Board index IndieGameStand Featured Game Deals Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages [Oct 15th-18th]

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages [Oct 15th-18th]

Official threads for IndieGameStand's 4-day game deals

Ring Runner blends the palm-perspiring action of space combat with the narrative passion of a role-playing game.

Pack a towel and embark on a journey across universal highways known as the Rings; someone out there must know who or what you are. The voice of Nero, your snarky neuro-HUD, provides guidance and compulsory companionship, but no answers. Dive into The Subrostrum, a world smaller than atoms where Will can overpower the natural forces, and resurface as a Sage capable of rewriting physical laws.

Features:

-Over 400 Unique Abilities - no abilities are redundant or made obsolete by better versions; many inspired by fantasy games
-60 Fully Customizable Ships - five archetypes with many hybrids to choose from, act as templates for abilities, billions of combinations!
-20+ Hour Story-Driven Campaign - universe based on a Sci Fi novel
-6 Scenarios- with procedural level layouts, backgrounds, and AI the challenges are unlimited! Go Solo or try Cooperatively/Competitively through Online Multiplayer
-Reliable Multiplayer - drop-in and drop-out of games with seamless host migration; no waiting in lobbies - ever!
-Classic Arcade Inspired Mini-games - earn Sage abilities by conquering challenges in The Subrostrum
-Local Coop - "Duo" ships allow a friend to act as a copilot, usable in multiplayer modes, second half of campaign, and some challenges
-Original Soundtrack - 20 tracks of music
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Nice game...and nice bonuses too!
Last edited by Toyotame on October 16th, 2013, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi everyone!

This is E.C. Dryere, one of the two brothers that developed Ring Runner. Just wanted to say a few words about the game based on some great games we've seen here on IndieGameStand.

I think that fans of Gimbal will love the fast-paced multiplayer action. Ring Runner has 6 procedurally generated multiplayer scenarios that can be faced cooperatively or competitively. We’ve got drop-in drop-out host migration, so you can just start up a match and have friends join in whenever – there’s no waiting in lobbies. And if you don’t like all that multiplayer business, you can go solo with and against the AI.

Like Gimbal, you can customize your ship from scratch. There’s 30 pre-built ships if you wanna jump straight into the action, but min-maxers will not be disappointed with the extreme level of fine tuning you can do. But the best part is that it’s not all about tweaking top speeds versus acceleration of rate of fire versus damage per bolt; the abilities in Ring Runner are extremely varied. You can play as a sniper, a back-stabbing rogue, a hammer swinging knight, a barrel-rolling fighter, a turret-fleet commander, or a comet summoning wizard.
Fans of Zigfrak will hopefully appreciate the fast-paced action and tons of loot packed into Ring Runner. It’s not quite a shoot n’ loot, but there’s plenty of shooting and looting!

I think what really sets Ring Runner apart, is its story driven campaign. It’s based on a Sci Fi novel, which is included in the deal for anyone who beats the average price, and it lasts 20-30 hours, maybe even more if you’re a completionist! The storyline is pretty epic in scope and features lots of hard and semi-solid SF concepts, but it doesn’t take itself too seriously! Right away, you’ll find plenty of humor, and that tone is maintained throughout the campaign.

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy our game. :D
-Enrique

Hi Dryere! Welcome to IGS and thanks for helping me get the game up and running yesterday (or maybe it was the other half of the team). This game is so good! Love the humor in the narrative, all the different tactics, the visual effects of the powers.

How are sales, has it been enough to compensate for the 5-year dev cycle?

And lastly, how far into the campaign do you need to be to start building your own ships? I'm up to "Into The Hutch"
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Hey Bronxsta, glad you're havin' fun!

