Board index IndieGameStand Featured Game Deals Papo and Yo [Nov 28th - Dec 1]

Papo and Yo [Nov 28th - Dec 1]

Official threads for IndieGameStand's 4-day game deals

Post November 29th, 2013, 9:58 am

Posts: 564
Location: Wilmo Delaware! Represent

phpBB [video]

Quico’s best friend, Monster, is a huge beast with razor-sharp teeth, but that doesn’t scare Quico away from playing with him. That said, Monster does have a very dangerous problem: an addiction to poisonous frogs. The minute he sees one hop by, he’ll scarf it down and fly into a violent, frog-induced rage where no one, including Quico, is safe. And yet, Quico loves his Monster and wants to save him. As Quico, players will build their friendship with Monster by solving puzzles together and adventuring through a magical, surrealist world. Players will need to learn to use Monster’s emotions, both good and bad, to their advantage if they want to complete their search for a cure and save their pal.

Key Features:

Real Relationships – Through a unique mix of gameplay and interactive narrative, players explore the complex relationships between Quico, Monster, Lula and Alejandra

A Magical World – a beautiful South American favela based in fantastical realism which highlights actual pieces by celebrity graffiti artists

A Captivating Original Soundtrack – a soulful sound design created entirely from scratch by Venezuelan-born composer Brian D’Oliveira and La Hacienda Creative

Environment-based Puzzle – explore and interact with a world full of whimsical surprises to progress in your journey
A Personal Story – inspired by Creative Director Vander Caballero’s tumultuous childhood

Post November 29th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Posts: 864
Got it and...found out its Steam-key only. Oh dammit. How can i be so careless?
Nice sales stats, btw.

Post November 29th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Posts: 32
"available exclusively through Steam".

For me, there might as well been no deal at all.

This is just my personal perspective but that message is enough to ensure I will not buy and exclusively steaming deals are the best way to drive taking business elsewhere and stop word of mouthing a service. I know its just my personal perspective but if the net has taught me anything that its you are never the only one.

Many people who buy from indie sources like IGS do so for no other reason than having anti- steam sentiments. Nothing wrong with an occasional instance such as this but there are already over saturated levels of steam resellers out there. If you are actually willing to still use Steam, why go through a middle man? Even then, how do you choose from the rest of the sites making a living off groveling for the crumbs that fall from Valves putrefied maw? While it seems lucrative, it is a road no one should be on for very long. Its like drugs. What starts out as a wild time does not take long to evolve into pushing valves drugs to kids just to keep up your own habit. Would really hate to see IGS succumb to so easily avoidable temptations because in the long run nothing good comes of it.

Post November 30th, 2013, 12:40 am

Posts: 847
Location: Utah
One of my favorite features so far. I'd already owned it and beat it.

A really great way to spend 4 hours of time. Great storytelling.

For anyone curious, if you beat the average, there are two Steam keys, one for the game and one for the soundtrack.

viroodiem wrote:
Valves putrefied maw

Love it. I can appreciate your perspective though, although I'm really glad this and Guns of Icarus (bound to be the #1 and #2 igs deal of all time) were featured and came to IGS.

Post November 30th, 2013, 2:49 am
dliebner Site Admin

Posts: 27
viroodiem wrote:
"available exclusively through Steam".

For me, there might as well been no deal at all.

This is just my personal perspective but that message is enough to ensure I will not buy and exclusively steaming deals are the best way to drive taking business elsewhere and stop word of mouthing a service. I know its just my personal perspective but if the net has taught me anything that its you are never the only one.

Many people who buy from indie sources like IGS do so for no other reason than having anti- steam sentiments. Nothing wrong with an occasional instance such as this but there are already over saturated levels of steam resellers out there. If you are actually willing to still use Steam, why go through a middle man? Even then, how do you choose from the rest of the sites making a living off groveling for the crumbs that fall from Valves putrefied maw? While it seems lucrative, it is a road no one should be on for very long. Its like drugs. What starts out as a wild time does not take long to evolve into pushing valves drugs to kids just to keep up your own habit. Would really hate to see IGS succumb to so easily avoidable temptations because in the long run nothing good comes of it.


Fair points. Just remember, a big part of what we do is to feature indie games, and this feature is about the game. In a sense, we're always a middle man, between the game developers and the people who purchase (support) and play (experience) those games. This is our second Steam-only feature in over 100 games (the first being Guns of Icarus), and again with this title, the only reason why no direct download is available is because the game simply does not have a stand-alone client. Should that ever change, you can expect it will probably make its way here, as do Steam keys when they are released for previously sold titles.

