Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions Volgarr the Viking

Volgarr the Viking

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Would you like to see this game featured on IGS?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 15

Post August 29th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Title: Volgarr the Viking
Developer: Crazy Viking Studios
11.99, PC, Steam page
Releasing September 13th

phpBB [video]

Remember when games were tough? Return to the Golden Age of arcades with an all-NEW hardcore action experience that pulls no punches. Volgarr the Viking possesses all the hallmarks of the true classics - simple controls, high challenge, and meticulous design - combined with hand-made pixel animation, an epic soundtrack, and buckets of blood. Flex your gaming muscles and step into the arena with Volgarr the Viking. We dare you.

- Classic hardcore arcade action!
- Seven worlds to explore across 30+ maps
- 40+ unique traps and enemies, including screen-filling bosses
- Thousands of frames of handcrafted pixel animation
- Orchestrated soundtrack
- Meticulous control design with full customization
- Dinput and Xinput support for controllers
- Multiple paths through the game and multiple endings

Last edited by Bronxsta on August 29th, 2013, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post August 29th, 2013, 4:46 pm

Dat gif, dang! Absolutely yes from me!

Post August 29th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Zorder wrote:
Dat gif, dang! Absolutely yes from me!

Added a poll
And yup, that was my same reaction I add. Love how smooth the animation is.
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post September 9th, 2013, 6:06 pm

If anyone's interested in buying the game this week, you'll like this:

https://twitter.com/VOLGARR/status/376769852129558529
11.99 retail with 9.99 launch sale
Edit: Asked on Twitter, this launch price is only on Steam, not the dev's site

Post September 14th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Got this today, will post impressions later

Post September 15th, 2013, 2:50 am

By the power of Thor's hammer- YES PLS!

Post September 15th, 2013, 7:43 pm

My impressions:
I was hesitant to get this but the great user impressions and reviews convinced me. And I am not disappointed. The retro games that inspired Volgarr may be before my time, but as a fan of Dark Souls and brutal platformers, I feel right at home

The controls are tight and responsive and the platforming and level design is tough but never feels unfair. I've played with both a keyboard and controller and both work equally well. In fact, I was surprised that I prefer using the keyboard. The combat is the highlight for me though. I haven't felt so satisfied with combat in a game since well...Dark Souls. Every enemy must be taken seriously because every hit is dangerous. The smooth controls and animations combine to make you feel like a Viking badass in every encounter. Combat is no button mashing affair; button mashing will only get you killed faster. Instead every fight is a combination of timing, reflexes, and split-second reactions.

You only have a handful of attacks but each is useful and I never felt like I needed more. Do you have enough time to charge your spear to skewer that group of enemies? Or is it smarter to dpdge behind them and gain some breathing room. Timing your attacks to avoid getting hit yourself and recognizing the strengths of each enemy and adapting according also enhances the combat. What equipment you have or don'y have also affects how you fight. The blue steel shield allows you to blow infinite attacks, but without a shield or just a wooden shield, you'll need to dodge more and stay on the move

Each level is varied as are the enemies and there's quite a bit of replay value. Six worlds to play through, with alternate levels to play if you don't die as much and a seventh world that is only unlocked for most skilled of players. Even better, you can activate a speedrun mode if you want to test your skills in that way

Post September 16th, 2013, 4:36 am

Thx for your insight Bronxsta, made me want this even more but i'll wait for some promo since i'm a cheap ass gamer ;)

Post September 26th, 2013, 12:47 pm

This game looks pretty amazing. Especially since I loved Rastan and used to play that on an old arcade cabinet as a kid.

Return to Game Suggestions