Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions Inverto (Formerly Gravitron)

Inverto (Formerly Gravitron)

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Would you like to see this game on IndieGameStand?

Yes, please!
12
75%
Undecided.
3
19%
No, I hate cool games.
1
6%
 
Total votes : 16

Post August 6th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Posts: 1356
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Game: Inverto
Developer: Gravity Box Studio
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux
Now available for preorder through Desura
Please support this game on Steam Greenlight!

The demo can be found on the game's website, here.

I first came across this on GameJolt a couple of months ago when the developer first uploaded the demo/prototype and was really impressed at the polish it had for a one-man team. It's a puzzle-platformer reminiscent of TRI, Quantum Conundrum, and Portal. I chatted with the dev for a bit in the Gamejolt lobby too and he seems like a pretty cool guy although his English isn't perfect. I'm sure he'd be willing to have a feature here in the future.

I realize this game is (currently) only $4 and we have a semi-rule about suggestions being at least $5 retail, but I'm suggesting this anyway because I am extremely impressed by the polish and presentation, and games in this genre tend to attract a lot of attention ever since Portal. The game could use the popularity boost too, and it certainly deserves it.

Also, the price will go up as the game progresses in development, so it's only sort of lightly bending the rule. ;)

phpBB [video]


Short Description

"Inverto is a first person shooter-puzzler with gravity manipulations. Game is ideological successor of such games as "Prey" and "Portal" with a pinch of parkour. Proceed all of the testing areas as a simple researcher with your trusty GraviGun. Prepare to explore Escher-esque spaces and solve navigational puzzles by changing gravity direction, employing body momentum and fighting nausea (only if you have weak vestibular system). "Inverto" is developed on Unity3D game engine and is planned on Windows, Mac, Linux and Web. Will be released later this summer. Current version of the game is in alpha state, and does not represent final product quality."

Greenlight Description:

You play as a private detective, ex-Space Ranger signed up on a dangerous testing experiment, in an attempt to find a researcher in Gravity Labs facilities and uncover an evil conspiracy, mandatory, in such cases.

Proceed all of the testing areas with your trusty gravity gun (some resarchers gently call it 'Gravitron'). Prepare to explore Escher-esque spaces and solve navigational puzzles by changing gravity direction, employing body momentum and fighting nausea (only if you have weak vestibular system), pushing boxes and carrying a lot of different keys.

  • Gravity manipulations in first person view.
  • Puzzles built around concept of switching gravity direction and employing physics laws in order to proceed.
  • Explorable environment to improve your gameplay experience, Use keys, keycards, switches or even heavy objects to open some doors, procced to some areas.
  • Find secret rooms, hidden passages, corridors and shortcuts.
  • Clean and simple art style

Some secret game features, that are not presented yet in alpha version:

Teleports. As you have already seen in a trailer, Inverto makes use of teleports, its not a mega revolutionary feature, but it adds complexity to the puzzles I'll present in near future.

Energy circuits. They control energy flow in Gravity Labs. Teleports, for example are connected with a circuit line which defines next teleportation point. Circuits can have branches, which means different teleport can be chosen. Some objects are powered by them, like, bridges, doors, force fields. In this case different branch powers different device, level part etc.

Physics. Actually it's not new but used in a new way. Some parts of a level might be blocked from player access, but it's not always have to stay that way. Proper use of gravity direction, heavy objects and physics laws may break out a new way for you. Like this giant bit in a trailer you've all seen.

Gyroscopic switches. Some switches in a game does not require player interaction, rather they use gravity direction. Just like in real life gyroscopes do. That means some devices connected to such switch, can be turned on only when gravity vector is correct.

Fast facts:
  • 'Inverto' is developed on Unity3D game engine and is planned on Windows, Mac, Linux and Web.
  • Game will be released at the end of this year.
  • Game formerly known as 'Gravitron' (see second video)
  • Game is developed by one-man studio.
Last edited by GnomeSlice on August 10th, 2013, 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added Greenlight description, which is a lot more detailed.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Image

Post August 7th, 2013, 8:40 am

Posts: 332
Location: Yorktown Heights, New York

Yes yes yes

Loved the freeware version and the expanded version sounds even better
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post August 8th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Posts: 864
Cell shading. I love it!

Post August 8th, 2013, 11:39 pm

Posts: 332
Location: Yorktown Heights, New York

Game just released on Desura! Bought and playing now. I'll post impressions later
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post August 9th, 2013, 1:53 am

Posts: 332
Location: Yorktown Heights, New York

0.50 Alpha Impressions:
Now this is what I'm taking about. A great improvement over the freeware version. That was nothing but a warmup!
More levels, larger more expansive levels, more challenging, stats that track completion time, collectibles that require extra puzzling to collect, revamped environments
Definitely worth $3.99 IMO
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post August 10th, 2013, 11:40 am

Posts: 1356
Location: Ottawa, Canada

The developer just launched the HD Demo, with updated graphics and effects. It's looking pretty amazing, and you guys should all check it out right now.

Here are some of my screenshots

Image

Image
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Image

Post August 20th, 2013, 6:19 am

Posts: 4
Location: Ukraine

Hi and A BIG Thank you for mentioning Inverto! So glad that I have an active community now :)
Inverto is being updated now on Desura (uploaded files are waiting for approval), in couple of days update will be available for download.
I have some free time to PR my game a little.