Post November 30th, 2013, 4:24 am

Posts: 11
Love the deal. Curious about the low average, i guess ost is not enough to draw out the key hoarders wallets.

Post November 30th, 2013, 6:19 am

Posts: 273
Don't discount the amount of people wanting to gift this maybe either.

It's around the 10USD mark normally but game OSTs aren't of interest to a lot
of people I know, so I'd gift the plain tier likely too.

The OST is great though, got it when I bought my copy a year or so ago and it's
an album that would perhaps not be recognized as an OST album at all unless told
it was by most I know..

Post November 30th, 2013, 10:55 am

Posts: 864
Totally support viroodiem. I purchased it, through. By mistake :( No game, no OST. Still not decided should i go for refund or not.

Post December 1st, 2013, 3:49 pm

Posts: 117
Mission Failed, Guns of Icarus stays the Champion! :mrgreen:

Post December 1st, 2013, 4:15 pm

Posts: 2
I have a problem, I have not received the key Steam after purchase... (and no mail)

Post December 1st, 2013, 5:20 pm

Posts: 1
I have the same problem :( can someone help?

Post December 1st, 2013, 5:36 pm

Posts: 117

Post December 3rd, 2013, 4:55 am

Posts: 49
Location: Long Island, New York, United States
Phaerless wrote:
Mission Failed, Guns of Icarus stays the Champion! :mrgreen:


It outsold it in terms of units by a significant margin though. If the BTA incentive had been better (many people don't care about OSTs) then I think you would be looking at a new #1.

Post December 3rd, 2013, 5:39 am

Posts: 49
Location: Long Island, New York, United States
viroodiem wrote:
"available exclusively through Steam".

For me, there might as well been no deal at all.

This is just my personal perspective but that message is enough to ensure I will not buy and exclusively steaming deals are the best way to drive taking business elsewhere and stop word of mouthing a service. I know its just my personal perspective but if the net has taught me anything that its you are never the only one.

Many people who buy from indie sources like IGS do so for no other reason than having anti- steam sentiments. Nothing wrong with an occasional instance such as this but there are already over saturated levels of steam resellers out there. If you are actually willing to still use Steam, why go through a middle man? Even then, how do you choose from the rest of the sites making a living off groveling for the crumbs that fall from Valves putrefied maw? While it seems lucrative, it is a road no one should be on for very long. Its like drugs. What starts out as a wild time does not take long to evolve into pushing valves drugs to kids just to keep up your own habit. Would really hate to see IGS succumb to so easily avoidable temptations because in the long run nothing good comes of it.


I'm not sure where your disapproval of Steam comes from, but personally I've never had any problem with it, and I'm as anti-DRM as anyone. I find it to be benign, unobtrusive, and actually adds numerous convenient features. While you seem to feel differently and are of course entitled to your own opinion, I hope you realize that when you look at the bigger picture you actually fall into a small minority.

Post December 3rd, 2013, 7:12 am

Posts: 864
You cannot be anti-DRM and use steam (and "never having any problem with it") at same time. Its just like calling yourself teetotaler while drinking beer or wine in same time just because you dont like drinking vodka or whiskey. Once you say "its ok since it not obtrusive (for now)" you exchanging bigger evil for...hmm...monopolistic evil. Ok, its big discussion, as always, so lets not open this can of forms right now.
But, as for last word - BEST sign showing crazy drm nature is steam is "steam key for OST". Regardless technical issues disallowing peoples to normally download at least non-executable, naturally unprotected mp3 files is just driving me nuts.

Post December 3rd, 2013, 2:33 pm

Posts: 273
Ohh another 'DRM fight' >grabs popcorn< :twisted:

(I'm on the 'prefers DRM-free but accepts DRM if necessary evil' side for the record but Toyo is right there..)

Post December 3rd, 2013, 8:09 pm

Posts: 49
Location: Long Island, New York, United States
When I say I am anti-DRM it's in the sense that it should not cause any problems for legitimate buyers or affect their ability to play a game without issues. If there is a layer of DRM there and it's benign and never causes a problem then what does it matter? Like I said, I have had zero problems with Steam over the years. ZERO. Your experiences may be different. Also, it's no coincidence that the top 3 sellers are all games that came with Steam keys when the deal went live (and the top 2 exclusively so).

