Board index IndieGameStand Store So the IndieGameStand Store is finally here

So the IndieGameStand Store is finally here

Official thread for the IGS Store

Duck wrote:
So not crap basically? :P

It's all still a bit Topware to me. But then that's in the store too :twisted:

I didnt said these crap. Maybe they inferior, but sure not crap. On other side game like Chernobyl Commando is bleh

I didnt said these crap. Maybe they inferior, but sure not crap

You seem to always read only parts of the sentences that appeal to you in general :twisted:

I said "So not crap basically?". Basically inferior as you put it but not near to good :P
(Yes their shooters are pretty.. 'special'. Even they admitted to that in Groupees chat a bit back :roll: )

Post October 3rd, 2013, 10:55 am

Another thought I've had: what about a system that allowed developers to sell multiple 'editions' of their games?

For example, Full Bore is currently available direct from the site as the standard game, or the 'soundtrack edition' that also comes with the soundtrack, but costs more money. This would allow developers to still distribute their bonus content via IndieGameStand without:
  • losing money
  • overcharging the people who don't want the bonuses
Example (Desura):

Another way you could do this would be to allow the developers to set a separate price on the bonuses for a game, so that if you wanted the soundtrack, you would just pay for that and the game. This wouldn't work for games with 'special editions' though where the upgraded game is actually different than the standard game (the Megabyte Punch special edition has more multiplayer levels, for example).
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post by GnomeSlice » 28 minutes ago

Good one. You could even use the BTA mechanic for that.
Makes it'unusual and shiny' perhaps even (and more organized likely).

Also, I saw some devs actually had a widget up for IGS so my earlier
point I was beating to the punch on already.

So...what's up with the thousand and one Topware games? Okay maybe not that many.

But I mean games like Jagged Alliance and Two Worlds are cool, but I don't think they belong on IGS. Jagged Alliance is a known old school series, even has a modern reboot of sorts, and I definitely wouldn't call Two Worlds 2 an indie. I don't know, I just think that IGS should be for up-and-coming indie devs, the ones who could use the attention, not an established developer like Topware

Just my opinion
Last edited by Bronxsta on October 8th, 2013, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Topware...well, hard question, imho. On one side they cannot be called very Indie...on other, own Topware store is SUCKS. so, IGS becoming something like Humble Store - DRM-free (more or less) downloads to one, Steam keys to other?
Is it THAT bad? not sure...In my meaning presence of some ultra-crappy KISS titles is much worse....

Toyotame wrote:
Topware...well, hard question, imho. On one side they cannot be called very Indie...on other, own Topware store is SUCKS. so, IGS becoming something like Humble Store - DRM-free (more or less) downloads to one, Steam keys to other?
Is it THAT bad? not sure...In my meaning presence of some ultra-crappy KISS titles is much worse....

But their games on Steam, or at least the ones that are on IGS, are on Steam as well, and GMG, and GOG. It's not like they're unknown or in desperate need of a store. I guess I just like the idea of the IGS store staying indie exclusive and not have games from more established developers like Topware.
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

The topware games were a hard decision for us...

A few slipped through and then when we denied the others because we felt they weren't indie, they took the time to send us several emails about how they are an independent company and how can some of their games be indie and others not...

We appreciated their passion for our store and felt that we were not in a position to judge their "indie-ness." Since a couple of their games slipped through (and actually sold well) we didn't feel we could go back and take them away from customers and remove their games - and we also felt that we couldn't pick and choose which games qualified as indie.

In conclusion - we really need a new vocabulary around indie games. Topware type developers are certainly not our focus, but we also feel like they don't hurt the store.

Post October 9th, 2013, 9:24 am

The link to the newest game in the store, Fortify Special Edition, doesn't appear to be working. I can tell from the URL that something is borked too, there's no title.

https://indiegamestand.com/store/462//

EDIT: It's been fixed, thanks guys!

Ok, i think, that overall, Topware is something like "unavoidable evil". Maybe it was not greatest decision, but i cannot say its overall very bad. As i said before, in IGS they give users both keys and standalone downloads. There os things like GOG, ofc, but i not heard about Steam keys in them. SO, i think, let them be as is. Funny to hear how "games slipped in store unnoticed", lol.

But, i think that IGS still should more focus on gettin no doubt indie games in store. For example Flock was sold for 1$ in INDIEVANIA during NotOnSteam sale. Its very bad! You need to invite them here. There is a lot of indie developers that using strange solutions to sell games, things like Fastspring - i think they is one of your possible game vendor base.

Is the IGS Store part of Bigger Boat?
http://surpriseattackgames.com/distribution

That made you think so?
I sont want to hurt anyone, but its kinda too soon to compare IGS and, Desura or GOG

It's a distributor/publisher, don't see how IGS or any other store would join it.

The aim of any distro is to get better prices for their members and get their product(s)
better availability. They do the admin work for developers like getting games to IGS,
Amazon, GMG, whatever store at supposedly the best deal.

While we're not opposed to bigger boat - our platform is pretty open and there's no reason that a developer would need to partner up to get on our service.

mgnade wrote:
While we're not opposed to bigger boat - our platform is pretty open and there's no reason that a developer would need to partner up to get on our service.

Yes, but BiggerBoat is intended for developers too lazy to bother about anything except Steam.

Post October 19th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Re: Different game editions

Looks like IGS have already decided how they want to approach this:

Our preference would actually be that Soundtrack, goodies bonus content be included with every game purchase - but some developers don't like that or need to pay their sound guy for soundtracks etc.

mgnade wrote:
Our preference would actually be that Soundtrack, goodies bonus content be included with every game purchase - but some developers don't like that or need to pay their sound guy for soundtracks etc.

Is there a way to keep it the way Full Bore has done it, but lump them into a single store page? Then you could choose which edition of the game you wanted from the main store page.

I just stumbled onto my original mockup of the store:
store.jpg
store.jpg (781.44 KiB) Viewed 899 times

Gigamyte definitely improved on my original mockup - but it wasn't like mine was complete crap...was it?

mgnade wrote:
Gigamyte definitely improved on my original mockup - but it wasn't like mine was complete crap...was it?

Nah, it looks fine. The current one is better yeah, but you would have been able to use that one without any problems I think.

PreviousNext

Return to Store