Board index IndieGameStand Game Suggestions [Store Suggestion] Strata

[Store Suggestion] Strata

Is there a great indie game out there that you'd like to see on IndieGameStand? Let us know!

Would you like to see this game on IndieGameStand?

Yes, I'd buy it
25%
Yes, but I wouldn't buy it
50%
Yes, if it were on Android
25%
I don't think it should be added to the store
No votes

Total votes : 12

Post October 7th, 2013, 1:06 am

Game: Strata
Devloper: Graveck
Platforms: PC, Mac, iOS, Android
Distribution: DRM-Free, Desura

I've been playing a game called Strata, and I think it's really great. It's casual puzzling boiled down to its purest form. No distractions, and no fluff. It's vaguely reminiscent of early 2000's puzzle games like Descartes Enigma, and that is certainly a good thing.

Strata is a beautiful game. The minimalistic graphics and interface are gorgeous, and a joy to use. The musical sound effects are pleasant and relaxing, and everything about the game just oozes class.

I urge you to try out the demo online and support Strata on Steam Greenlight

phpBB [video]

** Runner up for Most Innovative Game Design on the Indie Showcase at Casual Connect USA 2013!

** Nominated for a Unity Award 2013 for Best 2D Visual Experience!

A truly unique puzzle experience that embraces simplicity, elegance, and challenge. Strata paints a simple yet engaging puzzle game onto a sophisticated canvas of color and sound. Test the limits of your brain by completing complex weaves of color to solve a puzzle.

The point of the game is to strategically layer colored ribbons to match a pattern. Using forethought and strategy you must sequence your moves correctly. Over time patterns emerge and your tactics may evolve, but Strata will keep you on your toes with increasingly difficult puzzles.
Image <-- Join the IndieGameStand Desura Group!

Post October 7th, 2013, 1:15 am

Great game, definitely worthy of the store. Feels better on iPad though IMO. Here's my review of the IOS version
While Strata was released for PC and Mac earlier this year, the game was always designed with mobile platforms in mind and now you can play this brain-teasing abstract puzzle game on IOS.

Your objective is simple: presented with a grid, you must fill each channel with a colored ribbon to match a pattern. The catch is that the color ribbon represented on the pattern must always be the top weave. You earn a rating of Perfect for achieving this feat on one try and while some may disagree, I don't think earning these ratings is trial and error. Strata is the best kind of puzzle game, the type where you can achieve perfection if you think about the mechanics. You can study the grid and envision how the ribbons will interact, how one move will affect the outcome three or five moves later, and once you place the first ribbon, the solution falls into place with some thought and analysis. The logical approach to the puzzles is incredibly rewarding and excels at making the player feel smart, especially when the grids grow in size and amount of colors.

On top of the brilliant puzzle mechanics, Strata is a masterful blend of minimalist audio and visuals. The design is such a natural fit for touchscreens in terms of its simplicity and the interplay between music and weaving creates a soothing relaxing atmosphere.
Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!

Post October 7th, 2013, 4:51 am

Tried the demo while back, liked it but wasn't quite set on buying then.

Simple, elegant, good mechanics; just not terribly re-playable..

Post January 21st, 2014, 10:15 am

I hadn't been paying attention, but this is available on Android now.

Post May 14th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Return to Game Suggestions