Board index IndieGameStand Featured Game Deals Cluster Puck 99

Cluster Puck 99

Official threads for IndieGameStand's 4-day game deals

Post July 14th, 2014, 12:49 pm

ClusterPuck 99 is a sporty competitive sports game about sports based on athletics!

Featuring 8-player, local competitive action on your PC, Mac and Linux.

- Compete in intense 8 Player Local Co-op matches!
- Navigate through 20 dangerous maps littered with bumpers, speed boosts and spikes!
- Bash your friends to gain control of the puck and then fight your way through to your opponents goal.
- Customizable players!

Keyboard/Mouse, Playstation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One controller support.

For additional information check out - www.clusterpuck99.com - or our Wiki page - http://clusterpuck99.wikia.com/wiki/ClusterPuck_99_Wiki.

***July Update***
- AI improvement so they behave better in groups.
- Graphical error fix in team selection menu.
- "B" button and ESC button now go back a level in the pause menu.
- Added a 1 in 1000th chance to get the AI name, "49th Street".

***July Update 2***
- Added Instant Replay functionality.
- More AI improvements including goal tending
- Linux Support
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post July 15th, 2014, 11:07 am

This is a very well made game. It has great visuals, interface, audio, and a lot of polish. Feels oldschool arcade but modern at the same time. The gameplay is solid and extremely easy to learn, but it's still a skill game; you will get noticeably better with practice.

It's a good thing this game supports bots, because with local only multiplayer, many people simply won't have enough people around to really get a big game going. Teams can have up to 10 players each, but you can fill them up with AI players and any friends you happen to have on hand.

$1 is pretty damn cheap. You should get it.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post July 15th, 2014, 9:37 pm

I love how this game looks, my brother likes it a lot too. I'll be definitely buying this.

I just wish it could allow LAN multiplayer, that'd have been awesome... Only local multi is a bit poor, specially because our friends are dislocated a bit everywhere; and we don't like joysticks much, me and my brother play coop from different computers normally, so yeah I feel this a bit limited, and it's a pity, seriously... I'd be gladly buying more copies of this if a LAN option was possible, I don't mind buying it, it's just awesome, and I'm sure many others would aswell; so more multiplayer options are just good for the game and the dev's profits.. A lot of people have been suggesting it from a long now, I even opened a thread on steam greenlight, the dev is being silent about this, he's not answering neither for a yes or a not, and I can't understand why...

Post July 16th, 2014, 5:07 am

LadySky89 wrote:
we don't like joysticks much

Master PC Race FTW!

Post July 16th, 2014, 11:53 am

Hi there, dev here!

Glad you guys like our game! We have put a lot of love into it and we're ecstatic that people are enjoying it so much. SO! Let's talk multiplayer options because it's something we've been asked about before. Networked multiplayer of any sort, online or LAN, is a complex beast. Basically, the choice to add networked multiplayer boils down to a couple things: design philosophy, and network latency (lag).

The amount of development time and resources it takes to implement heavily depends on the style of game. A turn-based game, for example, is fairly trivial because network latency of like half a second is irrelevant when you're just taking turns. For a game like ClusterPuck, however, it's very fast-paced and involves a lot of interacting physics objects, so half a second of network latency just destroys the game. Latency is an unavoidable fact in network play, and it's no easy task to accommodate for it in a twitch-based indie game (just ask the devs of TowerFall or Sportsfriends!), and so we decided early on that this was going to be a local-only game.

The good part about this is that it informed our design goals, and helped us craft the game around being the best local co-op experience we could muster. Knowing that this would be a game played with friends on a couch, we could build the game such that it would enhance the social atmosphere of playing with your buds and make use of the best elements that local play brings to the table. Those intense, split-second moments where your friend makes a goal shot with 2 seconds left on the clock, and you miss the catch by mere pixels, is not only much more satisfying when you can immediately turn to your friend and scream horrible things in his or her face, but isn't really possible with 0.25 seconds of network latency.

Of course, despite this we realize that this style of play might not be the best match for every player; some people have friends who live far away, or some people might not have multiple controllers on hand, so in such cases it might just not be the game for them.

We do really appreciate you taking the time to download our game and check it out! If you have any other comments or questions for us, we would be happy to answer.

Post July 16th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Thank you a lot for the answer.
It's just too bad, I would've seen great things in this game if a LAN option was added as LAN can't lag.
Sure simulated LAN can lag but someone decides to do that on its own risk.

I hope you'll reconsider this option once the game is completely done and you'll have more available time for new stuff. I'm sure people won't just stop asking you since this game is awesome and it's a pity to renounce to a big part of it.
I'll see if I can convince my brother to play it locally, but sadly I have some doubts...

Post July 17th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Hi Terry, now the game is on Desura will you add Desura keys to our game wallets here on IGS?

Post July 21st, 2014, 1:47 pm

Hey muntdefems,

Yes! We just set that up, so you should have access to a Desura key for the game. However, if you bought the game during the sale, then you will only receive the key if you paid over a dollar for it.

Return to Featured Game Deals