Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions atWar Premium

atWar Premium

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Would you like to see this game on IndieGameStand?

Yes, please!
82%
Undecided.
No votes
No, I don't have Windows.
9%
No, I hate cool games.
9%

Total votes : 11

Post August 3rd, 2013, 8:55 am

Game: atWar
Developer: ProtoBytes
Platforms: PC, Mac (uses MS Silverlight) - - Now (mostly) playable on Linux!
Distribution: Direct download, Desura, browser-based (website, Facebook, Kongregate)

phpBB [video]

atWar, formerly Afterwind, is an online multiplayer turn-based strategy game. In the best traditions of Risk and Axis & Allies, you play against other people to fight for world domination. Features free unit movement - no grids or predetermined paths. Up to 20 players in a game, simultaneous turns. Another feature is the Map Editor allowing players to create their own maps and units, giving you the chance to re-enact any battle real or imagined.

I finally got around to trying out the free version of this yesterday. I'm not usually big on strategy games, but atWar struck me as very well made, and the sense of scale you get from the globe-spanning battles is huge. The game also supports tons of user editors and stuff for creating custom maps, scenarios, and even units for your games. Want to play the Jedi fighting the Sith across the galaxy? Go ahead and make it. Want to battle IndieGameStand against bundle giants like Humble and Groupees? You can probably make that too.

The game has a free version, but the premium edition is what allows you to create custom content, among other things. I think it would be pretty sweet if we could get it featured here. The community is already pretty strong though, and the devs might not want to drop the $40 full-premium price for a sale here.

Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post August 3rd, 2013, 7:35 pm

Good stuff... I would love to give this a try as I'm a sucker for the genre.

Post August 4th, 2013, 8:06 am

I fear i too erratic and illogical for such games...

Post August 4th, 2013, 8:55 am

This would be great! We need more strategy tittles.

Post August 22nd, 2013, 9:04 am

atWar can now be played on Linux! Now everyone can enjoy atWar thanks to Pipelight, which allows Windows applications (including Silverlight).

Check out the rest of the post here

Post August 22nd, 2013, 1:49 pm

Omg, its actually heavily patched wine. And developers calls this "linux support"? No, thanks, its called "we lazy".

Post August 22nd, 2013, 1:52 pm

Toyotame wrote:
Omg, its actually heavily patched wine. And developers calls this "linux support"? No, thanks, its called "we lazy".

The game uses Silverlight, this is probably the best they can do.

Post August 22nd, 2013, 1:59 pm

Probably, but its not called as support, its rather "Hey, its even booted up, amazing"
You see, generally gameplay via wine and similar products is far less comfortable then native, expect major slowdowns, sudden crashed, buggy GUI and such things.
Anyway, it was kinda silly idea to make game based on Silverlight and expect its run on Linux.
Good, that some hardcore fans can play it on linux too, but overall...

Post August 22nd, 2013, 6:30 pm

Toyotame wrote:
Anyway, it was kinda silly idea to make game based on Silverlight and expect its run on Linux.
Good, that some hardcore fans can play it on linux too, but overall...

I agree to some extent, although when they initially released the game I don't think they ever planned for or 'expected' it to run under Linux. Looks like a user on their forums suggested this method and the devs were pleased enough with it to pass it along to their community.

Post November 10th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Looks like they support code activations, so this could probably work as a feature here. What do you guys think?

Post November 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm

I think its good news, but i suck at such games so much...
Last edited by Toyotame on November 12th, 2013, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post November 11th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Toyotame wrote:
I think its good news, but i such at such games so much...

Me too. I'm terrible at it, but this one is still enjoyable for me. Good game to play while listening to music or doing other things.

Return to Game Suggestions