://www.dailyroyale.com/bundle/?sort=datestart-asc )
First one is visual novell about...well, see that yourself, second one is space exploration and combat game (kinda like SPAZ) and last one is WinterWolves time management\visual novell game.

Next

Return to Indie Games