Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions Assault Android Cactus

Assault Android Cactus

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Would you like to see this game featured on IGS?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Maybe
No votes

Total votes : 8

Post September 22nd, 2013, 1:06 am

Title: Assault Android Cactus
Developer: Witch Beam
PC, Mac, Linux, $14.99 on Steam
**There is a DRM-free option here, through the Humble Store. You also get a Steam key**
---
phpBB [video]

Assault Android Cactus is a twin stick shoot 'em up with an emphasis on high pressure and stylish action. Expect screens full of enemies, buckets of bullets and high scoring combo chains!

Take on the role of Cactus, an enthusiastic police android, who responds to a stranded space freighter only to discover it under siege by its malfunctioning robot workers. Cut off from the outside and in over her head, Cactus and the androids she recruits along the way battle through the crippled Genki Star to reach the brain of the ship and put things right before it's too late.

- Multiple Playable Characters - Each android has a unique weapon set and play style, experiment to find which android suits you best.
- Dynamic Levels - From lights out to shifting walls to giant flamethrowers, there are surprises on board the Genki Star that will keep you on your toes.
- Overwhelming Odds - Push back against hordes of robots with quick reactions and clever weapon tactics.
- Giant Robot Bosses - Challenge the guardian of each deck as they unleash bullet hell and stage covering special attacks.
- Local Co-Op Play - Join in with two, three or four players and experience escalating chaos. Supports Keyboard/Mouse and Gamepad configurations.

Last edited by Bronxsta on September 22nd, 2013, 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post September 22nd, 2013, 1:08 am

Been drooling over this one since I first found it on Greenlight a while back. Definitely something I would have a blast playing. Not 100% sure about the character designs, but that's something easily ignored when you look at that beautiful, glorious gameplay.

This game has also been getting some media attention. I think this could be an extremely successful feature here. This one is going near the top of my 'should feature' list.

Sign me up!
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post September 22nd, 2013, 1:13 am

And don't forget it's coming to PS4, Vita, and Wii U, so that's probably another reason for the attention.

My impressions:
Dual stick shooters and bullet hell mechanics come together in Assault Android Cactus, recently released on Steam. Look beyond Assault's colorful veneer and you'll find a frantic shooter with style to spare.

You can tackle Assault Android Cactus' mechanic hordes alone or with three others and while the extra firepower is helpful and adds to the onscreen chaos, it's not necessary to succeed. Assault plays just fine as a single player game, allowing you to choose from several different characters, each with their own unique weapons. From common firearms like assault rifles to shotguns to more exotic weaponry such as plasma field generator and a cannonball launcher, weapons are varied and feel powerful.

Besides weaponry, power ups and battery energy pick-ups spawn throughout the arena, granting you drone helpers or increased maneuverability. And you'll need all the help you can get, as enemies and bullets flood the screen from every angle. But Assault Android Cactus's standout features - besides the intense action - are its visuals and animations. Levels shift and change at moment's notice, enemies skitter towards you, turrets emerge as bullets and missiles fly everywhere...all with zero performance issues even on older computers.
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post September 22nd, 2013, 1:15 am

I guess the only concern I could see pop up is I don't know if they have a DRM-free version (maybe someone can clarify that). Either way, I'm in.

Post September 22nd, 2013, 5:58 am

Having played Assault Android Cactus and not being a hardcore fan of top down twin stick shooters I can safely say that this one does a great job at keeping you hooked. The battery mechanic really adds a "tension mechanic", per say. The opportunity of choosing different characters with different loadouts really adds to the variety of the shooting. Another thing I really like is the way the maps shift, I can't remember if it's random or if it's scripted but eitherways I think even if it is scripted it still adds abit of variety on the first playthroughs while you still don't know "what" the map will become. I'd love to see it here but I'm worried it might not have a DRM-Free version.

Post September 22nd, 2013, 4:13 pm

Hello, I'm the developer's brother and found this thread on google. I can confirm it's DRM free.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=188

Post September 22nd, 2013, 4:25 pm

Another awesome GIF

Post September 22nd, 2013, 4:27 pm

PlayerReview wrote:
I guess the only concern I could see pop up is I don't know if they have a DRM-free version (maybe someone can clarify that). Either way, I'm in.

DRM-free option here:
http://www.assaultandroidcactus.com/p/buy-cactus.html

Return to Game Suggestions