Board index IndieGameStand Store [Poll] Most important Store Feature

[Poll] Most important Store Feature

Official thread for the IGS Store

What's the most important feature that needs to be added to the store?

User Reviews (Can only vote if own the game)
31%
Wishlist / Save game for later
31%
DRM Free icon in Game list
15%
Game Recommendation Engine (based on game wallet and your reviews)
No votes
File & system information displayed on store pages
No votes
Allow Free Games in Store
15%
Add Game Demos to Store
No votes
Paysafecard / Bitcoin / more payment options
8%

Total votes : 13

Post October 2nd, 2013, 3:13 pm

Vote on the next store update we should work on - mods feel free to add options to the poll if I've missed any ideas out there.

Post October 2nd, 2013, 3:24 pm

Voted for user reviews, because that's one of the more interactive/community oriented options of the list, but i kinda wish we were allowed to vote on more than one option because the "Paysafecard / Bitcoin / more payment options" is 10000x more important (in my eyes) to the health of your store than User reviews.. living in the US, we get spoiled thinking our debit cards/etc will work for every payment gateway, and we tend to forget that the rest of the world doesnt have the trappings inherit in such a system. Allowing for more forms of payment just means that youre able to reach a larger audience of consumers.. In fact, I think I'm going to go back and formally change my vote in the poll to other forms of payment..

Hooray for a post that convinces its author to change his mind.
Know all of your enemies
We know who all of our enemies are
steam : twitch : desura
Way to plant, Ann!

Post October 2nd, 2013, 3:29 pm

Add Paysafecard and I'LL BUY ALL THE GAMES! I swear it! That pretty much sums my opinion on this subject. It would also be cool if you you could add "credit" to your account and besides using that credit on the store you could also use it on the PWYW deals.

Post October 2nd, 2013, 3:41 pm

Obviously this is about prioritizing ideas - all the ideas are good but with limited resources we need to pick things that have the biggest impact. Some of these ideas are much easier to implement than others too.

Post October 2nd, 2013, 4:21 pm

I know where was several guys in Humble Bundles's blog comments which whined (Dont want anyone offended) about Paysafecard all the time and they had moderate support...
SO, while i personally dont care much, maybe. really, implement that thing for them?
Also, one less thing. I dont know how much customers you got from Russia, but i sure know that our peoples prefer to pay with local payment systems like WebMoney, Yandex.money or QIWI wallet, so if you interested to gettin more purchases from that area they is mandatory.

As for poll, i personally chosen "Get Steam Key if Greenlit icon/confirmation" which seems for me most productive in term of increasing sales even through i personally dont care about Steam.

Post October 2nd, 2013, 5:28 pm

Wishlist for me. As the Store grows, it's going to be more and more painful
to keep track of what you want/liked. Add something like a price-drop notice
to it and it's a winner for me.

- Reviews are great but it will take so long before a baseline is there so it's long-term
planning for me, no use to rush it.
- DRM-free icon. Well.. convenient perhaps but for most customers it's likely enough
to not have any of the others. Even if you use several, you'll be looking for your
main choice.
- Greenlight notification. Nice to be lazy and more useful on paper I'd say. People
that shop for a game specific are the only ones generally who want want that key
NOW! and they'll know about it being Greenlit already and hunt the key down.
The rest is likely happy w a newsletter if anything is required at all.
- Free games. Creates traffic, but does it create sales? I don't think so.
People love freebies but don't want anything beyond that generally.
- More payment options. Sure, there's always random countries that can't or won't use
the most common ones. Do you want the hassle and the cost for those few?
Add Skrill, if anything, even Russian Steam traders seem to approve of that. You'll
never have them all but Amazon/Google/Paypal are worldwide and available in just
about any country w electricity that is not under embargo. All the local ones are not
worth the effort IMO.

Post October 2nd, 2013, 7:20 pm

Yes you right, local payment system is ofc not that big as Paypal and so on, but on other side, i seen a zillion of time chats like
"there is sale for X here!"- "i dont have card\paypal=google, do they accept Webmoney\yandexmoney\Qiwi? No? then no buy"

Main problem with Paypal\Amazon\Google is that they all is basically just extension for bank card (roughly, but this is valid for russia), and in country there only several % use card to pay in internet its problem: "58% of russian have card, 89% of cardholders use it to get cash from ATM, 39% cardholders use it in stores, and only 6% is use for internet payments". In runet things like paypal\amazon and so on is NOT used at all. For online payments its either direct card processing (scary, rare and full of fields and security checks) or non card systems.

