Official thread for the IGS Store

Would you use this?

I would use it
20%
I have no use for this
80%

Total votes : 10

Post October 7th, 2013, 8:21 pm

I have really bad internet (really). It's difficult for me to download large files all at once without them failing or hogging my bandwidth.

I've noticed that IGS is using .php pages as the download pages. Unfortunately, these aren't compatible with most (if any) download managers. I understand that a direct link would be very easy to pass around and share with friends, so that's kind of out of the question.
(My source is the error message that comes up if I try it while logged out)
Error: You cannot download this file because you are not logged in.

I tend to aim for games on IGS that also come with Desura keys because it allows me to download the game over an extended period if necessary. Because of this, not having a 3rd party key is potentially a dealbreaker for me, especially with big games.

I would therefore like to propose a thing:

An (optional) IndieGameStand downloader application.

An application you can log into, which pulls the games from your wallet and lets you download them that way. Here are some ideal features:
  • Pausing and resuming downloads
  • Bandwidth throttling
  • Download queue
I realize this isn't necessarily an easy thing to do, but I'd just like to put it forward as something for the future.
An android app similar to Humble's would be nice as well, but that's a whole other thing.

Here are some examples:

Beatport:

IndieCity (sorry for the tiny image):

Or Shinyloot (which is really ugly):

Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post October 7th, 2013, 8:43 pm

I can agree on that Groupees wallet is very unfriendly to download managers...

Post October 8th, 2013, 5:45 am

I can agree on that Groupees wallet is very unfriendly to download managers...

The Groupees website is scripts combined with non-compressed content almost top to bottom.
It's unfriendly to anything, especially mobile browsers e.g.

Post October 8th, 2013, 9:39 am

Well, judging from the state of the poll I guess this was a silly suggetion...

Post October 8th, 2013, 12:34 pm

No, i dont think its silly, i rather thing its little too soon for that idea. IGS may try to make downloads more downloaded friendly too.

Post October 8th, 2013, 8:52 pm

GnomeSlice wrote:
Well, judging from the state of the poll I guess this was a silly suggetion...

Never stop believing GS! :idea:

Post October 8th, 2013, 9:08 pm

While the concept is great, it's just way more work than it is worth. Making a standalone-downloader application is a huge undertaking, and its not what we are in the business of doing.

I understand your struggle with internet, I am sorry. Personally, I havn't had bad internet for YEARS. I consider myself lucky I guess. Even cable goes out, I still have my hacked OS 4G Hotspot on my Android (CynogenMod thank you).

Love you Gnome.
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post October 8th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Also - I think that our system is as easy as it can get. If anyone has a suggestion on how to make the process -

1. Select OS
2. Click File
3. Download

....easier for an outside app or browser, please let us know! Chrome has a TON of downloader extensions. THere might besometingin there that works for you?

Please post suggestions!
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post October 8th, 2013, 9:48 pm

canj wrote:
Also - I think that our system is as easy as it can get. If anyone has a suggestion on how to make the process -

1. Select OS
2. Click File
3. Download

....easier for an outside app or browser, please let us know! Chrome has a TON of downloader extensions. THere might besometingin there that works for you?

Please post suggestions!

Yes, system as is easy to use, but its implemented in somehow unusual way. For example, download buttons in wallet is made in pure javasript, so you cannot click and Save as...come on, they not even detected as links in Firefox downloader extensions.

Hmm, not unique...
How interesting.
I sure there is some background into making it this way, downloads tracking, statistics, but i cannot, for example, use Flashgot to offload downloading task to wget as i do usually.

Ok, i looked in page source and it looks like download link for files is requested from server each time Download button is clicked. Probably unique every time. No way to make it work with file downloaders.

Post October 19th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Toyotame wrote:
Ok, i looked in page source and it looks like download link for files is requested from server each time Download button is clicked. Probably unique every time. No way to make it work with file downloaders.

:(

Post November 18th, 2013, 6:00 pm

I agree with the suggestion.

I have 100MBPS up/down speeds, Steam and Origin downloads with 10-12MPBS, other bundle websites average at 3-6MPBS but Tower of Guns has an average of 35kbps... I left it on overnight but the connection timed out.

At least torrent links, or alternate mirrors would be great.

Post November 19th, 2013, 10:51 am

Never had any download from IGS be slow for me. Basically anything under 100MB is done almost instantly.

Steam is about as slow as it gets but it seems capped for every single person I ask (and that's lots) at 5MB,
not sure where that massive speed increase comes from on your end there..

Other clients are at LEAST 8MB/s, just not Steam or >shivers< GMG wonderful downloader.

Of the two options, torrents would be cheapest and easiest. It has to be well executed though. Doesn't have
to be Humble Amazon-hosted quality but if it's near the unsupported, clueless version eg Groupees uses, don't
bother at all.

Post November 19th, 2013, 11:04 am

Duck wrote:
Of the two options, torrents would be cheapest and easiest. It has to be well executed though. Doesn't have
to be Humble Amazon-hosted quality but if it's near the unsupported, clueless version eg Groupees uses, don't
bother at all.

Groupees torrents was strange for me every time i tried to use them - see a lot of peers and no one connecting. And i dont have problem with ports\blocked protocols, gray IPs.

Post November 19th, 2013, 11:18 am

I didn't actually mind peer/IP-lists for the ones I tried. It just came to there never being
a single host. Read Groupees isn't seeding even but rather expects magic to happen..

Wasn't any blocks on my end either but speaking to the staff I didn't get the impression
that had any clue about the process at all to be fair but wanted it cause it 'was cool and handy'.

Post November 19th, 2013, 11:27 am

Duck wrote:
Never had any download from IGS be slow for me. Basically anything under 100MB is done almost instantly.

Everything is slow for me. :(

Post November 19th, 2013, 11:36 am

Everything is slow for me. :(

[spoiler]It's the moose nibbling on the wires in your case.[/spoiler]

Return to Store