Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions Defender's Quest II: Mists of Rain

Defender's Quest II: Mists of Rain

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Would You Support This Game For IGS?

Yes
86%
No
14%
Don't Know
No votes

Total votes : 7

Post January 20th, 2014, 1:42 pm

phpBB [video]

Game: Defender's Quest II: Mists of Rain
Platform: PC/Mac/Linux (Steam, GOG, DRM-free)
Developer: Level Up Labs

Game Description:
Defender’s Quest II: Mists of Ruin, or DEFQ2, is the sequel to Defender’s Quest: Valley of the Forgotten (DEFQ1), a critically acclaimed Tower Defense / RPG Hybrid.
Defender's Quest II: Mists of Ruin takes place in a world whose surface is covered by a toxic, heavier-than-air gas known as "Mirk." (much more details on site)
Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Consortium
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

Post January 20th, 2014, 2:58 pm

First game was amazing. I doubt we'll see this here, but we can always hope. New art is interesting, not sure if I like it more than the pixelly stuff in the original.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post January 20th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Yes from me, but "only after first one on sale here" or in bundle with first.

Post January 21st, 2014, 2:17 am

GnomeSlice wrote:
First game was amazing. I doubt we'll see this here, but we can always hope. New art is interesting, not sure if I like it more than the pixelly stuff in the original.

I am definitely disappointed and I like this art less then one in prequel. Not because it was pixel-art. But because this childish head-as-big-as-rest-of-body "art" disgusts me.
steam acc: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074769015/
desura acc: http://www.desura.com/members/lurtzcz
cat in my avatar is called Wendy. (and it is male, "Wendy" sounds gender-neutral in Czech)

Post January 21st, 2014, 6:04 am

I would love to see it here, but don't feel that is a realistic hope. The first one wasn't bundled and I intend the buy the second at full price, as do many others. I hope the story is as good as the first was. The graphics were never the draw for me, although I expect they'll improve over the screenshots.

I would have suggested this months ago when the first spoiler was shown (I first heard from Zorder), but that wouldn't have made much sense. But, I have seen some stuff come to IGS I never expected, so maybe I'll be shocked and we'll see this eventually.

Post January 21st, 2014, 9:47 am

well maybe we could see here first installment now when second is about to be released.

it could work as promotion for second one. IGS should try to go for Defender's Quest I.
cat in my avatar is called Wendy. (and it is male, "Wendy" sounds gender-neutral in Czech)

Post January 21st, 2014, 7:08 pm

Lurtz wrote:
IGS should try to go for Defender's Quest I.

I agree with this and the comments above; the new art style really doesn't appeal to me. Quite off-putting, in fact. That comes after absolutely adoring the art in DQ1. And now that DQ2 is on the horizon, maybe they'd be happy to let IGS have a go at heavily discounting the first game. I would certainly be interested in a few extra copies for friends and random strangers.

Post January 22nd, 2014, 11:37 am

As I have stated in the IRC chat before: all of Lars Doucet's (of Level Up Labs)gamasutra articles and twitter posts indicate that the game will most likely never be seen in a bundle or PWYW site. The game might fit into the store-front, since they are definitely open to and willing to embrace promotions and sales (especially on indie-heavy store fronts), but being part of a PWYW-style promotion is almost (at least from my assessment of his philosophy) an impossibility in regards to Defenders Quest 1 and/or 2. It is most likely a pipedream to get it onto the deal-side of IGS.. especially since he is using DQ1 as a bonus for pre-orders of DQ2. It would be nice to see, as has been voiced here in this thread, but probably an impossibility. Maybe once DQ2 has been released and sales have slowed down in a year or two, but even then, that is a huge maybe from my perspective.
Know all of your enemies
We know who all of our enemies are
steam : twitch : desura
Way to plant, Ann!

Post January 22nd, 2014, 12:05 pm

Just had a quick twitter conversation with Lars Doucet and the answer is a pretty definitive no in regards to the 4-day deal and the store front. Looks like IGS just really isnt that competitive compared to GOG or Humble Store front. Less exclusive, yes, but for an established name like Level Up Labs the rates just don't seem to justify the time it takes to deal with yet another store front.
Know all of your enemies
Way to plant, Ann!