Not like i telling IGS to really look into this, but its one of things they should count too.

Post October 2nd, 2013, 8:24 pm

Oooo, it's really hard to pick. Personally, I'd love to see wishlists and user reviews, but I think site cleanup like correcting the DRM-Free badge placement, and displaying filesize and other info (which isn't in the list?) would be more pressing than that.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post October 3rd, 2013, 3:40 am

I cannot answer in the form of a poll response. For me some things need clarification and importance hinges on its implementation. Sorry for a long post, but the question poses many questions.

A: User Reviews (Can only vote if own the game)
Not quite sure what is refered to in voting and how it connects to user reviews. Best educated assumption I could make is users having the capacity to vote on the quality of written reviews. I think no one should have greater relevance in expressing an opinion on the validity of someones opinion. Also on the mechanical end of it putting a limit on voting related to owning the game seems quite illogical. Its something that sounds good on paper but isnt in practical application. You block people from voting based on if they own it under the idea if they do not own it, is it appropriate for them to judge. However that all collapses when you understand that the nature of the industry and this specific market, that multiple digital distributors resell many of the same products. Just because someone does not own a title on IGS does not exactly mean they do not own it elsewhere. Also on the flip, Ownership does not by default automatically confer experience. How many of us have "backlogs"? How deep are those backlogs? Many people buy games when they are on sale with full intention of not immediately playing them?

The intended effect might have good intentions, but the practical application can in undesirable ways. Would you want to potentially give more weight to the scribblings of someone who you can only assume they have experience with what they are discussing than to the person who does have personal experience on the reasoning and problem solving skill of computers? There is potential dependent on the specifics of implementation to effectively muffle the most desirable voice whilst amplifying the least desirable one.

B:Allow Free Games in Store
How do you define "Free games"? Are we talking abandonware games? Games developed not for profit? Or does free games mean things like Free to play, Freemium, unlockable demos etc? If the site wants to be a repository for truly freeware games then should there really even be a question? That should be decided based on if it is worth it to the company the expenditure of resources it would create. Otherwise its a prospect with no downside.However F2P is quite the opposite as it is a prospect with really no positive aspects.

First and foremost focus should be on expanding capacity. Things that expand what the site does, makes operation easier for customers should come first. The easier you make things for your customer, the more likely they are to peruse what you are selling. Easier for customer, More profitable for merchant.

Order Of Priority.
more payment options
Wishlist / Save game for later
DRM Free icon - (Shouldnt they all be DRM freed?)
(User Reviews)(averaged position place holder)
Steam Key Icon (not personally, but it is something that improves site function and the ability for customers to make better informed choices)
Free games (Free ware or F2p. I love free just as much as anyone, but extras should never come before or at the expense of primary features and functionality.)

On "User reviews" I would put it at # 4 of importance if it is simply the ability for users to write and have access to users reviews. More tools, better decisions. However if it must be implemented with ranking of validity tacked onto it, It kills the objectivity and usefulness of any system of reviews and then it drops the importance to well below the bottom of the list.

That would be my 2cp, at least.

Edit: Wishlist. Who doesnt love Save functionality? However what I would really see is someone be the first to create an effective "tracking" system that does a better job of notifying when price drops & sales occur on tracked products than what currently exists out there. If I "save" something for later, I want to know in short order of every price drop and sale, regardless of how deep its discounting. With both in play very important and useful resource. Without it, not so much.

Also, to offer one suggestion that might be worth considering, if we know greater information usually leads to more informed choices that make things like user reviews useful tools, then perhaps also utilize, even if very basic, heuristics to create amazon/hulu/netflix-esque "recommended for you" content. Even something really basic would easily sate the improvement of end user functionality. Then as the site and available catalog grows with time, so too can the complexity of the heuristic algorithms to make more precise suggestions.
Last edited by viroodiem on October 3rd, 2013, 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post October 3rd, 2013, 3:40 am

Post by Toyotame » Today, 1:20 am

Again, same can be said for any country and it's national plaything.
Germans and theDutch eg wit their online banking, Germans and the French w cheque payments etc etc.
Add all or none of the localized ones IMO. There's not enough sales to validate it. Not to mention the
disputed reliability of most payment methods not directly linked to either a bank or credit card account.