Here are some fresh screenshots:
Image Image Image
As GnomeSlice mentioned there are some "secret game features", well they are not secret anymore, since they are now presented in alpha.
So
GnomeSlice wrote:
Teleports. As you have already seen in a trailer, Inverto makes use of teleports, its not a mega revolutionary feature, but it adds complexity to the puzzles I'll present in near future.

Energy circuits. They control energy flow in Gravity Labs. Teleports, for example are connected with a circuit line which defines next teleportation point. Circuits can have branches, which means different teleport can be chosen. Some objects are powered by them, like, bridges, doors, force fields. In this case different branch powers different device, level part etc.

Physics. Actually it's not new but used in a new way. Some parts of a level might be blocked from player access, but it's not always have to stay that way. Proper use of gravity direction, heavy objects and physics laws may break out a new way for you. Like this giant bit in a trailer you've all seen.

Gyroscopic switches. Some switches in a game does not require player interaction, rather they use gravity direction. Just like in real life gyroscopes do. That means some devices connected to such switch, can be turned on only when gravity vector is correct.


Can now be observed on some game levels. I'm planning to gradually update all levels (including existing) with these features in one way or another. But right now I'm working on next two levels that will be included in the next update.

P.S. And sorry for my English. Totally not my native language :oops: .
P.P.S. HD version is almost one year old (I've done it for Unity DirectX 11 Contest), so it is more buggy.

Post August 20th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Posts: 1356
Location: Ottawa, Canada

GravityBox wrote:
Hi and A BIG Thank you for mentioning Inverto! So glad that I have an active community now :)

So does this mean you're interested potentially having Inverto featured here on IndieGameStand?
Because that would be awesome! :D
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Image

Post August 30th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Posts: 1356
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Inverto was just recently updated with full controller support! Cool!

I doubt many players prefer gamepads for games like this (Portal comes to mind), but I love gamepad support in pretty much everything. :D
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Image

Post August 30th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Posts: 332
Location: Yorktown Heights, New York

GnomeSlice wrote:
Inverto was just recently updated with full controller support! Cool!

I doubt many players prefer gamepads for games like this (Portal comes to mind), but I love gamepad support in pretty much everything. :D

As a long time console gamer, I still prefer gamepad to KB/M in first person shooters
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post August 30th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Posts: 1356
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Bronxsta wrote:
As a long time console gamer, I still prefer gamepad to KB/M in first person shooters

BROFIST :D
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Image

Post August 31st, 2013, 5:34 pm

Posts: 4
Location: Ukraine

Yeah, It's kind of hard for me to beat all levels with controller, but community asked, so why the hell not?
There are some problems with x360 controllers though, (axes are mapped for flightsim maybe?) so now I need to get that controller for tests. Don't know why this gamepad has totally different control scheme than my Logitech Dual Action, it has same amount of buttons and joysticks...

Post August 31st, 2013, 5:36 pm

Posts: 864
You may not believe me, but i prefer cell shading like not-hd graphics

Post August 31st, 2013, 5:37 pm

Posts: 1356
Location: Ottawa, Canada

GravityBox wrote:
Don't know why this gamepad has totally different control scheme than my Logitech Dual Action, it has same amount of buttons and joysticks...

That does sound strange. The Xbox gamepad for Windows is probably the most common PC game controller out there though so it would be ideal for Inverto to support it correctly. :)
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Image

Post August 31st, 2013, 5:38 pm

Posts: 864
Inverto будет следующей игрой так?

Post September 29th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Posts: 1356
Location: Ottawa, Canada

GravityBox just posted some news on Desura, about a new level editor he's finishing up for the game! Check it out here!

phpBB [video]
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Image

Post September 29th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Posts: 332
Location: Yorktown Heights, New York

GnomeSlice wrote:
GravityBox just posted some news on Desura, about a new level editor he's finishing up for the game! Check it out here!

phpBB [video]

Oh wow, this is awesome. Talk about replay value. Stuff like this is what makes Inverto stand out from the other first person puzzle platformers

Can't wait
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post September 29th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Posts: 4
Location: Ukraine

Hi!
My plan was to add standalone version of the editor here as a bonus content, for people to play around a bit while I finish it and integrate it in a game. Editor is coming out smooth and nice, not like the game in general. I hope a tool like this will simplify development and attract more attention :) It should have been developed in a first place!

Post September 29th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Posts: 332
Location: Yorktown Heights, New York

GravityBox wrote:
Hi!
My plan was to add standalone version of the editor here as a bonus content, for people to play around a bit while I finish it and integrate it in a game. Editor is coming out smooth and nice, not like the game in general. I hope a tool like this will simplify development and attract more attention :) It should have been developed in a first place!

One suggestion I'd make is to have a prerequisite that creators must be able to finish their levels before submitting (and I mean, finish, like playing through and completing the level they made). That would prevent people from creating unbeatable crap levels.
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post September 29th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Posts: 4
Location: Ukraine

Yes, it can also be some sort of rating/voting system. Crap levels will always exist, no matter what (if only there was a way to auto-check it). That way we can filter those maps out.

Next

Return to Game Suggestions