Board index IndieGameStand Featured Game Deals Operation Smash [Nov 8th-11th]

Operation Smash [Nov 8th-11th]

Official threads for IndieGameStand's 4-day game deals

Post November 8th, 2013, 8:49 am

Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post November 8th, 2013, 9:56 am

And why no Linux build again? Its promised on Desura. I asking because sometimes developers mark games Linux-compatible on Desura, but dont provide actual builds (yet) or not supporting them (like Lightfish, which simply aabndoned).

Post November 8th, 2013, 10:04 am

?????

"And why no linux build again?"

Not sure how to respond to that......if you are confused about why the developer doesn't have a linux build, you can contact him directly. We also don't have anything to do with how Desura lists their products, so if the game is linux compatible on there, that is something you have to take up with them.

Let's discuss the game please...not what is "promised" on Desura.

EDIT :::: I will contact the developer to see why the Linux build isn't up, and notify you if it is.
Matt "Canj"
Marketing / Community Manager
Twitter: @MattCanj

Post November 8th, 2013, 11:06 am

Wooh, glad to see this one featured here, looking great!

Does anybody know if it has controller support?
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post November 8th, 2013, 11:13 am

Yes, it have - "Yes, I plan to add better gamepad and remapping support for all platforms in the next update.", but gamepad buttons is predefined and cannot be configured...yet.

Post November 8th, 2013, 11:18 am

Looks pretty interesting, with strong 16-bit influences. Mega Man, Metroid, and Zelda are clear sources of inspiration, and I think I recognize a few other SNES games' influences as well (maybe some Sparkster and Contra?). I think the dev, Steve Olofsson, must be a survivor of the SNES era.

I would be interested in hearing from people who have played the game. What do you think? A modern homage to a bygone era? A re-interpretation of previous games? A completely new game drawing on tried and true mechanics?

Post November 8th, 2013, 11:22 am

canj wrote:
?????
EDIT :::: I will contact the developer to see why the Linux build isn't up, and notify you if it is.

I think that edit is the more appropriate response. It's good to see you recognized the opportunity to self-edit without needing someone else to point it out. Well done.

Post November 8th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Wonderful, a double post to point out how usefull the edit button is :roll: :roll:

Anyway, stupid question. But, is this game worth it? Is it like cave story, la-mulana etcc. or is it one of those unpolished game maker games?

Post November 8th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Dorus wrote:
Anyway, stupid question. But, is this game worth it? Is it like cave story, la-mulana etcc. or is it one of those unpolished game maker games?

Seems pretty good to me so far, and the music is great. Pretty polished, and plays well, although I keep getting these weird horizontal lines across the screen, like a tiling error.

Post November 8th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Skipped this one, doesn't gets my heart pumping any harder.
I'm sure i'll get this game in another bundle but not worthy to buy alone, I have enough platformers like this.

Post November 8th, 2013, 2:02 pm

I played for just 5 minutes and so far its pretty nice. Looks like it Metroidvania.
Unfortunately, controls is not type i lake, and movement have strange acceleration so its kinda unusual.
And of glitches due Wine .
Imho, its game worth to get, since its not a lot proper metroidvanias nowdays.

P.S. Ok, i stuck completely

Post November 8th, 2013, 7:45 pm

GnomeSlice wrote:

Also, if you watch the video in the post, you'll hear the lper say gamepads aren't supported. Any updates on this? Looks like a game where controller support would be ideal, so i'm glad to hear they're working on it.

BTW, your igs community video graphic used at the beginning looked nice.

Post November 8th, 2013, 10:31 pm

PlayerReview wrote:
GnomeSlice wrote:

Also, if you watch the video in the post, you'll hear the lper say gamepads aren't supported. Any updates on this? Looks like a game where controller support would be ideal, so i'm glad to hear they're working on it.

BTW, your igs community video graphic used at the beginning looked nice.

Looks like all you can do with the gamepad right now is move left and right. I set up a joy2key config for everything else, but hopefully it will get properly supported soon.

And thank you!

Post November 8th, 2013, 11:49 pm

The OST is pretty good. It almost makes me want to buy the album on Amazon, which includes Ripple Dot Zero's OST, their previous game.

