Board index IndieGameStand Store Proposal: Uploading from an external location

Proposal: Uploading from an external location

Official thread for the IGS Store

Post October 8th, 2013, 10:31 am

Hi, I'm from the team that develops Frogatto & Friends, and I'm kinda stuck; I want to upload Frogatto to the IGS, but uploading 4 builds and a soundtrack will take me a full day (>1 GB on my 300kbps uplink)
Thus, it'd be really great to be able to choose an URL from which to upload files; it'd be tough to use up a full day of internet whenever there's a new version of the game.

Soundtrack for Frogatto is only thing i missed for it in Groupees Bundle :cry:

Well... modules/frogatto/music folder. There's the soundtrack - enjoy! :lol:
Though yeah, I figure we'll do it as a separate download as well.

You could create a torrent or magnet link and give that (only) to IGS
for the files you want to upload so they can yank the files across.

That way it doesn't influence your bandwidth going forward and
it still get to here quickly enough.

+1 for uploading from a URL!

Duck wrote:
You could create a torrent or magnet link and give that (only) to IGS
for the files you want to upload so they can yank the files across.

That way it doesn't influence your bandwidth going forward and
it still get to here quickly enough.

I must be misunderstanding something because... surely he'd be the only seed for the torrent and therefore it'd take just as long?

I must be misunderstanding something because... surely he'd be the only seed for the torrent and therefore it'd take just as long?

The package is much smaller in case of a magnet so not really. If done as an old fashioned torrent it's at worst just as slow but with the ability to pause and boost where/when possible.

Duck wrote:

The package is much smaller in case of a magnet so not really. If done as an old fashioned torrent it's at worst just as slow but with the ability to pause and boost where/when possible.

I'm with SirPrimalform on this one. I don't see how a torrent with one uploader on a capped uplink, and one downloader, can feasibly be any faster than a direct upload. The same max upload speed is still in effect, and the upload still contains the same amount of data. The reason torrents are fast is because all downloaders act as uploaders to each other, but you lose that advantage in this scenario.

You're right that a magnet is much smaller than the equivalent .torrent file, but both are negligible compared to the size of the file being transferred (1GB+) and that doesn't change.

Upload via torrent 1 to 1 is not faster, its more protected from data corruption. Even if process will be interrupted, it will recover from same place and continue. Even if its interrupted several times.
Overall, i think that torrent upload is very advanced idea...but i dont sure how IGS stuff can implement it. Organizing server daemon to download files is not hard and pretty easy to automate too, but its still additional work.

There's also FXP, which allows you to upload directly from one FTP server to another if they both support FXP. Not so many sites support this anymore because it can be abused. But if IGS and your other server allow it, you could use a client like UltraFXP or FlashFXP to do the transfer without relying on your local bandwidth.

Post by Toyotame » October 13th, 2013, 7:32 pm

IDD. My reply said the same but the interwebz seem to have eaten it >..<

The speed comes mainly from the fact that it's the most secure and flexible
download manager feature out there. Bandwidth hassles are a non-issue.

Add the feature to your library, same as Humble does eg, and you've got the
ultimate tool there for everybody. Anybody downloading a DRM-free file or
extra will, at the least while downloading, seed.
Do it as Groupees does, and it will fail, yes. But they're sadly utterly clueless
and giving vague and nonsensical advice on clients even.

A raw torrent file of +/- 350MB has a 10MB difference about, that's
substantial if size is an issue for whatever reason. Magnet is more fluent,
but as it's not an actual file but a link, it's even smaller.
This all is ignoring that you should be wrapping it up anyway, of course.

You could do the unsecure normal download managers or a true 1-on-1
connection via FTP or whatever, but they offer only offer dis-advantages
compared

Return to Store