You're a good part of the way there. You'll get a chance to feel out Rogues and Casters, then you're done with the introductory arc. You'll be given a ship of each archetype and a good bit of gear to start you up. However, if you want to get to customizing right away, you can do so in the scenarios or by skipping the rest of the intro arch (there's an option in the main menu under Single Player). ;)

If you're gonna do that, I recommend trying a few prebuilts so you can see what the archetypes play like and have something to shoot for. The main reason we don't encourage players to get customizing right away is that there's a lot of variety in Ring Runner's abilities, and it's not easy to tell if one piece of gear is "better" than another. We tried to make sure that none of the gear is ever obsolete; there's no rocket +1 in other words. Admittedly, this was one of the toughest parts of our development because options come down to player preference, but you need experience to determine preference. :shock: :P Thankfully, our next patch will speed up the process a bit, allowing your to unlock new gear more quickly and try out more weapons and abilities.

-E

ecdryere wrote:
...there's no rocket +1 in other words...

I think this is my favorite aspect of the game. So many times you play an RPG and you're comparing the slight difference in stats. But here, you're comparing what a weapon actually does and how it suits you, not choosing between 95 damage or 100 damage.

Me? I think I'm going to build an evasive hit-and-run type ship, that can move fast, drop some plasma trails and explosives, teleport around, then get the hell out of there, and attack from a different flank. It's awesome that your game allows for that kind of freedom.

What else are you planning on adding in future updates?
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

@canj - no poll in this thread?

Any hopes for Linux port?

I would have bought it here, if I didn't already got it in the Groupees bundle. ;)

We've been doing biweekly updates since we first released back in the summer. We even put out an expansion, Space Defense League. At this point, we're working on a few more issues of pacing and balance, but if the game manages to pick up a little "Steam," :P we'll be happy to continue adding more content like abilities, ships, or maybe even modes of play.

As for a Linux port, the chances are fairly slim. Unfortunately, the game was made in XNA -- seemed like a good idea 5-6 years ago when we started -- so it's tough to port. We'll look into it in the future, maybe even an Xbox version, but our immediate plans are to spring into action on our next game after Ring Runner is all squared away.

ecdryere wrote:
As for a Linux port, the chances are fairly slim. Unfortunately, the game was made in XNA -- seemed like a good idea 5-6 years ago when we started -- so it's tough to port.

I see, sad to heard, but there is a lot rumors about using monogame to port it. Fez and Virus named Tom somehow made it. Anyway, thanks for game.

Yes also heard about monogame to port it (please.. please!! also a linux entusiast). But even without linux version I'll buy the game here on IGS for the novel and soundtrack :)

Btw you can listen to the soundtrack here: http://ecdryere.bandcamp.com/album/ring-runner-soundtrack

Anyone else notice that the beat-the-average bonus book is in an archive without an extension? 7-zip recognized and opened the contents fine, but I think including the extension (".zip" I assume) would make it easier for people to use.

That aside, I've played the first several missions, and the game has been pretty fun so far. I'm not a huge fan of the grapplers and I would rather use my D-pad than the analog stick, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. The mission where you're supposed to die took me a while, though... I thought they were kidding and waded through MANY, MANY enemies before eventually falling. I assume the difficulty will ramp up soon. I'm playing on the second-hardest difficulty and not encountering any resistance.

Dinre, are you playing on "The Pool" difficulty? The game will become much more difficult, but then again, you might just be a natural born Sage! :P Most impressive.

In the game wallet I can't seem to download the digital novel. All other downloads in the extras work. :(

nullzero wrote:
In the game wallet I can't seem to download the digital novel. All other downloads in the extras work. :(

Mine downloaded previously but doesn't seem to want to work now. Perhaps it has something to do with the file having no extension. I think it should be a zip file. Get on that, Ed! Or mgnade/canj. Somebody.

Ringrunner popped up on Steam this morning, congrats to the devs for making it through Greenlight!

On a related note, since this is the first game I've bought on IndieGameStand that has come to Steam later, can someone tell me when we can expect Steam keys for the game? Edit: Wow that was fast, thanks guys!

Return to Featured Game Deals