Board index IndieGameStand Featured Game Deals Hero Siege [Feb 20th-23rd]

Hero Siege [Feb 20th-23rd]

Official threads for IndieGameStand's 4-day game deals

Post February 20th, 2014, 2:37 am

=> SUPPORTS GAMEPADS! <=

NOTE! 32-bit SYSTEMS might not work!

The kingdom of Tarethiel has been taken over by creatures of hell. Your mission is to cleanse the kingdom and free the citizen from the agonizing wrath of the demon child called Damien. Grab your axe, bow, gun or magic powers and start purging the Gate Keepers and their minions!

Hero Siege is a gore filled Hack N Slash game with heavy Rogue-like elements. Choose a class and start your survival journey. Find secrets, obtain items, slay hordes of different enemies and bosses.

FEATURES:
- Randomly generated levels, items, dungeons, bosses, secrets and events. Every game session you play is different!
- Over 100 unique crafted items that are either passive, usable or orbiting.
- Over 40 different enemies with the possibility to spawn as rare or elite with extra hp/damage and abilities, but dropping better loot and giving more exp!
- Over 50 Achievements to unlock!
- Many different perks to unlock!
- Customize your character!
- 3 Acts which all consist of 5 zones + lots of randomly generated dungeons!
- 3+ unlockable classes!
- 3 different difficulty levels to unlock!
- Tons of random! Start discovering all the wonderful secrets and content!

Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post February 20th, 2014, 7:13 am

I just bought the non-drm verison, because I didn't totally realise I needed to pay $1.00 for a steam key. Anyways, I bought the game and when I run the non-drm version it redirects me to the Steam store page inside of steam. Can I get a refund or just get my steam key? Did you guys even know about this? Try it yourself, the non-drm version brings you to the steam store page, you can't even play it!

Post February 20th, 2014, 7:45 am

Does this include the Android Version thats mentioned in the trailer?

Post February 20th, 2014, 10:10 am

I bought the game, my system is a 64 bit one, still i can't play the game.
I only get this message:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Mouse Event for Left Released
for object obj_button:

Cannot execute C:\Users\Windows 7\AppData\Roaming/Hero Siege/game.exe

I have bought the BTA version, but i don't use Steam, maybe that version is running? but who cares i bought it because of DRM free and this is not a DRM free game, each time you start it it connects to the web and searches for updates. Without constant internet you can't even get to the start screen...very disappointed.

Post February 20th, 2014, 3:48 pm

Looks like there is no way to customize controls, I'm already regretting this purchase...
Game looks fun thought

Post February 20th, 2014, 4:19 pm

I am having similar issues. I download it, install the game from the software, click "Play" and it proceeds to boot steam. Which having my steam profile locked into perma offline mode thanks to Steams anti consumer behavior Ill never be able to allow this to connect to steam. So how exactly am I supposed to play this ?

Post February 20th, 2014, 5:09 pm

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have emailed the developer for an answer - this has changed in the past few days - the old wrapper would download/install an up-to-date DRM free build and then launch without Steam.

Oddly enough the Mac version doesn't have the wrapper at all and is just a DRM-free direct download.

Post February 20th, 2014, 5:15 pm

Got the game this afternoon and it's working fine for me, maybe because I don't have Steam installed ?

Post February 20th, 2014, 5:24 pm

JokerJun wrote:
Got the game this afternoon and it's working fine for me, maybe because I don't have Steam installed ?

Very possible - will update with developers response when we get it.

Post February 20th, 2014, 9:17 pm

The latest Steam release wiped out everyone's save game characters. The same update broke the game so it currently cannot save any progress, so it is essentially in unintended permanent hardcore mode until that's resolved. He's also fixing people's game saves if they send them to him I believe. So I'm thinking the developer has his hands full with that right now which might affect his ability to get the DRM free version fixed too.

As for the game itself, I find it quite fun. Like most twin stick style games, it works very well with an Xbox 360 controller. I've put about 18 hours into it and don't really mind that my characters got wiped out. I'll just start them over and allocate my stat/skill points better (more speed, less defense) this time around. I do hope he gets the unable to save problem fixed quickly though.

Anyway, worth a buck for sure IMO if you didn't already pick it up in one of the multiple bundles it's been in.

Post February 20th, 2014, 11:59 pm

Disappointing that the dev would play these bait-and-switch tactics with the DRM-free version. It seems very underhanded.

OTOH, given the magnitude of the bugs Oogla describes as being introduced in the latest version - maybe it's all just a bug. Perhaps the dev didn't intend to wipe out the DRM-free version any more than he intended to wipe everyone's save games and break the saving system?

Still, it's very disconcerting to think that devs can choose to add DRM to software bought as DRM-free. Obviously the opposite has happened in the past, with DRM being patched out of many games, but this is the first time I've seen it patched *in*.

