Board index IndieGameStand Featured Game Deals Pushcat [Aug 4-7]

Pushcat [Aug 4-7]

Official threads for IndieGameStand's 4-day game deals

Post August 4th, 2013, 12:07 am

"Pushcat is a retro-styled arcade game that combines classic 80s dig-and-push mechanics with elements of a Match 3 resulting in an original, fast-paced mix of puzzle and action gameplay. It features pixel art by Army of Trolls, a retro ragtime soundtrack, old-school game design and over 60 procedurally generated levels."

Beat the average and get some exclusive desktop wallpapers!

Platforms: Windows, Mac
Distribution: DRM-Free, Desura

If you enjoy Pushcat, please support the game on Steam's Greenlight Service!

phpBB [video]
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post August 4th, 2013, 12:16 am

No soundtrack? Noooooooooooo...

I'm not particularly one to use game wallpapers on my desktop, but it's interesting that they are unique to IGS. I'll have to give this a run and report back how it plays. Looks like a mix of puzzle and arcade.

Post August 4th, 2013, 12:22 pm

This game is on Steam Greenlight! Why don't you add the widget so that people will vote for it?

Post August 4th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Well, I've given it some time, and I have to say: I really, really like Pushcat. The premise is quite simple: push around some blocks and match three to make some silver.

I can't quite explain why, but playing the game is a delightful experience. In a time when most games are pushing to be brutally hard or a 40-hour experience, games that deliver the arcade feel are few and far between. I know I'm dating myself by even admitting to know what an arcade feels like, so there may be a bit of nostalgia going on.

However, I would argue that a simple, straight-forward premise can make for a wonderful experience, regardless of nostalgia. Pushcat is a surprisingly pleasant experience that I haven't gotten out of any other game in the past year, and I would recommend it to anyone! The entire package (theme, music, and gameplay) are well designed and integrated with each other to produce a game that I suspect I will be revisiting many times. Thankfully, certain puzzles have randomized elements that keep solutions from being scripted.

Hooray, for a surprise favorite! Well done, IGS!

Post August 5th, 2013, 5:21 pm

I watched the trailer, and the music is delightful. The game looks pretty arcade-y and nice retro fun if you're into that. The animations for when the cat gets blown up has a great visual style. Surprised there isn't more chatter on this one.

Post August 5th, 2013, 5:25 pm

dinre wrote:
I can't quite explain why, but playing the game is a delightful experience. In a time when most games are pushing to be brutally hard or a 40-hour experience, games that deliver the arcade feel are few and far between. I know I'm dating myself by even admitting to know what an arcade feels like, so there may be a bit of nostalgia going on.

I know exactly what you mean! There is just something about this game that makes it a joy to play. I love it!
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Return to Featured Game Deals