Board index Gaming Indie Games [Current] Indie Bundles

[Current] Indie Bundles

Talk about all things indie gaming here

Post March 19th, 2013, 2:26 pm

So I thought I'd start a thread where we can discuss all of the various indie bundles out there. These bundles have been popping up all over the place since the Humble Bundle's initial outlandish success. So now you can have your pick of the litter, so to speak.

To kick things off, BundleStars has just launched the Bundle #5: Indie Mashup bundle, featuring games from a ton of different genres (including the awesome-looking Crash Time 2).

In addition, Bundle-in-a-Box has finally launched their next bundle, the Cerebral Bundle. It features some odd and wonderful games; of particular interest to me is J.U.L.I.A. which has my kind of Sci-Fi written all over it.

What do you guys think of these two?
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post March 19th, 2013, 4:33 pm

imo, all deals suck right now... they have all been going downhill - not sure why - but, at least i have IndieGameStand to quench my indie thirst every four days.

Edit: I have to admit, i did pick up the new bundlestars, despite having beat Still Life about 40 years ago when it was released... seriously, they must have needed an archaeologist to find that game and comb the dirt off of it for sale.

Post March 19th, 2013, 4:51 pm

I don't think so. Humble Bundle starts now the weekly sale.
This week Bastion is on sale. It's an instabuy because I missed it in the Humble Bundle... but I wanted the game soooo long... awesome!

Post March 19th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Groupees 'Build a Bundle 5' starts tomorrow: http://groupees.com/bab5
Their bundles are pretty decent sometimes. Picked up the Wadjet Eye bundle from them last week, which was awesome since I was still missing a couple of those.

The weekly Humble Weekly Sale is looking promising though: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
Picking up a couple of copies of Bastion for friends and such.
"Bigfoot is blurry..."

Post March 19th, 2013, 6:05 pm

I'm sure many of you know the best place around for tracking bundles: Steam's Indie Bundle Tracker group. Alternatively, there's also the Epic Bundle webpage.

The rest of the unmentioned current bundles (that I'm aware of) are: the Free Bundle #4, Indie Royale's The Thoughtful Bundle, the Name Your Own Price Bundle and indiebundle.org's The Point and Click DARK Bundle.

Post March 19th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Daedalian wrote:
The weekly Humble Weekly Sale is looking promising though: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
Picking up a couple of copies of Bastion for friends and such.

Talking of the Humble Weekly I found the top contributor list quite interesting:
1.@IndieGameStand $151.00

Supporting the same concept. I like it :)

Post March 19th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Pubaer wrote:
Daedalian wrote:
Talking of the Humble Weekly I found the top contributor list quite interesting:
1.@IndieGameStand $151.00

Supporting the same concept. I like it :)

That, and it links to igs' twitter... so, it is a def win-win! With the great amount of visitors, even just for marketing, it is a good return on investment (and everybody really does benefit).

Post March 20th, 2013, 5:00 pm

There's a video up on the Groupees Build A Bundle 5 page, now. According to said video, these will be the games to choose from:

Storm in a Teacup
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee & Abe's Exodus
Marvin's Mittens
Manhunter (I believe this is the right link)
Dawnstar
Nethergate: Resurrection
Dawning
Lume
Spellforce: Platinum

Of those, I only own the Oddworld games. I haven't even played any of the others, but I have heard of most of them. Can anyone recommend any of these games? Storm in a Teacup, Marvin's Mittens, Dawnstar, and Lume all look pretty interesting to me.
"Bigfoot is blurry..."

Post March 20th, 2013, 6:07 pm

I can only speak for Dawning since it's the only one I've played, albeit not very much. It's a minimalistic (both graphically and in gameplay) adventure with a horror touch. Totally recommended, specially when you can get it for just $1 at Indievania, or for a little more at Desura.