I'm missing a big must-have in my eyes. Widgets. Give the devs an option to put a widget of IGS on their
website leading directly to their game. Humble, Steam, GMG, Amazon, Desura, ShinyLoot(!) etc all do it
already. It creates traffic and a potentially big boost in sales. It doesn't need to be like the Humble 'Store'
Widgets, just the IGS logo ('available @') containing a hyperlinks basically..

Not even 3 out of 10 people I asked (devs and consumers alike) that IGS even has a Store. Get the name
out there and you'll likely attract attention of devs, publishers and consumers.
Even if they don't buy anything it's good marketing. Become more of a household name.

Post October 3rd, 2013, 3:49 am

Post by viroodiem » 2 minutes ago

Think it was meant as a voting scale, like Desura has e.g.
Voters must own the game to be able to vote and can rate from say 1-5.
NO! To down-upvotes of comments I agree, but don't think that was meant.

Free games I consider again just like Desura offers. They offer 'just free' games
as in devs that offer it for free but also sometimes have a 100% off sale. It's up
to the devs to decide. (Freedom Friday is a fairly new thing at Desura eg).

Demos I'd suggest keeping on the dev site with a link via icon or whatever.
Not sure it's worth the big expense to host a duplicate yourself for all these smaller
title (perhaps add a free 10-20MB for devs to use but not bigger files)

Not f2p as account-based services of 3rd paries is not something you'd even
should be wanting (as a small store) for all the hassle and grief at NO gain.

Abadonware has a nasty ring to it but there's great things that basically just went open-source
because the devs cannot continue it. That wouldn't be that bad to have a section for but don't think
it's worth it.

Post October 3rd, 2013, 7:03 am

All of the features considered are cool, but I voted for the wishlist. Specially if it can warn you when an item on the wishlist gets on sale.

Post October 10th, 2013, 7:33 am

Ok everyone who voted for greenlight move your votes to the next important thing :roll:

Post October 10th, 2013, 11:28 am

viroodiem wrote:

A lot of people assume all IGS releases are DRM-Free. The reason the icon would be useful is because they're not. Admittedly, people who care about that should be looking all the way down the bottom of the description to check, but it isn't very obvious.

Post October 12th, 2013, 10:57 pm

Anamnesis wrote:
viroodiem wrote:

A lot of people assume all IGS releases are DRM-Free. The reason the icon would be useful is because they're not. Admittedly, people who care about that should be looking all the way down the bottom of the description to check, but it isn't very obvious.

Even if you know where to look, you still have to go onto the page to see whether it's DRM-free or not. If they put the icon in the game list then I know to disregard games without a DRM-free logo when just browsing the store. Even better would be if they also added DRM-free to the 'platform' list for filtering.

Post October 12th, 2013, 11:24 pm

SirPrimalform wrote:
Even better would be if they also added DRM-free to the 'platform' list for filtering.

This is a great idea, +1.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post October 13th, 2013, 5:18 am

One of the glaring omissions for me was the omission of a countdown timer for time remaining on a sale.

Post October 13th, 2013, 5:30 am

johnki wrote:
One of the glaring omissions for me was the omission of a countdown timer for time remaining on a sale.

This would be a great addition.

Post October 13th, 2013, 5:52 am

Post by Zorder » 18 minutes ago

johnki wrote:

This would be a great addition.

That was actually bugging me as well.
I was scrounging for small change thinking I'd just be able to get Dark Scavenger.
Checked back and lo-and-behold it wasn't on sale any longer (don't recall it being in the not-on-Steam-thing).

Some games that were actually on the not-on-Steam-sale were at regular price @ IGS before the sale ended
at either the special website/Humble as well but that's another matter :P

Post October 13th, 2013, 10:41 am

I also vote for the sale countdown timer :)

Next

Return to Store