Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions Quadsmash

Quadsmash

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Want to see it on IndieGameStand?

Yes please!
60%
Mmm... yes.
20%
Still yes.
No votes
No, sorry.
20%

Total votes : 5

Post March 6th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Game: Quadsmash
Developer: Creative Patterns
Platforms: Windows, Xbox 360

I can't believe I haven't suggested this already.
QuadSmash is a frantic arcade game with a strong multiplayer orientation. Players control crazy-fast vehicles battling against each other in epic matchups. Your vehicle can ride upside down and emit shockwaves, it has an energy grapple and a powerful dash to smash the ground. The main game mode, and the most enjoyable, is called “Smashball”. It’s a ball game in which each team must score in the opponent's goal. There is also a Deathmatch mode (actually a “last one standing”) for more destruction-oriented games. QuadSmash also features a full single-player campaign.

Quadsmash is a physics platformer originally released on the Xbox 360 Indie Games Channel. I picked it up a year or two ago for 400 points ($5), and it's easily my most played Xbox indie game.

The game has great, high quality art and music, and the platforming gameplay in the single-player campaign is surprisingly deep. There are a couple of neat mechanics (like the grapple beam), but what makes them stand out is that they can be used in multiple ways, for different things.

The single-player game mode consists of 10 progressively challenging stages which should keep you occupied for a couple of hours; despite the length, in my opinion the game is totally worth the $5 you'll pay for it on XBOX just for the solo mode. However, that's not where this game really shines.

This is hands-down the best multiplayer you can get for under $10. I've only had the opportunity to play with one other person at a time, but we've sunk hours and hours into the three multiplayer game modes. I can't really describe how awesome it is in text; you'll just have to check out the demo and see for yourself. The multiplayer more than justifies the $8.22 price tag for the PC release, provided you have at least one other person to play it with.

If the video below doesn't play properly, you can also find it here

phpBB [video]
Last edited by GnomeSlice on April 2nd, 2013, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post March 13th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Man, if you're going to downvote, you could at least explain why...

Post March 13th, 2013, 4:39 pm

I played the demo of this ages ago. I was quite fun, but I was/am kinda burnt on platformers, even though its not your usual platformer. That being said, not sure I could say no if it was on the front page here, saying "Buy ME!"

I voted yes btw

Post March 13th, 2013, 4:43 pm

I'd buy it again on the PC just for the upcoming online multiplayer support. Sweet.

Post March 14th, 2013, 8:46 pm

GnomeSlice wrote:
Man, if you're going to downvote, you could at least explain why...

I was the first one to downvote this game and, since you ask, I'm gonna explain why.

For more than 10 years I've run all of my computers exclusively on Linux and intend to do so in the foreseeable future. Therefore, I want IGS to feature games compatible with my OS of choice. From this merely practical point of view, I will downvote any suggested game that doesn't fulfill this simple requirement, no more, no less.

From a more ideological standpoint, I don't feel obliged to support anyone who doesn't support me on the first place. The world is full of indie developers and I want to reward those who care about multiplatform support.

Post March 14th, 2013, 8:57 pm

muntdefems wrote:
From a more ideological standpoint, I don't feel obliged to support anyone who doesn't support me on the first place. The world is full of indie developers and I want to reward those who care about multiplatform support.

I don't run Linux, but I think your argument is perfectly stated. Kudos on standing up for Linux and for having integrity!

Post March 14th, 2013, 8:58 pm

muntdefems wrote:

Yeah, that makes sense. I always forget about Linux, since I run Windows everywhere. No problem!

Post March 14th, 2013, 9:32 pm

muntdefems wrote:

At least Linux community have Humble Bundle, through port is not always high quality.

Post March 15th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Thanks for you understanding, guys. Rest assured I will continue with my particular crusade, but I just don't wanna be a pain in the ass and start complaining about lack of Linux support on every suggested game thread. :mrgreen:

Toyotame wrote:
muntdefems wrote:

At least Linux community have Humble Bundle, through port is not always high quality.

You're totally right on both things. HIB was the primary reason I got back to the gaming world, but recently I think they've tried to rush some bundles, resulting on unpolished (when not totally buggy) Linux ports.
Plus, with the advent of the Linux Steam client and the steady release of Linux titles on this platform (although I always prefer DRM-free games), I think this clearly signals the beginning of a true Golden Age of Linux Gaming. :D

Post March 30th, 2014, 3:54 pm

I messaged one of the developers on Desura because it seems like he's still sort of active there, and this is what I got back:
Hi,
Glad to hear you enjoyed QuadSmash :). Sadly the company were we developed QuadSmash has closed down in September of 2011 and I don't own the rights so I'm afraid the game is in some sort of legal limbo. Some day I hope to develop a spiritual successor!

:cry:

Return to Game Suggestions