Post March 22nd, 2013, 5:41 pm

Daedalian wrote:
There's a video up on the Groupees Build A Bundle 5 page, now. According to said video, these will be the games to choose from:

Storm in a Teacup
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee & Abe's Exodus
Marvin's Mittens
Manhunter (I believe this is the right link)
Dawnstar
Nethergate: Resurrection
Dawning
Lume
Spellforce: Platinum

Of those, I only own the Oddworld games. I haven't even played any of the others, but I have heard of most of them. Can anyone recommend any of these games? Storm in a Teacup, Marvin's Mittens, Dawnstar, and Lume all look pretty interesting to me.

totally recommend this bundle.

Post March 22nd, 2013, 8:00 pm

My thoughts on the current offerings...

Bundle in a Box Cerebral is selling very poorly. Their best games, J.U.L.I.A. and Congition chapter 1 have recently been in other bundles, so that's not helping. The bundle launched with a high BTA price which has been slow to come down as well which also likely slowed things down. Particularly since BiaB traditionally was one of the less expensive bundles (BTA on the last one was a little over $2). The bonus unlocks are mostly uninteresting as well, and in many cases are free to download already on the web. What's there is good though, Vampires, Dedale, Reversion, etc. But they're somewhat unknown games and don't seem to be bringing in sales. I bought it for Vampires, Reversion and I Get This Call Every Day.

Bundlestars is also being hurt by having games that were already in bundles. Half their lineup was also in the cheap Gala Store mini bundles this week. Still Life and Still Life 2 still get interest though, as I often hear people mentioning they would like them. If I have one complaint about Bundlestars is it seems like it takes forever for them to reveal their mystery unlock games. I bought this one for Crash Time II, Vigil and StarDrone.

Indie Royale Thoughtful is also suffering from some repeat-itis. Though IMO Cognition chapter 2 is worth the price of the bundle all by itself. AaaAAaaAa is fun in small doses (30 mins or so), pity they didn't include the updated one instead. The bonus game Toy Cars they added looks fun. I also bought this, for Cognition and AaaAAaaAa.

Indie Gala Dwarves bundle is just a train wreck. Including the multiplayer only game Gettysburg Armored Warfare is downright insulting. The game is broken and buggy, and the publisher has discontinued it and shut down the game servers. This game shouldn't even be still available for sale on Steam, much less in a bundle. What's next, Starvoid? The rest of the bundle is sort of a mixed bag. The main BTA draw is "A Game of Dwarves" which is a good game, but may lead to some upset buyers as it does not work on XP and cannot be made to work on XP (it's a problem with the Windows kernel). Also the version on Gun Metal on GamersGate is apparently also built wrong, so that the CD check is not properly disabled. The only fix (according to the user review comments on GamersGate) is to pirate a CD image and mount it or find a nocd crack. It almost seems like this bundle was put together by someone who doesn't know anything about games or do any research. They just shoveled in any games that agreed to participate. I haven't bought this one, though Nosferatu and Street Racing Syndicate do look interesting. Will probably go $1 tier on this one for those two games, depends on what the two bonus unlocks end up being on the BTA tier.

Finally there's the Groupees Build a Bundle 5. Good games, good bonuses. Ala carte so you don't have to buy any duplicates. And the more you buy the less per game it is. The Oddworld games seem to be bringing in a lot of interest as well, which is cool as those are great games. This is easily the best bundle running right now. Bought

Post March 22nd, 2013, 8:12 pm

oogla wrote:
Indie Gala Dwarves bundle is just a train wreck. Including the multiplayer only game Gettysburg Armored Warfare is downright insulting. The game is broken and buggy, and the publisher has discontinued it and shut down the game servers. This game shouldn't even be still available for sale on Steam, much less in a bundle. What's next, Starvoid? The rest of the bundle is sort of a mixed bag. The main BTA draw is "A Game of Dwarves" which is a good game, but may lead to some upset buyers as it does not work on XP and cannot be made to work on XP (it's a problem with the Windows kernel). Also the version on Gun Metal on GamersGate is apparently also built wrong, so that the CD check is not properly disabled. The only fix (according to the user review comments on GamersGate) is to pirate a CD image and mount it or find a nocd crack. It almost seems like this bundle was put together by someone who doesn't know anything about games or do any research. They just shoveled in any games that agreed to participate. I haven't bought this one, though Nosferatu and Street Racing Syndicate do look interesting. Will probably go $1 tier on this one for those two games, depends on what the two bonus unlocks end up being on the BTA tier.

