Board index Gaming Indie Games Free Indie Game of the Day!! (may not be every day)

Free Indie Game of the Day!! (may not be every day)

Talk about all things indie gaming here

092. Fakteur

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Enjmin
Platform: PC
Release: 2013

Fakteur, a game made by students at Enjmin. It's a game about delivering the mail, and altering the mail. This game is more about the stories than anything. I decided to give the game a whirl today, mostly because I really liked the art style of the game and I just wanted to see what it was about. Didn't expect to play more than a few minutes, actually sat down through an entire playthrough. I just wanted to see what happened to all the people after I screwed with their mail.

So in Fakteur you play as the postman on your little bicycle. At the beginning of the day you make your deliveries. Once the deliveries are made is when you get to alter the mail. You have the choice between 2-4 different letters for each persons you deliver to. So do you just let the person get his or her original letter, regardless of how bad? Or do you switch it up, to perhaps make their lives better? The choice is yours. I originally intended on not altering the mail at all, however that was just too boring. Now I kind of want to play through again just to see what happens when I don't alter, or perhaps try different alternatives. You start the week on Monday and I believe it ends Saturday.

The pop up graphics are fantastic in Fakteur, as you can probably tell in the trailer. The music is nice, and what's great about it is you can pretty much tell if you're making the right choices based on the music. The game does have some broken English is spots, I imagine it will be fixed in a future patch however. Also the game doesn't really tell you what happens at the end of the week, even though you can kind of assume what happens based on the letters, I just wish the game had more of an ending. I don't regret my time spent with the game though, it is relatively short, but you might want to play it a few times through and choose different stories and letters.

Download:
http://fakteur.com/wordpress/en/
Last edited by Soli on October 11th, 2013, 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Soli wrote:
094. Space Funeral

I remember this game. It's pretty warped... I like it.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Soli wrote:

Wow, Soli.. that video you did has quite a few views (23,267 views). You should make more videos! :)

093. Red Rogue

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Aaron Steed
Platform: PC, Browser, OSX, Linux
Release: 2012

So Red Rogue is a simplistic side-scrolling Rogue-like game with a surprising amount of depth to it. To attack enemies you simply walk into them, it even keeps a log like a lot of Rogue-like games do. The dungeons are randomly generated and the difficulty ramps up pretty quickly. To be honest, the game reminds me a lot of Legend of Dungeon in that you pick up these runes and you have no idea what effect they have until you actually use them on yourself or your minion. I should mention you have a helper in the game, a little skeleton that follows you around, your minion.

The object of the game is, and I'll quote from the Red Rogue website "Descend into the Dungeon of Chaos, retrieve the Amulet of Yendor, kill all who stand in your way and return with your prize." That's it, that's the whole story. Sounds like a lot of Rogue-like games to be honest. Legend of Dungeon again comes to mind, descend the dungeon, claim your prize, and get out. I'm not comparing it to Legend of Dungeon like it's a bad thing either, in fact I'm sure Red Rogue was released first, I'm not sure which was in production longer or if either had any influence on the other though.

The graphical style is quite simplistic, and all gray-scale, which is a cool touch I think. The music and sound is pretty cool as well. The gameplay is pretty simple, but there's more than just walking into baddies. If you hit space it opens your menu. This is where you can equip things, try out runes, check your map and log, as well as other things. If you get weapons that shoot projectiles there's a key for that as well, I think it's F, I haven't quite gotten deep enough in the dungeon to obtain one of those though. I'm not sure how deep the dungeon goes, I've heard of people getting pretty far along though, floor 56 and even further. So there you have it, if you're into Rogue-like games you might want to give this one a try.

Download:
http://redrogue.net/

Or play it in your browser:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/607114
Last edited by Soli on October 28th, 2013, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

So most of you probably would have never noticed had I not mentioned it, but I altered the list a tad. I deleted Frogatto & Friends, the game is no longer free so shouldn't be on the list I felt. It was #009, so I had to correct all the numbers subsequent. Also, not long ago I tried to use Hydra Castle Labyrinth again. This will probably happen many times in the future, I'm surprised this is the first time, almost made it to 100 without using the same game twice. So I had to adjust a couple of the numbers for that as well. That's it, expect another free game, probably later today.