Post January 22nd, 2014, 12:14 pm

To tell truth, i was able to get that, first game for less then 3$ years ago, on Because We May sale...when it not even was released. Even then it was "meh" for me for two reasons - 1) Flash (yes, its AdobeAir\Flash game 2) Tower Defense.
So, even if they dont get that game here i cannot care less. I know developers is very proud of themselfes, but...if they became that proud to deal with "small store" and IGS is "not their level" then its their loss.

Post January 22nd, 2014, 1:01 pm

Actually, it's not their loss. They are making enough money through direct sales and steam/gog/humble to not need to bother with IGS, which has the purported philosophy of helping out lesser known indie games reach a larger audience than they could on their own.. DQ is well known and doesn't particularly need the exposure..

re:Flash, there are several GREAT games made in Flash (Binding of Isaac just being the first one to pop into my head, VVVVVV was originally a Flash game, Incredipede is another Flash game that's great) so that isn't a detriment. Hell, even an Academy Award nominated movie "The Secret of Kells" was animated using Flash. There are also shitty games made in other languages other than those used in Flash (You know, like Aliens: Colonial Marines, Call of Duty mega-franchise, Ride to Hell: Retribution, good god the list could go on forever) so.. I don't see how being a Flash game is any sort of marker for the quality of a game. In fact, making a great game within the limits of the Flash engine can only speak to the ingenuity and creativity of the game developers.

And from what I understand, it's a business strategy to keep the most amount of money/cut from game sales as you can. It seems like if IGS had been around when Defender's Quest was coming out for the first time and needed exposure, things might have been different. Knocking a business (and don't kid yourself into thinking the game industry is anything other than a business) for trying its best to maximize profits is just plain.. well, stupid.
Know all of your enemies
Way to plant, Ann!

Post January 22nd, 2014, 1:36 pm

cst003 wrote:
there are several GREAT games made in Flash (Binding of Isaac just being the first one to pop into my head, VVVVVV was originally a Flash game, Incredipede is another Flash game that's great)

VVVVVV later was ported to C, guess why?
Incredipede is showing awful performance on everything except windows due flash limitations. On linux its even request to run in Chromium. Bleh.

Another example - Anodyne. Nice game, but have you seen its Android port? ZOMG i can only say, its simply awful. All thanks to Flash limitations.
cst003 wrote:
There are also shitty games made in other languages other than those used in Flash

Thats not making these languages bad, thats means that developers made crap or didnt even care at all.

cst003 wrote:
In fact, making a great game within the limits of the Flash engine can only speak to the ingenuity and creativity of the game developers.

Nope, its means that developers did mistake at very start while choosing their language and tool, and at the point they understood that they was wrong it was way to late to cancel all. Lets take Quest Run for example, nice game, but developers in their twitter said, for some reason, that its last flash based game, next one will be Unity or custom engine.

cst003 wrote:
Actually, it's not their loss. They are making enough money through direct sales and steam/gog/humble to not need to bother with IGS, which has the purported philosophy of helping out lesser known indie games reach a larger audience than they could on their own.. DQ is well known and doesn't particularly need the exposure..

Well, fine. Great that they doing good. But its bad that they developed so much of self-estimate. IGS feature a lot of GREAT games. Not all of them, ofc, but many pretty BIG titles unexpectedly poped out here. So, if DQ is so comfortable with ignoring IGS i guess that it means only that IGS stuff should look elsewhere.

Post January 22nd, 2014, 2:46 pm

and this mods can close this thread.
It is suggestion for game that we now know will never happen.

And btw Toyotame: what you say proves that you don't know anything about programing, engines and languages so keep your opinions to yourself

Post January 23rd, 2014, 3:41 pm

Lurtz wrote:
and this mods can close this thread.
It is suggestion for game that we now know will never happen.

And btw Toyotame: what you say proves that you don't know anything about programing, engines and languages so keep your opinions to yourself

How mean. Well, i maybe i'm really not that qualified to point difference between various languages, BUT i experienced enough to say that :1) Flash is dying as platform 2) Flash is awful on anything except Windows, deprecated on Android and Linux, 3) Installing Air packages on 64bit Linux is NEVER AGAIN.
So. EXCUUUUUUSE me for wishing Flash platform and Flash-based games painful death.
If developers want to use toothbrush to clean their bathrooms - thats sure is creative, but nothing like smart.

Return to Game Suggestions