Post November 9th, 2013, 3:13 am

Hello, Dev here, just responding to some speculations:

Gamepad Support:
On windows and OSX when you start up the game, a prelauncher window will appear. You can set up screen resolution, full screen/windowed and vsync. In the other tab you can remap your controllers. It's been tested only with the xbox 360 controller. If you have problems mapping the gamepad, another possible solution is to use software that remaps the gamepad to keyboard inputs.

Linux Version:
The Linux version does not have button remapping and resolution settings because Unity does not include the prelauncher in the linux version. So at the moment I'm still contemplating if i should even have linux support or not. Thats why I didn't want to include the Linux version.

More details:
This game is made in Unity and games built with Unity comes with a prelauncher where you can map keys and set screen resolution. However, this prelauncher is not included in the Linux builds, so here is how you set screen resolution:

(Taken from Unity support pages: Docs.unity3d.com)

Use these flags when launching the game:
-screen-width (Linux & Windows only)Overrides the default screen width. This must be an integer from a supported resolution.
-screen-height (Linux & Windows only)Overrides the default screen height. This must be an integer from a supported resolution.

The default controls are:
arrows: move and jump
v: attack
c: grenades
z-x: switch weapon
enter: move forward in dialogs
escape: pause the game/view map

Post November 9th, 2013, 4:46 am

I've been playing for 4 hours now, and I have to say that Operation Smash is very good. The "Metroidiness" hits all the right buttons, with all the exploration, getting a new power, and then squeezing hidden secrets out of old zones. The mechanic where you bat enemy bullets around is used well, early on it's your only ranged response, later it's a shield to rush headfirst into bullet hell. There's a healthy amount of that going on, your tools and enemies change through the game, and your tactics have to adapt too. Dust had problems with the combat mostly being the same, and the enemy threat pretty much collapsing towards the end. I'm halfway through Operation Smash, and I think it's avoiding those pitfalls tactfully.

If you're already done with Dust and Guacamelee, this is definitely worth picking up.

Post November 9th, 2013, 9:05 am

mrjinx wrote:
Hello, Dev here, just responding to some speculations:
Linux Version:
The Linux version does not have button remapping and resolution settings because Unity does not include the prelauncher in the linux version. So at the moment I'm still contemplating if i should even have linux support or not. Thats why I didn't want to include the Linux version.

Use these flags when launching the game:
-screen-width (Linux & Windows only)Overrides the default screen width. This must be an integer from a supported resolution.
-screen-height (Linux & Windows only)Overrides the default screen height. This must be an integer from a supported resolution.

Lol, like running application with console arguments was ever any problem for linux user. I'm sorry, but if THIS is that you call problem, i have GOOD news for you. Its NOT a problem. MUCH more problematic is to use wine and install 32bit libs to run this game on 64bit Linux. Thats why i still prefer to run native 64bit build (i know Unity builds 64bit for linux).
Ofc, it would be good to have such prelauncher and so on, i telling you even litte harder to use but native build is BETTER then using things like Wine.
And about your contemplating, let me remind you that games like Grave Digger (was on deal here recently) or race The Sun is made on Unity to and they have similar problem with absence of prelauncher but they released linux builds anyway.
On contrary, Unity game Farm For your Life have no Linux build and just stalling in wine.
Last edited by Toyotame on November 9th, 2013, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post November 9th, 2013, 11:38 am

mrjinx wrote:
Gamepad Support:
On windows and OSX when you start up the game, a prelauncher window will appear. You can set up screen resolution, full screen/windowed and vsync. In the other tab you can remap your controllers. It's been tested only with the xbox 360 controller. If you have problems mapping the gamepad, another possible solution is to use software that remaps the gamepad to keyboard inputs.

Is there any way we can adjust the analog deadzone? I have an Xbox 360 controller, and a known problem with them is that the left stick has a tendency to come to rest slightly to the left of the center. Operation Smash is so sensitive I often have to fiddle with it to get my character to stand still (for stuff like saving). It's not a huge issue, but if there's a way to adjust that, it would be nice.

Post November 9th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Ok, with some help i made it pretty far...that can i say - 100% Metroidvania. FREAKING hard at some areas (really, it just bloody hell in magma filled caverns). Feels like Cave Story had little influence on game too.
Overall game is made very well. I recommend it to everyone.

Post November 10th, 2013, 6:24 am

https://indiegamestand.com/past-deals.php

congrats on IGS getting to 250k total over all the bundles :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

Next

Return to Featured Game Deals