Board index Community General Discussion Desura is SOLD!

Desura is SOLD!

Talk about anything!

Post July 12th, 2013, 12:43 pm

As it stated in this article http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/ ... inden-Labs desura is sold to Linden Labs.
What should we expect from this? Major changes? Dropping Drm-free? Changing focus in game selection? Better games?
Any suggestions?

Post July 12th, 2013, 1:11 pm

According to the Techcrunch Article, Linden has stated that they plan to keep Desura unchanged in the short term, but mentions something else as well:
As we note here, it’s not clear how Desura will be utilized longer-term — whether it will remain as a standalone entity or merge with something else out of the Linden Lab. It notes that Blockworld, the iPad game it acquired earlier this year, will soon be released globally. Besides Second Life, Linden Lab also offers a “3D universe” called Patterns; the tablet and mobile game Creatorverse; an online creative space called dio; and interactive fiction “experience” called Versu, which “makes the reader a part of a living story.”

Hard to say if that is going to be a good thing or not, but there's a quote from Linden that also makes it sound like they're going to keep the current Desura team members on as employees:
Our aim is to invest and support the Desura team in making it the most open and developer-friendly platform in the world.

I guess we just hope for the best. I personally love Desura and hope it sticks around for a long time.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post July 12th, 2013, 2:04 pm

This doesn't surprise me. As I noticed after GDC, that ModDB, IndieDB, IndieRoyale seemed to have changed hands (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=670&p=3608&hilit=moddb#p3608) - it's not surprising that the guys behind those properties and Desura, finally sold off the last bits of their companies/web properties.

Post July 13th, 2013, 7:36 am

I am expecting Desura to turn into a virtual in-game Second Life marketplace.
Support Private Infiltrator on Steam Greenlight!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92924211.

I want all of your cameos.

Post July 13th, 2013, 8:04 pm

I think with the right money to back the software , the platform can really grow.

Maybe if they merge it with second life I can play games while managing my virtual dominatrix club in second life.
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post December 10th, 2013, 7:59 pm

So far Linden Labs only started to take actions and...
1) Freedom Friday established - collection of 4 free games every friday. Some of them is always was free, some is made free for limited period.
2) "just for one day" frontpage one games sales with moderate to significant discount. Like Towns 50% off, or Wrack 66% off or so on. Game picked is usually high quality and recognized. Improves game discover ability.
3) New feature : Indie Game Weekly Highlights on frontpage, youtube video with links to several handpicked games. (not sale, usually). Improves game discover ability.

So far its not super results, but i glad that Desura started to show signs of improving.

Post December 10th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Toyotame wrote:
So far Linden Labs only started to take actions and...
1) Freedom Friday established - collection of 4 free games every friday. Some of them is always was free, some is made free for limited period.
2) "just for one day" frontpage one games sales with moderate to significant discount. Like Towns 50% off, or Wrack 66% off or so on. Game picked is usually high quality and recognized. Improves game discover ability.
3) New feature : Indie Game Weekly Highlights on frontpage, youtube video with links to several handpicked games. (not sale, usually). Improves game discover ability.

So far its not super results, but i glad that Desura started to show signs of improving.

Sounds like a good direction to me :) Thanks for the update Toyotame!

Post December 11th, 2013, 8:13 am

The weekly Youtube update has been around for quite some time but yea, the blog/frontpage
thing is really new.
They've been upping the amount of, let's say, 'AAA-indie games' a lot like GoG has been doing as
well.
Work on the systems, site and client seems to have been stepped up in the background as well
judging from the increase in blog posts from that end. They are keeping the client open-source as
planned for all the good it'll do when the two main versions de-sync too much..

So far I've not really seen a negative to the take-over really :ugeek:

Post December 11th, 2013, 8:30 am

A little thing that I like is the way they replaced the old keys page with http://www.desura.com/collection

I believe that happened after the sale.

Post December 11th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Barefoot_Monkey wrote:
A little thing that I like is the way they replaced the old keys page with http://www.desura.com/collection

I believe that happened after the sale.

LOL. That was the very thing I've noticed that I really disliked. Personal taste, I suppose.

Most of my games don't have attached keys. Now, to backup keys from the ones that do, or just to notice that a dev has added a key for something (usually Steam), I have to click on every... single... key... link... for... every... game... in... my... collection. Before, I could tell at a glance. And for anything I bought in a bundle, or was gifted, it shows me the key I entered to add the game to Desura, which just confuses the issue when you're looking for useful keys (ie. activation/multiplayer/Steam). Barely anyone would need to know the used gift code for a game they own. -_-

I generally like the other changes though. I'm crossing my fingers that their efforts to improve the site don't cut back on it being the mostly DRM-free indie playground it currently is.

Post December 12th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Yes, they redesigned collection page too. And that not one of small changes, for example you can see "Embed Buttons" section now on game title pages. Ibelieve they wasnt existed before sale.
And Launch of Dailyroyale.com too (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1551), which probably came from frontpage one day one game sale i mentioned before.
I guess Linden decided to weaken entry requirements like need of Desura account for customers for that deal.

Anamnesis wrote:
And for anything I bought in a bundle, or was gifted, it shows me the key I entered to add the game to Desura, which just confuses the issue when you're looking for useful keys (ie. activation/multiplayer/Steam). Barely anyone would need to know the used gift code for a game they own. -_-

I believe such keys is shown for games which was redeemed by so called "limited" keys.
Let me clarify it, from how i understand by knowledge gathered from chats with developers and experience.
Desura internally have two types of game owning status. First is "full" which is usually comes from purchasing game directly on platform or (probably) in in-house bundles like IR and DR. Second, "limited" type is usually comes from gifts from developers or keys you got in various bundles like Flying Bundle or Groupees or so one.
Main difference in them is that "limited" keys is not eligible to receive additional keys added by developer on Desura, Steam keys mostly. For such keys you need to get you Steam keys elsewhere. from Dev directly, by Connect Desura feature, in your bundle page. Whats why in Keys Desura shows you only key you redeemed.
These two cases is standard situation, but there was special cases.
There was several games which Desura keys was, actually, "full" ones. Paranormal and Omegalodon, for example. By redeeming such key you eligible to receive additional Steam one too. Fun part is that to get your Steam key you NEED to redeem it on Desura not matter that. And, yeah, funny part two - you cannot redeem more then one same product key on Desura.
Another case - special type of key working both on Steam and Desura. Rare thing.
Ok, thanks for reading about thing probably everyone here knows.

BTW, one developer said me that any desura key can be revoked even after it was redeemed. And game will be removed from collection. But purchased games cannot be revoked.

Return to General Discussion