Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions Fancy Skulls

Fancy Skulls

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Would You Support This Game For IGS?

Yes
56%
No
44%
Don't Know
No votes

Total votes : 18

Post August 26th, 2013, 3:10 pm

phpBB [video]

Game: Fancy Skulls
Platform: PC/Mac/Linux (DRM-free, Steam Greenlight)
Developer: tequibo

Game Description:
Fancy Skulls is a first person shooter with procedural generation and permadeath. When you die – you will have to start over, but level layout, enemy placement and items are random each time you play.

You shoot, run around, collect items, upgrade and mod weapons, and find secrets.
Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    The Floor Is Jelly
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

Post October 3rd, 2013, 5:31 pm

Saw this on NotOnSteam sale, but it was this or Tower of Guns and I was only getting one FPS roguelike...

Love the art style and it sounds really cool
There are many items for you to find, to help you and to make the experience different. Friendly sentry, polymorph spell, fireball, and more.
There are 7 weapons, all of which are different and can be modified with upgrades, most of which are non-linear. Shotgun that shoots lightning, SMG with burning bullets, Ray Gun that does more damage when you have odd number of coins on you, and more, with over 50 upgrades and mods in total.

Definitely would like to see this in the Store or featured
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post October 4th, 2013, 2:44 pm

I caved and bought it.
---
My impressions:
Between Paranautical Activity, Tower of Guns, and Fancy Skulls, it seems like the roguelike first person shooter is in vogue right now. While Paranautical Activity and Tower of Guns embrace over-the-top white-knuckle mayhem, Fancy Skulls stands out due to its abstract style and measured, more strategic gameplay.

The first aspect that stands out is the game's surreal visuals. Activate one of its randomized rooms and deformed multi-eyed...things emerge from their spawn points to attack: flying projectile-firing skulls, red-clawed melee chargers, bomb-spewing white stalks that aimlessly lurch around, spindly cyclopean turrets, and more. Every new enemy adds a new learning curve: what does it do, how doe it move, does it move or is it stationary, and most importantly, where is its weak point. Every enemy has a weak point somewhere on its body, some obvious, some more concealed or only visible at certain intervals; one or shots in this vulnerable area will kill an enemy and this element, combined with your limited ammo, totally alters the pacing compared to other FPS roguelikes. While in other games, you can fire wildly at enemies, here you'll survive longer by making your shots count and taking the time to aim carefully.

Further adding to Fancy Skull's strategic gameplay are the items and upgrades you can acquire. Like the enemies, you won't know what an item will do until you use it. From allowing you to hover and double jump to performing a fiery melee slam to slowing time, items are varied and completely change your strategy. Items require mana to use, so you can't spam these special abilities. Weapon upgrades can be bought from vendors found on each floor and imbue your guns with game changing abilities such as fire or explosive rounds to making ammo not count while airborne. The game's seven weapons range from your starting revolver to a shotgun and raygun to a rocket launcher and each feels different. (And yes you can rocket-jump.) You can only carry four guns at a time so choose wisely.

Fancy Skulls combines the FPS roguelike genre with mystery, strategy, and minimalist visuals.
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post October 21st, 2013, 1:02 pm

This was in the store... and now it's not.

What happened?
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post October 21st, 2013, 4:52 pm

Fancy Skulls is now availible in store again.
And today I have released an update, more info in this video.
Thanks!

Post November 23rd, 2013, 3:04 pm

Sadly, there seems there is no way of notifying players about updates on IGS yet, so I will just post it here for the time being.

Update 0.4 "Screenshake"

- screenshake effect added when firing some weapons, to explosions and when player gets hit
- added 6 enemy types
- added 2 items
- threasure chest will always contain weapon on a first floor, eye on a second
- shop in a exit rooms on first and second floors
- first floor is slightly easier than second
- reworked room layouts
- room walls on a same floor have slight brighness/saturation variations
- few more weapon mods
- spyglass item now will work as soon as it's picked up and will show enemy silhouettes instead of names
- mannie's mines are no longer explode from first revolver shot, but pushed away
- added keybinding for taking screenshots, which are stored in game's folder
- displaying slot number and max ammo by pressing tab for carried weapons
- optimizations
- balance
- bugs fixed
- some things tweaked

Post November 24th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Hey Tequibo,

For some reason, you do not have the Marketing tab in your developer portal....from there you can email anyone with the game.

We'll get right on this to get a fix!
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Return to Game Suggestions