094. A Fistful of Gun

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Farmer Gnome

Farmer Gnome, probably better known for his commercial release on Steam Under the Ocean, has also worked on a lot of somewhat smaller, but still great, free indie titles: Under the Garden, Soul Jar, and A Fistful of Gun, come to mind. A Fistful of Gun is a top-down shooter that pays homage to shooters such as Gun.Smoke.

I haven't played a lot of the game myself, just a little bit. To be completely honest I just downloaded the game today and for whatever reason I get some slowdown which makes the game kind of hard to play. I've watched several youtubes on the game though and there was no such problems, and the game looks like a lot of fun. I'll have to figure out what's going on. The game is just a crazy arcade style top down shooter, you get shot once and your dead. I think local co-op is in the works, may even be in the game now, really not sure, haven't tested it myself.

This game looks to be a lot of fun though, and as soon as I figure out why it's slowing down on my computer I will play more of it. The graphics are very retro which is cool, and the music is great. The game is currently in an Alpha state, so I can forgive some of the issues it has, and hopefully there will be some patches in the future that corrects any problems. This game looks like it has a lot of potential and I know I can't wait until it's finished. You can download the current alpha below.

Download:
http://www.farmergnome.com/

095. Olav & the Lute

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Shelly Alon, Daniel & Johann von Appen
Platform: PC, Browser

So here's a real cool adventure game that was just released earlier today I believe. It was supposedly inspired by the Lucas Arts classic Loom. I've never played Loom so I really don't know how similar it is to that. You play the game as a hooded figure and you immediately get a book and a Lute. You must figure out what to do from there.

So it's really not to difficult to figure out what to do. You can interact with different things, for example the very first puzzle: you notice a big key hanging on the wall, you click that key and you are giving a four note combination to play on your Lute, which is written down in your book you picked up earlier. Now you play that tune on the giant door in front of you and it opens. So you just keep learning and playing different tunes on different objects. That's pretty much the gameplay in a nutshell. I guess the goal to the game is to start up a magical loom that you see in the beginning of the game.

The graphics in the game are nice, I like them. The music is good as well. I played a good chunk of this game tonight, I didn't beat it, but I may have been close? I'm really not sure. I really liked what I played of it though, it was really fun figuring things out. I do have one objection, and it's really kind of minor, but I thought all the foul words in the text was kind of unnecessary. I mean, I don't mind cussing or whatever when it feels necessary, it just really didn't in this game. Not a big deal though. If you like puzzle games I recommend trying this one out.

Download:
http://www.olavandthelute.com/

Or play it in your browser:
http://www.olavandthelute.com/play/play.html

096: Digital: A Love Story

Gameplay/Review:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Christine Love
Platform: PC, Mac, Linux
Release: 2010

So Digital: A Love Story. From the same person who brought you Analogue: A Hate Story, Hate Plus, and the other free game, Don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story. The developers name is Christine Love and she's pretty well known for her digital novel games. You can even fine Analogue and Hate Plus on Steam now, which is cool.

So I won't lie, not a big fan of the Visual Novel genre at all. I've tried to play one or two, but I couldn't get into them at all. From what I hear this one is different though. While it's still considered a VN, there's more puzzle solving, upgrading your PC, and other things involved than your typical VN. Granted there's also a lot of reading. The game takes place in 1988 and is about meeting a girl on the internet and then her vanishing. You'll be chatting on message boards, memorizing phone numbers, all sorts of other crazy things to try to get a hold of this person and see what happened.

I can't really say anything about the graphics of this game for obvious reasons. It's mostly just text. Unless I had something against the font that was used, which I don't. I'm not sure the game has music, I don't know for sure though. I haven't played the game yet, but I plan to, see if I can get into this one at all. Supposedly the game only takes an hour and a half to beat, which is fine, considering the game doesn't cost anything it's great. So hey, if your a fan of VNs and you haven't tried this one yet, well, I've heard good things, so maybe you want to check it out.

Download:
http://loveconquersallgam.es/

Post October 17th, 2013, 10:27 pm

Got another one for the list. An oldie, but a goodie.

Ancient Ants Adventure

Ancient Ants Adventure is an arena shooter with light strategic elements. Collect gold in order to expand your legion of ants and power them up (which is necessary to beat the later levels).

