Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions Gunscape

Gunscape

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Post March 9th, 2014, 5:52 am

Game: Gunscape - FPS Creation Kit
Platform: Win, Mac, Linux
Devolper: Blowfish Studios
Other links: Steam Greenlight, Kickstarter, Playable alpha download

What is Gunscape?

What makes Gunscape different from typical FPS games is that the players create the gameplay. Inspired by the first-person shooters of the past that we loved, we're taking all the most memorable elements and putting them in a toolkit to be used and combined however you want. At its heart, Gunscape is a shooter sandbox where you can play in your own custom world. It's a game that lets you go wild with your creativity in a pumping action FPS sandbox! Gunscape does this by providing easy-to-use tools based on a block-placement interface everybody's already familiar with to create single-player campaigns, co-op maps and multiplayer arenas and the functionality to share your creations with your friends. Don't like building stuff and just want to blast your way through hordes of monsters or duel with other players? Maps can also be shared, played and voted on by the whole world, so you'll always have new levels at your fingertips!

World Building

The game is organised into themes taken from the entire genre of FPS games, from the early classics to the modern triple-A stealth and war shooters. Each theme set contains unique world building blocks, player models, enemies (and bosses!), music tracks, skyboxes, special level elements (like traps and teleporters) and--of course--GUNS (plus bombs, bats, swords, flamethrowers, chainsaws, rocket launchers and much, much more. 38 weapons planned so far!).

Screenshot 01 (Gameplay):

Screenshot 02 (Map editor):

Youtube video:
phpBB [video]

I was off put by the graphics initially but after listening to the old school groovy music on kickstarter and messing around with the level editor on the alpha I started to love it. They basically have a mixture of different level themes that you can mix together with simple yet amazing results. In the alpha there is a Bioshock, Team fortress, Quake, Minecraft and Wolfenstein themes, with more coming. In the kickstarter you can also see dinosaurs and Total Annihilation bots. Also in the forums there are people asking for Star Wars / Star Trek themes.

Besides the themes, it seems a bit like Time Splitters meets Minecraft/Cube/Sauerbrauten meets Quake. Simple gameplay, old school yet user friendly.

Its still on alpha but updates are coming swiftly, and there are still too few people playing on the servers.

Also this is my first game suggestion on IGS, so let's hope I'm not forgetting anything! :?

Post March 9th, 2014, 6:08 pm

nullzero wrote:
Also this is my first game suggestion on IGS, so let's hope I'm not forgetting anything! :?

If you like, you can also include a poll for a centralized look at what people think of your proposal, but it's not mandatory. :)

This suggestion intrigues me. Is it a game, or a development tool? Or both?
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post March 13th, 2014, 8:58 pm

I think the game's subtitle "FPS Creation Kit" is a bit misleading, its a FPS Game, but with a really easy to use level editor, hence the creation kit part...

But searching more about it it seems that the game and player created content would be free to play, and what people would pay are the level themes to build the levels, or player skins / models. So I don't see woulkd it would be included here on IGS... Maybe it should be posted on the "promising kickstarters" thread... hmm

But anyways, I'm loving the pre-alpha demo!

Post March 14th, 2014, 2:54 am

nullzero wrote:
what people would pay are the level themes to build the levels, or player skins / models

They could throw some themes and skins into a package. BTA could be interesting too.

Post March 14th, 2014, 6:38 am

Hmm, yes. BTA could be something like those Kickstarter level bonus. Better than just a wallpaper or OST (though I'm particularly found of OSTs!)

Post April 30th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Okay, so I've been looking at this one more closely, and it does look pretty cool. Bump.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Return to Game Suggestions