Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions Star-Twine

Star-Twine

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Would you like to see this game on IndieGameStand?

Yes, and featured!
70%
In the store, but not featured
10%
Undecided
10%
No, it's not on my platform
No votes
No, other reason
10%
Threads are dumb
No votes

Total votes : 10

Post November 13th, 2013, 12:43 am

Game: Star-Twine
Developer: Eric Billingsley
Platforms: PC
DRM & Distribution: DRM-Free, Desura
Demo: Yes!
Soundtrack: Dope

I remember being extremely interested in this game when I first heard about it (a year or two ago, I'm pretty sure), and I guess I forgot about it. I just saw it in my GamersGate wishlist though and now I want it again. I am in love with the screenshots. You'll also be hard-pressed to find anything less than a glowing review of the game anywhere.

If you can't see the video below in Chrome, click the shield beside the URL and click 'load unsafe scripts'

phpBB [video]

Star-Twine is a strategy game with ambient sounds, unique visuals and a virtually infinite number of levels to play on.

Battles unfold on three-dimensional maps where you, a small point of light, must build structures to extract energy from the threads that make up the world. Energy can be spent on new structures, each with their own unique abilities.

The enemy AI builds while you build and reacts to your play-style. This results in challenging battles that require strategic insight and quick thinking.

Features:
  • Unlimited number of procedurally generated levels
  • Fully 3D maps where attacks can come from any angle
  • Skirmish mode with multiple difficulties
  • Online 1 vs 1 multiplayer and LAN play
  • Ambient electronic soundtrack and abstract visuals which create an atmospheric, relaxing experience
  • Simple RTS gameplay that emphasizes positioning and timing rather than micro-management

Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post November 13th, 2013, 9:58 am

<Player> upvoted
<Player> i normally wouldn't be interested, but for pwyw i'd give it a try
<Player> very pretty

Post November 13th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Looks like a beautiful game, video and its site def has me interested.. Even if nothing else but for the random generation of levels (which are gorgeous) and adaptive AI, I'd love to see this on IGS in one form or the other.
Know all of your enemies
We know who all of our enemies are
steam : twitch : desura
Way to plant, Ann!

Post November 13th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Whoa, apparently this guy now works for the company that is developing WindForge!

And they're in Ottawa! :o

Post November 15th, 2013, 9:44 pm

I've been playing the demo for this... here's what I think of it.

I have never played anything quite like Star-Twine. This is one of the most unique and interesting games I have ever played.

This game is gorgeous. Each of the stages are a wonderfully random (and quite enormous) mass of 'threads' floating in the middle of space, which you are free to explore. It's a strangely beautiful and otherworldly experience. The game also features a really nice ambient electronic soundtrack from the developer himself. Check it out: https://ericbillingsley.bandcamp.com/al ... soundtrack

And once you get the hang of the mechanics, it's a lot of fun too. My first experience playing it was one of slack-jawed delight. Definitely an interesting game. Even though it's extremely under-the-radar, I really hope we can see it on IGS.

Post November 16th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Okay so I bought it. This game is excellent. And there really is infinite replayability in this!

Here's a taste of the random level generation:

Post November 18th, 2013, 5:17 am

So what are we looking at, Gnome? ;-)
Cat-toy-generator? 8-)
Come on, sell us this game :P

Post November 18th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Duck wrote:
So what are we looking at, Gnome? ;-)
Cat-toy-generator? 8-)
Come on, sell us this game :P

It's kind of hard to describe. I omstly just recommend you try the demo out for the best idea of what it's all about.

It plays kind of like a combination of tower defense and more traditional RTS gameplay. You fly around the (randomly generated) area made up of these threads, and you can place different nodes on them. Energy nodes generate energy (which is what you need to buy new nodes) and turrets shoot at the nearest enemy node. It takes at least two turrents to destroy any node. There's also black holes you can place near your nodes to protect them by drawing in enemy fire, and it takes four turrets to destroy them.

There are two more node types, as well, the defender (which prevents enemies from placing any nodes too near by instantly destroying them), and the missile launcher, which takes a while to charge up but has a single-shot attack with a large area of effect. The missile launcher is an expensive endgame weapon, for clearing out encampments of many nodes and black holes in one fell swoop.

Games can be really dynamic because you can place new nodes at different locations in the massive stages to try to take advantage of the target-locked enemy turrets, or to shift their focus somewhere else. It's actually pretty deep.

It also has online and LAN multiplayer but unsurprisingly given the game's age, I've yet to find a single game online. :(

This is what it might look like once you're into the battle a bit (the green and red streams of dots are turret fire, the purple rings are black holes):

Return to Game Suggestions