Board index IndieGameStand Featured Game Deals Tower of Guns [Nov 16th-20th]

Tower of Guns [Nov 16th-20th]

Official threads for IndieGameStand's 4-day game deals

Post November 15th, 2013, 11:44 pm

phpBB [video]

Tower of Guns is a fast paced first-person-shooter for the twitch gamer... with a few roguelike-ish-y elements to keep it fresh with each playthrough. Think of it like FTL or Binding of Isaac mixed with Doom 2. The game is being made by a guy named Joe (his brother Mike is doing the music) and is currently available for EARLY-ACCESS.

We have a special and very informative post from the developer for this deal:
===================================
Hi Everyone! This is Joe, the developer of Tower of Guns. It's
pretty much just me making the game, although I contract my brother for
his awesome musical skills.

In addition to the "beat-the-average" bonuses for pre-ordering Tower of
Guns on IndieGameStand, I wanted to also offer something special to the
TOP CONTRIBUTORS.

Tower of Guns has mostly hand-drawn textures and UI art, and I
happened to be working on sketches for the eventual bestiary/badguy menu
screen, so I figured...why not give away some of that source art as a
bonus?

SO, if you are one of the TOP TEN contributors then I'll send you the
original one-of-a-kind hand drawn art of one of the Tower of Guns
bad guys. You'll have to provide a valid mailing name/address, of course,
and I can't promise that you'll get your preferred pick, but it seems like
a fun reward, unique to Tower of Guns, that I can offer up to you dapper
IndieGameStand loyalists.

Just think, you could have this hanging on your wall:

Or this ...thing:

Those silly bits of text are not part of the image, so don't worry. Also
the originals aren't tan like that. I just drew these on regular copy
paper. And they're only a few inches across. Also, I'm a terrible
salesman. This one is my favorite though:

The less said about this one, the better:

People who play ToG will know and loathe this guy:

This one is kinda wobbly looking. I think I will blame my cat on that.
Cats make terrible desks.

These guys are fun to fight:

Anyway, there are more drawings coming but I might not get the chance to
scan them before this sale goes live. If you like what you see, why not
send a friend this way? Or, even better, why not claim one of these TOP
spots for yourself and own a piece of Tower of Guns!

Thanks!
-Joe
===================================

Post November 16th, 2013, 12:12 am

You had me at FPS lunch-break game.

I WILL buy this, instead of spending money on the GOG Fall Insomnia Promo. Tomorrow... after I get some sleep.

Post November 16th, 2013, 12:53 am

Cats do make terrible desks!

This is going to be a great feature, this game has been getting some good press recently.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post November 16th, 2013, 1:03 am

Because the game is greenlit are Steam keys/full version to be included at release? thanks and I will try for top 10!!

Post November 16th, 2013, 8:22 am

As always no preview to soundtrack...how customer going to decide if he want it or no?

Post November 16th, 2013, 9:07 am

Brock Samson wrote:
Because the game is greenlit are Steam keys/full version to be included at release? thanks and I will try for top 10!!

Hi. I have the same question. :D

Post November 16th, 2013, 9:33 am

Hi folks! Dev here, happy to answer any questions.
As always no preview to soundtrack...how customer going to decide if he want it or no?

I DO have a preview song, ready to go--you just couldn't add links to the bonus rollover text! Here's one of the many songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZsAhSi5TVE

Of course--that is, so long as Valve allows for me to generate Steam keys en masse like they currently do. They've had that policy for a long time, so I don't know why they would change it now though. Also, it's going to take me a little while to get to Steam--I just got Greenlit a week or two ago and I've got a lot of work to do with the Steamworks integration still. :-)

Thanks so much guys!

Post November 16th, 2013, 3:20 pm

I am SOOOOOO happy with my purchase of Tower of Guns! This has the feel of Quake (minus the gore), the weapon leveling system of Cave Story, and the ridiculous-weapons approach of Unreal. Hop in, play for a bit, die. It's a wonderful cycle, and I'm tempted to purchase a few extra copies to give away. Such a delightfully well-executed concept!

P.S. To the dev with the poor posture: this would fit in perfectly with GOG's catalog. Just sayin'.

Post November 16th, 2013, 3:23 pm

dinre wrote:
P.S. To the dev with the poor posture: this would fit in perfectly with GOG's catalog. Just sayin'.

Yeah, i agree about GOG, Fall sale really attracted peoples to it. To hell, i even seen how usually steam-only folks was unable to beat desire to spend some money. And if developer dont plan to switch to Steam DRM then there is no reason to ignore GOG

Post November 16th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Does this game have controller support?
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post November 16th, 2013, 5:15 pm

GnomeSlice wrote:

Even if it's supported, you don't want to play a twitch shooter with a gamepad. The precision and speed required for aiming would be impossible. Heck, even modern non-twitch shooters turn on aim assist for gamepads.

Post November 16th, 2013, 6:42 pm

I'm tempted to purchase a few extra copies to give away

I certainly won't stop you :-)

this would fit in perfectly with GOG's catalog. Just sayin'.

I completely agree--GoG is/was all about the old school FPS games..so you'd think that ToG would be up their alley. I've applied Tower of Guns through their submission process, but they never got back to me. I can only assume that perhaps the game is either not for them or is still too early in development for them, or I just got otherwise lost in the slush pile. If you want to see it on GoG, then please add it to the wishlist subforum: http://www.gog.com/wishlist ! (and thanks! :-)

While I'm not sure if it'll be the *best* experience with a controller, Unreal actually has stock controller support that I capitalize on. Players have told me that they need to use the mouse in the main menu, but otherwise can do pretty much everything with the controller just fine. Just please keep in mind: I haven't tested this myself and it's not 'official support'... I don't know if more advanced stuff will work at all (rebinding buttons, mostly).

Post November 16th, 2013, 7:00 pm

After hours of download,when the download will be complete in few minuts, I got an internet disconnection and ... chrome delete all the file download ><

Edit : Finally success to download it ! Awesome game !
Last edited by matheod on November 16th, 2013, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post November 16th, 2013, 7:34 pm

blankslatejoe wrote:
If you want to see it on GoG, then please add it to the wishlist subforum: http://www.gog.com/wishlist ! (and thanks! :-)

Done. This little game is EXCELLENT! I look forward to future updates, but this is the kind of game I don't mind playing during development. I will still call BS on the "complete one level w/o taking damage" achievement. B. S. And I think you know it. =p

Post November 16th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Vote on the link above!!!

Post November 16th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Thanks guys!

dinre--yeah...there ARE some tricks you can do to make that way easier to unlock, but eventually that unlock will be *probably* replaced with "beat the game". Right now there's just no win condition so I haven't replaced it yet. I'd rather keep the weapon there, as hard as it is to unlock right now, rather than replace it with a "not available in this build". :-)

Post November 16th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Wow! :o It's already in the 18th position of the top deals list with 73 hours to go. Will it reach the top 10?

Post November 17th, 2013, 12:39 am

How does this compare to Paranautical Activity?

Post November 17th, 2013, 12:51 am

HunterZ wrote:
How does this compare to Paranautical Activity?

Paranautical Activity, in my opinion, is fashioned much more after bloody gore and humor of Doom/Quake II and takes the approach of creating a procedurally generated game of epic proportions.

Tower of Guns, again in my opinion, keeps the frenzy of old games like Quake but then takes its own path to the humor and aesthetics. It's also a much shorter experience by design.

Next

Return to Featured Game Deals