Board index IndieGameStand Store Recent Issues Making Purchases on IndieGameStand

Recent Issues Making Purchases on IndieGameStand

Official thread for the IGS Store


Posts: 5
In the last few days, I have had 2 purchases (Source Control and You Still Won't Make It) where there has been an issue redeeming the key on Desura. When I try to redeem the key, I get a "key you are trying to accept has expired" error message. I have sent emails to both companies to get this resolved, but is this something we are going to have to deal with when we make purchases on IndieGameStand?


Posts: 1566
Location: Ottawa, Canada

I think this is generally caused by confusion with Desura's backend service for developers. I've known a couple developers who have needed two or three attempts to get working keys generated by Desura. Apparently it's not very easy to use the system. :?

If you let someone at IGS know, I'm sure they'll bring it to the attention of the developer. Contacting the developer directly is often the best way to get this resolved, though you might have to wait a while unfortunately.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Image


Posts: 272
http://indiegamestand.uservoice.com

Log a help ticket there. You bought the game here, not from the dev.

IGS not only gets paid for it by the suppliers as a store, but it's also easier
to resolve most likely as seperate keys sold and to which user are visible to
Store and end-user only I sorely hope.


Posts: 609
Location: Wilmo Delaware! Represent

Unfortunately services like Desura, Steam, etc don't provide ways/services to verify keys before distributing them or without redeeming them so this can happen from time to time. It does seem to be more frequent with Desura, but ultimately we only have so much control over the key submission process. Developers request the keys from the service and we provide an easy way to upload them to purchasers. We do a quick verification of key format - but like I mentioned before, we cannot actually verify the key will work without redeeming it ourselves.


Posts: 5
Duck, this is why I contact the developers directly:

http://indiegamestand.uservoice.com/kno ... how-do-i-f


Posts: 272
SortableTurnip wrote:
Duck, this is why I contact the developers directly:

http://indiegamestand.uservoice.com/kno ... how-do-i-f


That would actually be illegal here, so disregarding that FAQ post. Stores have full ownership of the goods sold legally (here).
It's no different than say, buying a microwave oven to use a blunt example. Not like the store is plugging every one of them in
either.


Posts: 888
Just to short mention i wanted to remind that GOG allows key validation in redeeming process. For one at time. You dont need to actually redeem key to know if its works. Another dirty trick - nor Desura, nor Steam invalidates key if you trying redeem product (exact same product!) you already have, its just says "Ok, key valid, but you already own it" (on Desura at least).
But i agree that it would be nice if store provide some type of form where you can upload\paste keys and check their status (valid, invalid, redeemed), but stores tends to put image that they "kind of dont know" about out-of-store key trading and selling.


Posts: 1566
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Toyotame wrote:
But i agree that it would be nice if store provide some type of form where you can upload\paste keys and check their status (valid, invalid, redeemed), but stores tends to put image that they "kind of dont know" about out-of-store key trading and selling.

The problem with something like that is that it would be easy for someone to write a script to try millions of combinations and end up getting free games. If you try to do this through Steam itself, Valve can probably track that you've made thousands of incorrect attempts, and do something about it. Not sure if Desura has anything like that in place, but I would imagine so.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Image


Posts: 888
GnomeSlice wrote:
Toyotame wrote:
But i agree that it would be nice if store provide some type of form where you can upload\paste keys and check their status (valid, invalid, redeemed), but stores tends to put image that they "kind of dont know" about out-of-store key trading and selling.

The problem with something like that is that it would be easy for someone to write a script to try millions of combinations and end up getting free games. If you try to do this through Steam itself, Valve can probably track that you've made thousands of incorrect attempts, and do something about it. Not sure if Desura has anything like that in place, but I would imagine so.

Well, i never said that such things should be accessible for everyone. Such functionality may be made accessible to limited number of verified stores, like IGS. If we talk about public access, its possible to use restrictions too, CAPTCHA, limit of requests per time period and so on.


Return to Store

cron