Board index Gaming Indie Games Insta-buy: what makes you?

Insta-buy: what makes you?

Talk about all things indie gaming here

Post October 12th, 2013, 12:48 pm

My question for all of you:

Is there something about certain games that makes you buy them instantly?

For me, it's shoot-em ups and adventure platformers. Veni, vidi, emit. I came, I saw, I bought.

Also, I love amorphous puzzlers, like Spacechem, where there is no "perfect solution," but many different kinds of solutions exist.

Whenever stuff like this comes up on IGS, I buy it without hesitation.

Post October 12th, 2013, 4:14 pm

If I don't own it and it has production value, I insta-buy. It definitely helps if it has keys.

Post October 12th, 2013, 5:14 pm

I rarely make impulse purchases, because I like to do research and read reviews first. But I love challenging games, roguelikes, games with awesome pixel art, puzzle platformers, and exploration-heavy games

My few instant-buys were Escape Goat 1 (plus EG2 preorder), Broforce, and Teleglitch
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post October 15th, 2013, 4:19 am

Most my impulse buys are dumped in my wish list as I need to be very careful
on what and when I buy :*(

The ones I did do however seem to mostly be from developers I've had GREAT
experiences with before. Klei games e.g. I don't even watch a trailer for; if I can
buy it, I do it 'instantly'.

In general, I mostly go for visual style and originality (both becoming rare esp.
in 'indie games'; the rest of my main points comes after first glance as it's more
actual game related.

Post October 15th, 2013, 6:45 am

Most of my buys are linux. If its a linux game with GOG/Steam key then its a instabuy. It actually happened with The Real Texas, that I havent tried yet. And it all started with Geneforge, which was the game that got me into IGS, and which also had a pretty good wine compatibility. ;)

Now I'm also looking at games that come along with an android app. Missed the Rico in IGS, and so I'll probably get it in the IGS store.

Post October 15th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Now I'm also looking at games that come along with an android app

If you happen to wonder towards Journey to Farland, do give me a quick review. Not sure what to think of it after a quick demo-run :oops:

Post October 15th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Duck wrote:
If you happen to wonder towards Journey to Farland, do give me a quick review. Not sure what to think of it after a quick demo-run :oops:

Ok... first impression... too ugly to try. But its a roguelike and there's probably a rule somewhere against judging a roguelike for its looks

So let's see... the Android comments are basically "its ugly but it plays good" and "there's a problem with the controls" but this latter seems to have been addressed. They also praise the developer feedback.

Then I tried the demo too. Took a while to understand the keys (A and B) I tried to enter a house, and it was actually the exit to the forest... :roll: I carried on tried, to get away from a monster and got stuck between two of them, punched a lot and I died.

So I tried the training option at the start . I did that and got a bit of equipment and it served as a tutorial. It seems different items are to be used with different monsters so there's a bit of inventory managment instead of just strike, strike, strike. Now with weapon and shield from the tutorial I could hack a bit in the forest and it is nice that the enemies have different attacks, for exemple a red bug could grab you and send you in the opposite direction. And if you accidentaly move into the monster theres no problem, it wait till you press A to strike and it sorts out the right direction. So I can see why they rate the playability well. Also the music is catchy.

There were also some kirks, like a vampire killed me and it leveled up :P

So I don't know... I would be more willing to het Rico or Snorms/Alien Blitz in the IGS store. Or in the Android Market both Brogue and Gurk (were the looks aren't great either). But then again, if you look at the hints in the game website - http://www.peculiar-games.com/voyage-to-farland/hints - there actually a bit of depth to this game, and the ratings show that while there werent many reviews, most were favorable, so the play is solid. But with all the games in the Android Play store, and those from the Indie Bundle I don't see getting this one too soon.

Finally and back to the thread TL;DR : maybe having an android version is not actually insta-buy for me :oops:

Post October 16th, 2013, 12:40 am

I'll buy just about any game for $1 or less if I don't already have it and it looks at all interesting. This is one of the best things about the IGS featured deals. The majority of what's featured here that I don't already have meet this criteria.

But it's not only the featured deals. I purchased Rhythm Destruction just a few minutes ago because it was on sale for $1 in the IGS store and looks worth giving a try to.

Once past that magical $1 price point, it depends on any of the following. The more "boxes" I can check, the more likely I am to buy it:

- Is the price equivalent to 75% of full price or cheaper.
- Is the game in a genre that I enjoy.
- If not in a genre I normally enjoy, is it an exceptional example if the genre it is in?
- Does it come with interesting extras? (OST, extra levels, bonus games, art books, etc )
- If it's on Steam, does it have Steam cards which are essentially like getting some extra % off.
- Do any of the posters whose likes and dislikes I've gotten a "feel" for like it? There are folks on several of the IGS, CAG, GoG and Steam forums whose opinions on games I find useful. Zeroxxx, toyotame, letsmaybelp92, Soli, Spoderman, kalirion, Kaisertroll and MANY others (sorry if your name isn't here, there's literally too many to list). Also folks from the Groupees chat like Paul, Jack and WS.

Paying over $5 a game is pretty rare. It generally has to be something my son has been asking for and he gets them as something special, like if he got good grades or it's his birthday or something. Things like Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, SimCity and BeamNG Drive are all things that were $15 and over that fell into this category.

Meanwhile, I'll play my backlog and patiently wait for Gas Guzzlers Extreme and all the Pinball FX2 tables I don't have yet to hit that magical 75% off. :D

Oh yeah, this game needs to be featured in one of the 4 day deals on IGS: https://indiegamestand.com/store/493/tu ... s-odyssey/

Post October 16th, 2013, 11:21 am

oogla wrote:
Zeroxxx, toyotame, letsmaybelp92, Soli, Spoderman, kalirion, Kaisertroll and MANY others (sorry if your name isn't here, there's literally too many to list). Also folks from the Groupees chat like Paul, Jack and WS.

:(
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post October 16th, 2013, 5:37 pm

GnomeSlice wrote:
oogla wrote:
Zeroxxx, toyotame, letsmaybelp92, Soli, Spoderman, kalirion, Kaisertroll and MANY others (sorry if your name isn't here, there's literally too many to list). Also folks from the Groupees chat like Paul, Jack and WS.

:(

You don't count. You practically work here. :lol:

Post October 23rd, 2013, 12:27 pm

I guess its hard to anything that oogla said. Its pretty much same situation with anyone, i guess. Easy to spend 1$ on pretty random game (it should be very not my type of game, or problematic to get running or just bad naturally to skip), but its becomes much more demanding with price increase.
As for other peoples opinions, i guess they need attention but one should rely on his own feelings. If there is demo version and you uncertain - one should try it.
And one more thing - if you not liking game from earlier stage its pretty low chances that you will like it later. If you seeing gameplay on youtube and asking yourself WTF (not understanding thats going on) and its not WTF in funny way, maybe better skip.

Return to Indie Games