Features:
  • You are a commander! Command a squad of battle ants.
  • You are a strategist! Choose wisely the weaponry and the formation of your troops.
  • You are a hero! Save missing ants and reinforce your army.
  • Terrorize. Crush moles and frightened underground inhabitants will give you their gold.
  • Collect. The more gold you find the better will be the equipment of your army.
  • Serve. Complete all the divine tasks and your labour will be rewarded with a bonus level.

Contents:
  • 20 levels campaign + 2 secret levels.
  • 3 game modes: Survival, Defence, Domination, and a bonus mini-game.
  • 8 types of weapons and 8 spells with 3 upgrade levels.
  • Cheat codes.
  • Online highscores.

phpBB [video]
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

097. Eternally Us

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

(Warning: Entire game played in video.)

Developer: Ben Chandler & Calin Leafshade
Release: 2010

So Eternally Us is a pretty short point 'n' click game, pretty well known for it's story and message. The game only takes 20-25 minutes to beat, and none of the puzzles are all that difficult. It's mostly the story and narrative that keeps you going. I should mention that it's fully voiced, I don't really mind reading all that much, but the fact that it's voiced helps a lot.

It's a story about two best friends, Amber and Fio. It's a story about loss, and coping. It's kind of a sad story. You play as Amber and one second your sitting on a bench with your friend Fio, next second she vanishes and you must find her.

The gameplay is standard point 'n' click, you have your little inventory that pops up if you hover on the top of the screen. Like I mentioned above the puzzles aren't hard at all, and yet there's still an option to save the game. A game that only takes 20 minutes to beat. I should mention the music as well, because that's very well done. The game go a lot of acclaim back in 2010, and rightfully so I suppose, even though it's short, it really gets it's message across, perhaps even make you a little teary eyed by the end.

Download:
http://www.undergrowthgames.com/

098. Will You Ever Return?

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Jack King-Spooner
Release: 2012

Will You Ever Return? Is a very strange game indeed. I've never played it myself, but I've see Youtubes. So odd. It was also done in clay which is pretty great. I believe it was developed in RPG Maker. I'm really not sure what else to say about the game, it gets nothing but praise regardless of how short it is, there's also a sequel and a third game on the way? It might already be out, not sure. I'm just going to copy and paste the description from the website here.

He was a good straight boy to begin with, but there was bad blood in him. Somehow, somewhere he got into the dark deeds that lead straight to Devil's work, just like marijuana leads to heroin; you think you can take them dark deeds and leave 'em, do you? Just save a few for your bad days? Well, now, we all have those bad days when you can't think for shit.

As the world left him behind and he fell to Inferno he heard some sobs "Will you ever return? Will you ever return?" from his good girl. He was moving in a series of convulsive spasms, like someone with an epileptic fit, his face distorted and his eyes wild like a lassoed horse bracing his legs. But something kept pulling him on. And now he's picking up the skulls and making the circle in Inferno so that he might revisit Jenny on that holiest of nights Halloween.

Virgil is there to guide him and introduce him to the three-ring-circus of characters. Satan has a good word for you, the Baxter Twins give a smile, The Rivers of Blood and the memory of her.

So there you have it. That ought to give you a good idea of just how strange this game and it's developer it. Interested? The link is below.

Download:
http://flottantpigbit.blogspot.com/

099. Fey

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Ashes of Emerald

Fey, a game that was eight years in the making. The game was made in RPG Maker 2003 using all original art assets. While being made in RPG Maker, it plays more like a top down Zelda game, think A Link to the Past. The game is a little short, but I almost prefer them that way anymore. I just can't sit and play 90 hour plus RPGs like I used to, that could just be me though. This one is great though.

The story goes as follows: Fey is the story of Landon Ferngrass, a young boy with a broken past who is lured back into a wild and sobering adventure by a mysterious shape shifter named Picaro.

...Fey allows players to take control of Landon and embark on a journey that will push him to his emotional, intellectual and physical limits as he tries to set his past right and discover the real truth behind Oak Island and the legendary artifact of souls, the Fire Pearl.

I would like to better explain the story, but it would be spoiling the game actually, because pieces of the story are told in flashbacks though out the game. You're pretty much on a quest to find this Fire Pearl.