Post February 21st, 2014, 6:28 am

Just an update, it looks like they've put out a fix for the Steam version not saving games. It's saving locally instead of to the cloud, but saves are working now.

Post February 21st, 2014, 7:34 am

I am confident IGS will do what they can to make this right. I suspect its just simply a bug out of the latest version.

After attempting to run this on PC I am resigned to let it take its course and get fixed when it gets fixed for Windows version. I did try to allow steam to run (In offline mode of course) and pretty much as expected it just caused the Hero Siege program to vanish once steam was loaded into offline. It also did not attempt to even build the game directory into the steamapps directory in prep for online activation. Essentially all it is doing is like an in game html redirector as others have cited to the steam directory page online while in the client. If the client is disabled, it can effectively do nothing.

I also suspect the bug is moreso due to those who still have steam installed and the program simply doing what people and the industry seemingly are determined to do. Assume that Steam IS the default. It would make sense if the program sees Steam as a default and it detects steams presence it will go for steam first. However if it does not detect steams presence, it might not try to run via steam. Will try to temp relocate steam DIR and then reattempt it see if that provides a temp work around.

Also I am with Waschtl (to an extent) with I would really think that given that the android version is a free download anyway, that purchase of the windows version should also grant a direct .apk download for the android version . (I am personally not very fond of android software that forces you to get it via A: google store, and B: in a self extracting download rather than a straight installable program. - I like to archive what I buy and It comes in handy if you are forced to reinstall an OS when outside of internet access) So Hopefully that can also be touched on with this whole current issue.

EDIT: Confirmation- Yes, by removing the steam directory it does in fact allow the game to be booted in DRM-Free format. Its a temporary work around for those who want to play the game and not have to wait for the program to be patched to not view steam as default.

Simply find the Steam directory.
Example: "C:\Program Files\Steam"
Then "cut" the folder, then paste it into a different location (I used the desktop so that its a constant reminder that until I put it back in its proper "program files" location, the steam client itself will not operate properly.)
Then attempt to launch the game. Once you are done with the game be sure to restore the Steam DIR to its proper location.

Hope this helps, until a long term fix can be attained.

Post February 21st, 2014, 8:55 am

Unfortunately, the developer confirmed that the PC version is no longer DRM Free, saying:
I dont think its a good idea to make a DRM-Free version, its too integrated with steam.

If you think he's wrong, like I do - You can email Elias and let him know at panicartstudios[at]gmail[dot goes here]com - or by visiting http://panicartstudios.com/

In the meantime, I have unlocked Steam keys for everyone that has the game.

Post February 21st, 2014, 11:17 am

Phew, I hadn't looked at this thread so I wasn't aware that everyone else was having problems. I have however had an 'interesting' email exchange with the developer instead and yeah, he told me basically the same thing as he did mgnade.

"we only support steam for hero siege, its no longer DRM-free. steam gives us awesome cloud and big community with achievements"

"i totally forgot having the game on IGS anyway, and i've been trying to contact desura about taking the game off from there."

"also steam prevents piracy so thats the best way"

I'm not sure anyone will have much luck convincing him otherwise.

Post February 21st, 2014, 2:03 pm

I wonder how many more indie games will suddenly drop the DRM-free as soon as they're greenlighted? What a shonk!

Post February 21st, 2014, 2:15 pm

This is very disappointing news. These developers just lost a lot of cred from me. I'm all for Steam, but not to the exclusion of everything else, especially if the game was previously available through other means.

I guess since the IGS store doesn't support Steam-only games this game should get removed from it, too. Not that it sounds like the developer cares.
PanicArts wrote:
i totally forgot having the game on IGS anyway

:x
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post February 21st, 2014, 2:19 pm

I emailed the Hero Siege devs to ask them if people that bought the game and don't use Steam would have their money lost because they could no longer play the game.

This is their reply:

we are not interested in supporting IGS or Desura, steam just works so much better. Its always a big ass pain updating the game on other channels, we are trying to pull desura out anyway

So basicly, those who bought it on other distribution platforms other than Steam and just simply don't use Steam can no longer play the game and have their money lost. Well, that's a thing...

It kinda reminds me of the Teleglitch situation but in that case they were being published by Paradox and Paradox is known for having their games Steam only, with a few exceptions.

Post February 21st, 2014, 2:27 pm

I'm happy I waited with buying it, because of all the new bundles starting recently and a limited budget to spend on videogames :)

Post February 21st, 2014, 3:38 pm
Moo

Anamnesis wrote:
I wonder how many more indie games will suddenly drop the DRM-free as soon as they're greenlighted? What a shonk!

Yeah... "Screw you, little guys, I'm playing with the big boys now" ?

And only the most "casual" of piracy is prevented by Steam. PWYW is probably more effective for getting people to own things "legit".

Why has it not been pulled from IGS already?

Next

Return to Featured Game Deals