Board index IndieGameStand Featured Game Deals Cube and Star [Apr 13 - 16]

Cube and Star [Apr 13 - 16]

Official threads for IndieGameStand's 4-day game deals

Post April 13th, 2014, 10:24 am

Cube and Star: An Arbitrary Love is a game about the joy of exploration - the joy of... aimless but mindful wandering.
The world is a living, breathing entity and you - bold individual that you are; spread color throughout the land.

Day breaks, grass grows, night falls, stars fall from the sky, trees shed their fruit...

And across the world other cubes like yourself are bounding around, each with a little knowledge to impart to you... if you are curious enough to listen.

As the world become more vibrant - as you lend it your own breed of charm, secrets emerge from the ground: discover ancient relics, bizarre monetary tokens and personal journal entries left by cubes long gone.

And ultimately... fill your void with strange new knowledge, flood the world with color, burn the world to ashes - and watch as an ancient civilization is reborn.

And as you wander... relax.

This is the best of all possible worlds (and all is for the best, in the best of all possible worlds).

• Explore an ever-changing, ever-bizarre world.
  • Night falls, day rises, grass grows, and the world becomes slick with rain.
  • Seek out the lost voices of the Tiny Things, unearth relics, pointlessly accumulate currency.
  • Decrypt the bizarre language of the Tiny Things.
  • Resurrect long-dead creatures.
  • Flood the world with color.... and drown the world in fire.
  • Raise strange new structures and bear witness as their occupants continue their grim calling
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post April 13th, 2014, 11:40 am

Might be a better deal to get trough indieroyale, as they offer it as part of there bundle right now.

Also, i found the gameplay a bit slow. Didn't quite get what i was supposed to do other than grinding random items with no apparent goal. Spreading colours could be interesting, but i could also find no pattern in what colour would be spawning when hitting the z, x and c buttons. It was all just too random.

Perhaps this game would work better with some more hints, or i just missed a obvious puzzle. Steam claims i spend 94 minutes at it before i gave up.

Post April 13th, 2014, 4:19 pm

I'm interested in this game, more or less, but i dont getting why there is no desura keys? it was released on Desura anyway...

Post April 13th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Toyotame wrote:
I'm interested in this game, more or less, but i dont getting why there is no desura keys? it was released on Desura anyway...

Regarding this:

Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Consortium
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

Post April 13th, 2014, 8:09 pm

I just got this from the IR bundle. I've been enjoying it, so I was thinking about buying it again for the warped edition.
What exactly does that have?

Post April 14th, 2014, 12:33 pm

letsmaybeLP92 wrote:
Toyotame wrote:

Regarding this:

I dont got that you was trying to say....

Post April 14th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Toyotame wrote:
I dont got that you was trying to say....

The developer is working on getting Desura keys for IndieGameStand. They will be here soon!
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post April 14th, 2014, 5:32 pm

eagleclaw6 wrote:
I just got this from the IR bundle. I've been enjoying it, so I was thinking about buying it again for the warped edition.
What exactly does that have?

The warped edition is the exact same game, but at start, you have the option of selecting different ways to view the game world. It's the same, but looks different. =)

Post April 14th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Desura keys available now.
Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Consortium
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

Post April 14th, 2014, 6:13 pm

GnomeSlice wrote:
The warped edition is the exact same game, but at start, you have the option of selecting different ways to view the game world. It's the same, but looks different. =)

Thanks! I was wondering the same thing.

Post April 15th, 2014, 10:50 am

About the warped version
The spherical view shown in the screenshots and the video is the "spindle" view. The normal game is more of a bird's eye view of a flat plane ("classic" view), and the "data" view is a top down look from directly overhead. I personally prefer to play the "spindle" view.

About the game
I am truly enjoying this game. Wander around, talk to other cubes and creatures, gain some abilities (secrets, secrets), and transform the world around you. It's a very melancholy, introspective experience. If you, like me, appreciate unhitching your mind from the cart and letting it graze on an open field... well, Cube & Star is one interesting field full of clover and rhubarb. Mind the rhubarb.

Post April 16th, 2014, 2:31 pm
Moo

From Steam forums: "Oh oh - and I've got another update coming up - a kind of... "Special Edition" I guess. I put it together in a knee-jerk 3 hour period for a bundle, but I'm not 100% happy with the level of polish on it just yet. So stand by for that. I've called it the "Warped Perspective Edition". It'll let you decide how you want to view the world (Spherical, Flat or... Super-flat)."

So will that be a separate game on Steam, or will everyone will be getting our BTA bonus soon? :?

Post April 16th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Moo wrote:
From Steam forums: "Oh oh - and I've got another update coming up - a kind of... "Special Edition" I guess. I put it together in a knee-jerk 3 hour period for a bundle, but I'm not 100% happy with the level of polish on it just yet. So stand by for that. I've called it the "Warped Perspective Edition". It'll let you decide how you want to view the world (Spherical, Flat or... Super-flat)."

So will that be a separate game on Steam, or will everyone will be getting our BTA bonus soon? :?

They can make it Steam special or...include in every version. There is no real point to develop new features and then never more use them.

Post April 16th, 2014, 3:46 pm

When the game starts, it looks like it is going to be a huge window but then it either is too big for my monitor or plays in fullscreen only. Is there any way to play this in windowed mode without changing the resolution? I've tried ALT+ENTER which doesn't seem to work. If the game is currently only fullscreen, it would be really nice to have a WINDOW option. If the resolution is the problem, it would be great to have the option to reset the resolution for the game only.

Post April 16th, 2014, 6:46 pm
Moo

Toyotame wrote:
They can make it Steam special or...include in every version. There is no real point to develop new features and then never more use them.
But if everyone gets the features anyway, having them as a BTA bonus is silly. Apparently GOG/Desura already get them too, so I guess everyone will.
I thought I had BTAd, but I don't see a download link for it in my wallet so I guess I messed up....

And from the steam update notes "I've also added an initial dialog to allow you to select windowed / fullscreen and a bunch of nice resolutions." so presumably the DRM version here will be updated with that too.

Post April 17th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Sooo...i have played and that i can say - i TOTALLY dont understand it. Cannot say this is bad game, but its feel like whole game process is absolutely pointless and dont have any goal. You just wander, take colors, spread colors, collect things if you want, once you collected several totems you can build some villages of "small things" and watch them grow. After some time its gettin pretty repetitive and, ugh, boring. Feels like game had some "special meanings" like secrets, nice visual effect happen regularly, but i seen all same things in other audio-visual exploration games like Proteus and they had much better result.
Overall its pretty cute abstract game, but...its OK for 1$, OK to get it in bundle, but to get for full price? sorry, i dont think so.

Post April 17th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Moo wrote:
Toyotame wrote:
But if everyone gets the features anyway, having them as a BTA bonus is silly. Apparently GOG/Desura already get them too, so I guess everyone will.
I thought I had BTAd, but I don't see a download link for it in my wallet so I guess I messed up....

And from the steam update notes "I've also added an initial dialog to allow you to select windowed / fullscreen and a bunch of nice resolutions." so presumably the DRM version here will be updated with that too.

Easy - developers, unfortunately, just dont had any special content to put in BTA. Pretty usual thing. Some try to include OST if they can, some include another games...this one decided to include upcoming builds.

Return to Featured Game Deals