The graphics in the game are really nice, I really appreciate that all of the art assets are original. I have trouble playing RPG Maker games that use the default faces that come with RPG Maker. The music is also well done, fits nicely with the game. The gameplay is great, like I said above it plays more like LttP than your typical RPG Maker game. You get a couple different weapons through out, and there's even these quick time events in the game. It's a fun little game, that you can tell a lot of effort was put into and certainly worthy of your time.

Download:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/778/

Click here for Free Indie Games 001-050

Click here for Free Indie Games 051-075

Free Indie Games 076-100
Please, if you see any broken links, have a better link, or even notice any typos, let me know via PM. Thank you.

076. Soul Caster
077. Cavenaut
078. Hero Core
079. Experiment 12
080. Tower of Heaven
081. Deity
082. Noitu Love
083. Au Sable
084. Ripple Dot Zero
085. Gaurodon
086. Ranger
087. Ark 22
088. Plasma Pig
089. Celestial Mechanica
090. Gingiva
091. Space Funeral
092. Fakteur
093. Red Rogue
094. A Fistful of Gun
095. Olav & The Lute
096. Digital: A Love Story
097. Eternally Us
098. Will You Ever Return?
099. Fey
100. The High Road

100. The High Road

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: QCPolmer

I actually don't know a lot about The High Road. What I do know is you play as a janitor and the game is very menu driven. I also think there's a lot of math involved in the game as well, puzzle solving math. I think I remember when the game was first released it was commercial, they later decided to make it free. From what little I've seen in the gameplay videos and trailers the game seems quite funny as well.

Like I mentioned above, I don't know much about whats going on in this game. I know you are a janitor in a large office building, the game is very menu driven and there are a lot of match puzzles. You don't see a whole lot of those, I don't think it's necessarily edu-tainment, but I imagine you might learn something from playing. No idea what the story is or what any of the goals are, but I can say some of the dialog in the gameplay videos I've watched look pretty funny, so the game does have a sense of humor, which is always good.

The graphics look colorful and old school. The music as well. Not sure what else I can say about this one, not a whole lot really until I give it a try. I was always okay in math, not super great, but alright. I'm a tad curious to see just what kind of math puzzles are in this game and whether or not I would enjoy it.

Download:
http://www.desura.com/games/the-high-road

101. Keyboard Drumset F%$king Werewolf

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

(Warning: game is beaten in above video. )

Developer: Cactus
Platform: PC, Mac
Release: 2011

Well right off the bat you know KDFW is going to be out there, not just because of the name, but it was made by Cactus. Cactus is mostly known for Hotline Miami, but before that he made a lot of odd little freeware titles, this is one of them.

It plays like several short little mini games, the first part of the game you have to collect cubes, then the next part has you mashing Z and X to turn into a werewolf. Several other little mini games as well, but to list them all would kind of be spoiling. I'm not sure there is a story to this game, but there is a boss at the end, so you at least feel like you accomplished something. The above video is a speed run of the game, if it's your first time trying the game, it will probably take you a little longer than a couple minutes, especially since every time you die you have to start from the beginning.

I think the game was made to promote some band, so if you're into the music in the game that's awesome, if not, well then obviously you're not going to care for the music in this game. The graphics are typical Cactus, colorful and retro, pretty trippy as well. Not sure how else you'd describe it. Crazy game, somewhat infuriating, but worth the time it takes to play it.

Download:
http://cactusquid.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... ewolf.html

102. Dead Colony

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Second Variety Games

Hey, I actually paid I think 3 dollars for this game a while back, and now it's free! Not fair! Haha, 3 dollars well spent in my opinion. Dead Colony is one of them Rouge Likes, I think it started out with the ASCII style graphics, and worked it's way up to actually have okay looking graphics. They are minimal, but when you consider your character was one a '@', well it come a long way. The game describes itself as a shooter, I guess it is. You do shoot a lot. I'll just copy paste the description from the Desura page below.

This is a sci-fi, 2D, keyboard-controlled shooter in style of Robotron, but with modern features like voiceovers and scripted sequences. The gameplay is frantic and bloody, and each weapon is good for a specific situation.

NOTE: the game is story-driven and DOES NOT FEATURE RANDOM LEVELS.