Post December 4th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Posts: 273
You know what, I'm sitting this one out.

Just saying: Steam-only multi-player is more common than eg Origin-only, regardless whether you want Steam or not..

Post December 5th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Posts: 864
I know that many saying "so what, i had no problem with Steam" or ""its not gettin in the way, so why bother?" and i believe that you experience with Steam is great. I never tried it so i wont argue on that, BUT, i had experience with DRM-filled games (and software) before...and i had encountered "Sorry, customers, we shutting down our servers, so...get lost". No drmfreeing patches, no refunds, just "you had your fun, time to move on". Cannot say i was happy. So, let me just state it - i dont want to risk like that, even if Steam is solid right now. I dont saying that Steam, as is, is bad delivery system or bad store. But its have a significant problem, which makes it all go vain - DRM.

Post December 5th, 2013, 3:13 pm

Posts: 32
dliebner wrote:

Fair points. Just remember, a big part of what we do is to feature indie games, and this feature is about the game. In a sense, we're always a middle man, between the game developers and the people who purchase (support) and play (experience) those games. This is our second Steam-only feature in over 100 games (the first being Guns of Icarus), and again with this title, the only reason why no direct download is available is because the game simply does not have a stand-alone client. Should that ever change, you can expect it will probably make its way here, as do Steam keys when they are released for previously sold titles.


Thank you. I do appreciate and respect that IGS Has so far been good about making very few Steam only selections.. I even indirectly acknowledged that in the original post. That is why I am and remain a customer of IGS. IGS has been very good about changing things as new avenues open up. I apologize if my post seemed directed at IGS, when it was intended more as a response to seeing so many indie outlets pushing that direction. For example what has been seen clearly in the changes with Humble Bundle's network in the last 3 months alone with how often they tack on that disclaimer of

"Please Note: All of the games are only available via Steam "

to each new promotion they run.

I simply express, when it became a relevant point to express, to the IGS community that It would be very regrettable for that already struggling minority trying to resist Steams influence (or really any of the big boys like EA, MS, Sony, etc for that matter) and still be gamers to not have to watch yet another of their dwindling gaming sources fall under anti competitive, anti consumer influences.

So I was not trying to make it sound like IGS had done anything wrong. Quite the contrary. What I was trying to express is that IGS is far too important to the minority of people who take exception to steam. In that you and all of your staff have my and many others gratitude for being such a great alternative.


Shad0WeN wrote:
Snip to keypoints:
I've never had any problem with it,....
you actually fall into a small minority.


Now the last thing I want to do is start up some anti steam debate. There is no point to try to debate opinions. If you want the answer I will provide my personal reasoning, but I am simply stating my reasoning, not trying to invalidate the reasoning of others for their support of steam.

As I put forth in the first post, you are never the only one and between GOG, IGS, Humble, Indie royal/Desura, groupees, Shiny loot, and all the various indie platforms that survive and thrive off the strength of people who do in fact take exception to Steam for one reason or another, that minority, while still a minority is no where near as small as it might seem.

Others have hit on some of my issues with steam like the fact that even as benign as it might seem, it still is a form of DRM. As for other reasoning there are plenty to chose from. Making demands of its customers that it has no legal ground to make. The damage it is doing to digital distribution by trying to transform products into subscriptions. Holding your purchased content hostage to demand your compliance to their terms. Changing their rules on the fly and applying them retroactively to agreements long since completed. The fact that with their "license" philosophy every purchase one makes through them automatically has less value than physical or DRM free copies of products yet is priced the same or even higher. Their ridiculous pricing internationally. Their offensive pricing that keeps base prices higher than MSRP specifically so their "awesome sales" seem like a much greater value than they actually are. Steam is far less benign than the general gaming public thinks or even cares to consider and through their industry dominance they not only effect their own customers, but their choices, good or ill effect ALL game consumers and developers because what they do quickly becomes industry standards that every other outlet has to get in line with or struggle to resist.

That just names a prominent few. That is in no way dismissive of those who chose to utilize steam. To each their own. Again I have simply stated the reasons for my position on steam. I did not come to these conclusions lightly. I came to them through experience, observation, and research, so I will not debate the merits or validity of those positions. As I said I simply state them because you directly quoted me from a position of not understanding someone would say something in dissent of Steam when you feel they are benign. Not saying you are wrong, I am simply showing where and how I disagree nothing more and I leave it at that.

Next

Return to Featured Game Deals