You forgot about Warlock, which is a very good game. Its like civ but fantasy and abit lighter. For $5 its kind of worth it for those too if you are interested in them, but thats it really, but only get it if you know that you would buy the 2 games in a steam sale for $5 each kinda thing. There are better games out there than them.

Post March 23rd, 2013, 9:58 am

Yeah, current bundle offering is relativey bleak...
Cognition 2? Oh come on, considering how Cognition 1 sells..i mean they put this game everywhere, IGS, IR, BIAB, and even more. We can expect that Cognition 2 will be virtually available everywhere soon too.
Build A Bundle suffers from "too much music in bonuses" - peoples who go for games mostly ignore music. I cannot say also that it best BAB i ever seen but..its best bundle whom currently running.

Post April 2nd, 2013, 2:17 pm

holy shit you guys, another great short groupees is coming up in about half a day, this time it's retro themed..

Forceline - sorta sword and soldiers-esque, but dunno.. might be a sleeper hit.
DeadPixels - fantastic "8 bit zombie survival sim" with some fun gameplay. It has out of the box controller support.
8-bit Commando - looks to be a finely crafted homage to NES era Contra style games.
Call Center Chaos - The FULL version of the amazing call-center management sim. I've already lost countless hours to the Indiegala build the devs put out a while ago. Fantastically addictive gameplay.
Bleed - looks to be a beautiful run and gun platformer. Every gameplay video I've seen of this game makes my jaw drop @ the gorgeousness of the environments.
ANODYNE - Yeah, that ANODYNE.. What I gather is it's like if Link's Awakening and Silent Hill had a baby and it was released on the SNES.

Good god, I'm effing pumped for this bundle.

forgot to include the price. $3 for EVERYTHING, no upper or lower tiers, just one price for everything.

Last edited by cst003 on April 2nd, 2013, 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Know all of your enemies
We know who all of our enemies are
steam : twitch : desura
Way to plant, Ann!

Post April 2nd, 2013, 2:20 pm

Groupees retro bundle will rock! Soo awesome! AWESOME! :D

Post April 2nd, 2013, 2:43 pm

You guys made me so happy T-T, this is truly gna help out my blog
http://lexietindiegamerevbdblog.com/: Indie Game Review Blog. My goal is to help indie games get the recognition they deserve, and helping gamers get exposed to awesome indie games. I also host giveaways from time to time :)

Post April 2nd, 2013, 3:45 pm

Are we the only bundle/PWYW/deal site with a forum?

Post April 2nd, 2013, 4:04 pm

mgnade wrote:

More or less yes. Groupees have chat, some have blog with no comment moderation, other prefer social media or nothing.

Post April 2nd, 2013, 5:23 pm

Well, there is Desura but this forum is the only place where i can actually see some meaningful discussions.

Post April 2nd, 2013, 7:00 pm

mgnade wrote:

from what I can gather, yup IGS is the only with a forum. like Toyotame said, Groupees has a chat on all their bundle pages, but the chats are not all "synced" together so each bundle they do has its own chatroom. I lurk out in this SPUF simply because it seems to have the most "up to date" conversation about indie bundles. I've even seen IGS mentioned there a couple times! [yaaaay exposure!]
Know all of your enemies
We know who all of our enemies are
steam : twitch : desura
Way to plant, Ann!

Next

Return to Indie Games