You play as Dr. Green, expelled from medical practice after an unfortunate incident. Mysteriously freed from cryoprison on colony Sarang-2, he discovers that there are very few humans left in the world.

Driven by the desire to find his estranged daughter and haunted by flashback to the incident that ruined his life, he has to make his way across the devastated surface of the planet, and overcome unspeakable challenges.

The game is pretty good, I enjoyed what little I played of it. Certainly worth the asking price of nothing, heck it was worth the 3 dollars I paid for it a few months back, easily. It's really good if you enjoy the Rouge Like shooter game. The graphics aren't top notch or anything, but that's really not what they are going for at all, and the sound and music is decent enough. It's mostly about the story and the gameplay though, which are probably two of the most important things in a game.

Download:
http://www.desura.com/games/dead-colony

103. 7 Days a Skeptic

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Yahtzee
Release: 2004

The second game in the Chzo Mythos series by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. If you've played 5 Days then you should kind of already have an idea what to expect here. It's truly a great series of games, granted a little older now, but if you haven't played them you should.

This game takes place 400 years after the events at DeFoe Manor, you know with Trilby and all that good stuff. This game takes place in space:

Mankind has moved on from mother Earth, and after the invention of warp technology, is fast mapping the universe one light year at a time. Due to a shortage of materials, the Earth Federation instigates a new program to upgrade old and retired vessels. The Mephistopheles, a small ageing scouting craft, is the first ship to undergo the process. Crewed by a new compliment of 6 crewmen, she is assigned to map out the Caracus galaxy.

Just a few days into the assignment, the crew of the Mephistopheles discover an unknown artifact floating unprotected in deep space: an ancient metal locker. Ignoring advice from the Federation to leave it for a research vessel, the captain brings it aboard and prepares to lift the lid...

If you haven't played these games by now you probably should, good stuff, really.

Download:
http://fullyramblomatic-yahtzee.blogspot.com/

104. Legend of Princess

Gameplay:
phpBB [video]

Developer: Konjak
Release: 2009

So Legend of Princess by Konjak, his homage to the Zelda series. It's kind of a 2D sidescrolling Zelda, a fan game if you will. A lot of similar looking enemies and music as well. Unfortunately, because it's a fan game, Konjak decided not to make it very lengthy at all. There's one level divided into two sections with two different bosses I believe. It shouldn't take but a half an hour to get thought though.

At the start of the game you get to select a different set of items to use in the game: There's a hookshot, bow and arrow, chicken, couple other things as well, I just can't remember them off the top of my head. Depending on the items you choose will change the levels ever so slightly and change the difficulty of the game. You have one, two, or three stars. The game doesn't really have a story at all, it just throws you in and you start swinging, which is fine.

The graphics in the game are great. Colorful, pixely, very Konjak. If you've seen Konjaks other work then you should know what to expect here. The music is fun too, very Zelda like. If you are a fan of the Zelda games I highly suggest checking this game out. It's a tiny download and like I mentioned above, it's kind of short, but amazing nonetheless.

Download:
http://www.konjak.org/

I know this isn't one game, but here is a constantly updating site of free, quirky, more "out-of-the-box" games:

http://forestambassador.com/

Enjoy
Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    The Floor Is Jelly
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

105. AlterEgo

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Developer: RetroSouls
Platform: PC, Linux
Release: 2011

So AlterEgo by RetroSouls is a 2D retro puzzle game. Actually the sequel to the game, AlterEgo: Dreamwalker, just went freeware recently, but I figured I'd better do this one first. They also made a game called 8-Bit Night. That's the only one of the three games I have any experience with, it was kind of fun. Clever mechanics, if you're into puzzle platformers I suggest checking them out.

Alter Ego is a clever retro styled single screen puzzle platformer with an interesting swapping mechanic. You control a blueish little guy and his phantom alter ego (that moves in a mirrored fashion) at the same time. Swap places with the invincible alter ego to reach normally unreachable corners and collect all the pixels to solve each stage.

Took that off of the Desura page. That pretty much explains the gameplay mechanic right there. The graphics are as mentioned, retro. I don't recall the music, I'm sure it's fitting though at the very least. If it's anything like the trailer than the music is great, not always the case though.

Download:
http://www.retrosouls.net/
or on Desura:
http://www.desura.com/games/alterego

PreviousNext

Return to Indie Games