Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions Neverending Nightmares

Neverending Nightmares

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Would you like to see this game featured on IGS?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes : 7

Post August 27th, 2013, 7:37 pm

phpBB [video]

Title: Neverending Nightmares
Developer: Matt Gilgenbach
Platforms: PC, Mac, Linux, Ouya
Greenlight
Kickstarter

I first learned of the upcoming Neverending Nightmares from a compelling Polygon article about its developer Matt Gilgenbach and his struggles as an indie developer and with obsessive-compulsive disorder. His life-long struggle lead him to pursue the deeply personal, disturbing psychological horror game Neverending Nightmares.

Inspired by games like Silent Hill and Amnesia, Neverending Nightmares revolves a protagonist trapped in a cycle of nightmares where grotesque hallucinations and creatures terrorize the player. The story is built around branching narratives and multiple plauthroughs; your actions result in different nightmares and different endings.

Stealth and exploration are the game's key mechanics. Your character is weak and enemies are unable to be hurt. Hiding and fleeing are your only options. Neverending Nightmares sports a striking 2D art style, in which dynamic lighting, shading effects, and the contrasting use of color give the game an eerie unsettling look.
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post August 27th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Looks kind of creepy. Digging the monochromatic colours. Not sure if it's my thing but +1 anyway.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post August 27th, 2013, 8:11 pm

GnomeSlice wrote:
Looks kind of creepy. Digging the monochromatic colours. Not sure if it's my thing but +1 anyway.

The demo is super creepy.
The demo. which has you exploring a mansion's halls at night, shows great promise; a sense of dread and tension is quickly established and maintained throughout and the slow pace only adds to that tension. The art style is particularly effective at setting an unsettling and disorienting tone.

And really, I urge all of you to read that article if you haven't already. As indie gamers, it's exciting to see these underdog games succeed but the flip side is just as compelling. Matt's story is fascinating and depressing but man, am I rooting for him and this game to be a success.
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Return to Game Suggestions