Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions Paper Sorcerer

Paper Sorcerer

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Would You Support This Game For IGS?

Yes
82%
No
18%
Don't Know
No votes

Total votes : 11

Post November 22nd, 2013, 3:20 pm

phpBB [video]

Game: Paper Sorcerer
Platform: PC/Mac/Linux (Steam, Desura, DRM-free)
Developer: Ultra Runaway Games

Game Description:
A single player turn based RPG focused on strategy, party-building, and environmental puzzles. Fight with the skills and spells you’ve learned in a battle system that emphasizes strategy over grinding. Assemble a party of monsters and dark creatures to fight alongside you. Explore and solve environmental puzzles to unlock secret paths and find extra loot! A double-sided adventure, an RPG with adventure game elements.
Last edited by letsmaybeLP92 on February 5th, 2014, 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    The Floor Is Jelly
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

Post November 22nd, 2013, 3:43 pm

Ah, beat me to it.

+1, looks great. And I have a friend who tells me it's really interesting as well.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post January 8th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Game is Greenlit ;)
Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    The Floor Is Jelly
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

Post January 8th, 2014, 10:44 pm

Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    The Floor Is Jelly
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

Post January 9th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Personally, had it not been for what is most peoples Indie of 2013 in Rogue Legacy, this was my Indie game of the year. And despite its striking visual esthetic, as well as its oddly addictive soundtrack the truly enjoyable thing of it is the combat systems. While If it were me I would have taken the ending chapters a slightly different direction, the game was all around great and was one of the most enjoyable RPGs I have played in quite a while.

All of it is even more impressive when you consider that it was made by (mostly) one guy. I enjoyed it so much I am also waiting till payday to buy the soundtrack to support so more can be made, though once the dev finishes up integration with Steam I figure it will be rolling in financial support. For all the evil Valve is guilty of with Steam, It is undeniable how much it has helped give indie games a leg up due to exposure to the Steam faithful.

Post January 9th, 2014, 9:38 pm

viroodiem wrote:
For all the evil Valve is guilty of with Steam, It is undeniable how much it has helped give indie games a leg up due to exposure to the Steam faithful.

What about all the games that haven't been able to get onto Steam? :(
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post January 10th, 2014, 2:23 am

GnomeSlice wrote:
viroodiem wrote:
For all the evil Valve is guilty of with Steam, It is undeniable how much it has helped give indie games a leg up due to exposure to the Steam faithful.

What about all the games that haven't been able to get onto Steam? :(

Haha. I try to for once say something nice about steam.

Well I have a couple of thoughts on that. One is that while steam has helped, steam is not the solution to anything. It is not alone, nor should it be. Outlets like Desura, IGS, GoG can also share in distribution. In that respect it is actually kind of good that not every game gets green lit. In fact It would be nice if Steam was more selective because really with how many they already greenlight it is little more than a monopoly hoarding for the sake of eliminating competition. In fact if Steam were more selective, it would let those other outlets pick up the slack and you would see the emergence of cultural conditions. Sort of like in the old days of the console wars, when having a specific console meant you would get a consistent spectrum of games with similar design philosophies. I recall how the NES & SMS were basically performance wise on par, but the SMS games tended to look more grainy and darker and NES games were much more consistent with brighter color that because of less overall pixel variation less visually coarse, for example

However that leads me to the second thought. Many indie games are so tiny, niche, broken and/or incomplete that it is really hard to justify trying to sell them, much less host server space and bandwidth for digital distribution. So it is understandable that not every thing developed should by default be distributed. For example look at all the various different incarnations out there of "Slender"

While the greenlight system is far from perfect, what I was talking about was Steam long before greenlight was ever thought of. Imagine the state of Indie games today had Valve a decade ago only created steam for the digital distribution of their own proprietary software and only distributed mainstream 3rd party games. Then it becomes a question of if Steam would have become the juggernaut it is today had it not been off the backs of indie games filling in that massive library. Hard to deny the benefits of making an RPG and being able to share "shelf space" on the only place to access the PC version of the current Elder Scrolls game, or similar situations.

Post January 10th, 2014, 12:16 pm

This looks great.
I would buy it if it were featured.
what a refreshing conjunction of originality and time-proven classic.
steam acc: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074769015/
desura acc: http://www.desura.com/members/lurtzcz
cat in my avatar is called Wendy. (and it is male, "Wendy" sounds gender-neutral in Czech)

Post January 10th, 2014, 11:24 pm

I don't know how many of you saw, but Jesse Cox did a Fan Friday episode for Paper Sorcerer:

phpBB [video]

It was also mentioned on the Polaris podcast. All good stuff, hopefully helped get the game noticed a bit. That being said, this would probably make for a great feature here.

Post February 5th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Now on Steam :D
Games I Support For IGS:
    Cinders
    Beat Bros
    Delver's Drop
    Long Live the Queen
    The Floor Is Jelly
    Deo
    Shovel Knight

Return to Game Suggestions